Damn Chest…

• This topic has 10 voices and 28 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

AciD

You know the problem – my chest SUCKS.Both strenght and sexiness. I'm carrying 200lbs x 5 (my BW :// ) reps and that's it. Can't get past it :/Tried shockwave - honestly, took me nowhere. I'm trying Bill Starr's 5x5 and nothing.Anyone had same problem and got it on the right track?Thanks!

I have the same problem, I've hardly got it to budge with anything I've tried. I'm hoping I'll be able to make some headway with Keifers program.

AciD

This is also my hope, but seeing how slow it goes with the challange, I think I'll have time fore something new :]

One thing that did seem to help my was floor presses, once I started doing them my numbers started moving again, albeit slowly.

zewski

stop benching for a while. I spent a good time only doing overhead press, decline and low incline db pressing and when I came back to benching after a couple months (for strictly shits and giggles) my 5-rep max went up by 10 pounds or so. Granted I put on weight too so that might have been the main cause for strength gains. As far as sexiness (and arguably performance) the flat bench sucks and can fuck up your shoulders. Stick to decline work for a while (at least a month), through either decline db press or weighted dips and I doubt your chest wont grow.

AciD

How about decline bb?

zewski

Also great, I just have a bias for DB's 😉 Avoid inclne barbell though, and I should also mention to focus on the chest press the DB's with your palms facing in.

maxwkw

I like doing flys with a band, and doing some upper back work BEFORE benching. I find I can activate my pecs better then.

Gl;itch.e

Avoid inclne barbell though

Strongly Disagree.  Nothing wrong with incline barbell. In fact I did them as my sole pressing exercise for about a year when I had shoulder pain and couldnt touch any flat pressing. Gained strength/size and had no shoulder issues at all. Decline puts a lot of pressure on my AC Joint. Im able to flat press again now but have to be careful not to over do it or the issues flare up again. IMO the best pressing exercise for chest is the one you can feel in the chest and add the most weight to and experience the least amount of injury. For me thats Incline BB Bench.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I was in a huge rut for bench press for over a year and recently I got out of it.  First I examined my technique.  I was not using proper bench press technique.  I was not pinching my shoulders back and arching my back.  I fixed this by doing a ton of chest supported rows and chest supported shrugs.  These upper back exercises are very good for increasing bench strength.  I also read that to teach your body to tuck your arms to do lots of neutral grip dumbell bench presses.Also try working on explosiveness by benching at 60% of your max.

I was in a huge rut for bench press for over a year and recently I got out of it.  First I examined my technique.  I was not using proper bench press technique.  I was not pinching my shoulders back and arching my back.  I fixed this by doing a ton of chest supported rows and chest supported shrugs.  These upper back exercises are very good for increasing bench strength.  I also read that to teach your body to tuck your arms to do lots of neutral grip dumbell bench presses.Also try working on explosiveness by benching at 60% of your max.

+1You really have to have a good "feel" (mind-muscle connection).  As with all body parts, don't get $h1t with technique.  Try different rep-ranges, too.  You need to make sure you work for your body, and your muscular fiber make-up in a given part.Also, don't ego-lift.  If you can't feel it (in a good way), then you aren't working it!  This is the same for people who do biceps curls, but get more of a lower-back workout.Hit inclines and upper chest work hard -- as people tend to lack a good upper chest.  You don't want a droopy, man-boob look.  Everyone can use more upper chest!Do SOME flat work, like standard benching or flat flyes.Either leave lower pec work out, or stick with ONE compound move:  decline bench or chest dips.  Too much lower pec work, and you can get a droopy, moob look.Here is a sample routine that I've used for chest hypertrophy (works for me):Flat Bench Press:  4 x 10, 10, 8, 8Incline DB Press:  3 x 10Cable Flyes:-low pulley:  2 x 10-mid pulley:  2 x 10-high pulley:  2 x 10Will get you in and out of the gym FAST (~30-45 minutes), but you will feel it!  Really focus, and work!Cory

acarnovale

Why don't you video a set or two if possible so we can take a look at your technique? Often times just a small change in technique can yield big results.Also, if you don't aleady have a MASSIVE amount of upper back work in your program already I would suggest you add it immediately. Bench is primarily upper back, triceps and lats.

AciD

My upper back ex. are shrugs and deadlift, and that's about it. I do pendlay's row so my upper back is not that stimulated.I am arching my back, and have a quite good technique. Come to think about it, maybe my grip is too narrow?I am keeping my just-right-before-pinky finger [don't know it's name in english, sorry :D] on the power ring.Anyway - I was thinking about modifying my 5x5 a little bit (as I am writing below 5x5, I mean the 5x5 system, so mon is 5x5 wed is 4x5 etc)Mon:1.Squat 5x52.Incline BB or normal bench press 5x53.Pendlay's row 5x54.Decline bench - Not really sure how many reps / sets here5.Heavy flies - as above6.BicepWed:(I'd like to also work on my shoulders)1.Squat 5x52. Push press or military press ? 5x53. Deadlift 5x54. Side lateral Not really sure how many reps / sets here5. Bent over lateral Not really sure how many reps / sets here(or if you want you can suggets your version of my shoulders trainig)Fri:1. Squat 5x52.Incline BB or normal bench press 5x53.Pendlay's row 5x54.TricepWhat do you think?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

You definately want to add upper back work.  As I said before, chest supported rows are my favorite.  If you can't do those, start rowing to your chest instead of your waist.

AciD

Pendlay's row is to the chest ^^I'll add chest supported rows on friday, thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Damn Chest…

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?