Controversial Stuff…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

Not sure where I should have posted this, but I wanna hear your guys’ opinion on some things.

First up is… *drumroll* SOY *gasp*.
    Specifically, I’m talking about “natto” which is soy beans that have undergone fermentation. I know a lot of research nowadays have shown that soy isn’t the best food to consume. However, it’s also been shown that it’s fine and actually is beneficial if fermented. And we all know that fermented foods are good for the gut, digestion, etc. “Miso” is another fermented soy product (paste) I believe, as well as soy sauce. Any thoughts on this? I haven’t eaten any soy products for a long time now. Not that I miss it or anything, just thought I’d ask.

Secondly, “carbs.” Right now, most would agree to the following: sedentary people = don’t really need them; active/training/athletes = beneficial for performance.
    NOW, when you look at a lot of people (mostly Asians, but many people from other places too), people pretty much eat rice and such on a pretty consistent basis. Many of these people aren’t necessarily training. Elderly folks eat rice. Not all of them are fat; in fact, there are many people who have no health issues with this type of diet. What gives? Are they biologically “different” than the audience that low-carb diets are aimed at? Is it just that they’re overall energy consumption is at maintenance? I guess those “healthy” folks eat very high carb, but low fat and I don’t know about protein, I’d assume somewhat adequate as they haven’t shriveled up and died. I realize these things aren’t black/white, but I’ve always been intrigued.

Thirdly… I actually don’t have anything right now. Regardless, any thoughts or comments on the above two points are very much appreciated.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Richard Schmitt

1) I think the thing with soy is that if you consume it day in and day out in mass quantities, it’ll hurt you. Little amounts here and there, really shouldn’t do all that much. Hell a lot of stuff we consume have some soy in it.

2) Comes down to calories, and portion. Seriously. Don’t need much rice and water to fill you up.

Robert Haas
    Participant

1) I agree 100% on the fermented being very good. Even unprocessed isn’t really that bad. The problems come along when it’s processed with the worst IMO being the soy bean oils used in salad dressings and cooking sprays. very high in adulterated Omega 6’s that the body just doesn’t know how to process so it ends up in the liver causing major damage. It also contains estrogen mimics. Those prone to estrogen dominance really need to avoid it. High estrogen and estrogen mimics bind to alpha receptors in fat cell blocking the beta receptors from the adrenaline hormones that metabolize fat. So, even in a calorie deficit those with high estrogen (and estrogen mimics) levels hang on to fat.

2) epigenetics is part of it I think – the DNA sequences through evolution make some people more prone to genetic switches than others. That and what Tex said.

The eyes can't see what the mind doesn't understand.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

Donโ€™t need much rice and water to fill you up.

Haha, I don’t know about you, but it takes a butt load of rice to fill me up… ๐Ÿ˜›

So, even in a calorie deficit those with high estrogen (and estrogen mimics) levels hang on to fat.

I’ve always wondered if I have a high estrogen level… even at my leanest, I’ve always ALWAYS held onto fat, on my love-handles and some bitch tits. But like Big Tex said, soy is in pretty much everything these days. And soybean oils and cooking sprays, that’s why I really avoid eating out unless it’s raw vegetables, pure meat/fish that’s either boiled, grilled, smoked, etc… I know people like to add oils to everything over here, and it honestly scares me.

epigenetics is part of it I think โ€“ the DNA sequences through evolution make some people more prone to genetic switches than others. That and what Tex said.

Now that’s interesting, and something I’m definitely going to look further into. And right, I forgot people tend to have an appetite of an insect over here… These days, when I walk around town most people are either super skinny like a twig, or they’re really fat. Don’t come across the in-between-ers much anymore. Obesity is definitely increasing at a crazy rate over here too.

Thank you both for your insights by the way!

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Robert Haas
    Participant

If you want to know for sure just get a blood test. No guess work. It will be there in black & white if there is an E2 problem.

The eyes can't see what the mind doesn't understand.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

I just found out that getting a test costs around $500. Sooo maybe in the future or if wherever I work offers things like that lol.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Controversial Stuff…

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?