Dangers of Fish Oil?

• This topic has 5 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

BenjaminD

troypulk
    Participant

Edit:The article didn't say but were does she get the idea that fish oil supplements are omega-6/PUFA?Some fish oil supplements may be mixed with PUFA but if your not checking what your taking you might be a little ignorant.Pure fish oil is omega-3FA and people in the know should be taking those.I stand corrected, I was under the impression that O-6FA and PUFA were the same.From what I remember it doesn't matter that it's PUFA what matters is the O-3FA to O-6FA ratio, what's bad is that O-6FA is high, O-3FA should be higher than O-6FA

Omega-3 are PUFA. Period.Anyway, there is some talk about excess fish-oil supplementation being harmful from extra oxidative stress. But remember the reason most of us take higher dosages isn't for health reasons.From a purely health perspective we'd likely be better off not using supplemental fish-oil, eating some fatty fish a few times a week, eating grass-fed beef, and avoiding omega-6

backlash79

http://robbwolf.com/2011/10/05/fish-oil/A good read backing away from the "mega" dosing of fish oil recommendations he and many others had recommended years ago.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I remember Robb Wolf saying that you do not want to supplement with a lot of fish oil if you have a diet high in Omega 6.  So those people who say “I can consume all the omega 6 I want, I just have to balance it out with omega 3!” are doing more harm than good.  The fish oil actually becomes pro-inflammatory in this situation.So I guess the best course of action is to first cut your omega 6 intake THEN you can supplement with fish oil if you like.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Dangers of Fish Oil?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?