Deads or Rack Pulls

• This topic has 4 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

gerry yerves
    Participant

My form on dead lifts is atrocious, I'm Fine on low weight, but as soon as i start getting into the 65%+ areas my form is out the window. I guess my options are work low weight and strengthen whats causing the bad form, or rack pulls, which i don't lose form in. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

My form on dead lifts is atrocious, I'm Fine on low weight, but as soon as i start getting into the 65%+ areas my form is out the window. I guess my options are work low weight and strengthen whats causing the bad form, or rack pulls, which i don't lose form in. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

What exactly is the problem with your deadlift form?

gerry yerves
    Participant

When lifting heavier weight my back rounds, i can't seem to keep my upper back contracted and chest out.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

When lifting heavier weight my back rounds, i can't seem to keep my upper back contracted and chest out.

Sounds like a technique error and possibly a lack of upper back strength.  Just practice your deadlift with good form and for an assistance exercise, deadlift off blocks with a snatch grip.  You'll need straps for this.If you post a video I can give you more advice.

gerry yerves
    Participant

Will definitely give these a try, also added  prone middle back shrugs into my back routine to try and build upper back strength.  As for a video I'll see if i can find someone to shoot it, i generally train alone at the big box gym.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Will definitely give these a try, also added  prone middle back shrugs into my back routine to try and build upper back strength.  As for a video I'll see if i can find someone to shoot it, i generally train alone at the big box gym.

Get creative.  If you have a smart phone, just place the phone on something, record, and deadlift.  I never get anyone to videotape my sets.

TCB
    Participant

Rack pulls CAN be a good way to fix a deadlift problem, gradually lowering the position you pull from as you get better. But it depends on the cause of your problems. It could be simply you don't know how to breathe or load your hips correctly.As for strengthening the back, try front rack holds. Or, unrack a weight in a front squat position, hold for 10-15 seconds, squat down, sit in the bottom for 4-7 seconds, stand up. That's one rep. Your posterior, and your abs will hate you.

gerry yerves
    Participant

Will give those a try, always looking for ways to make ymy posterior chain hate me.

michael graves
    Participant

Both. I alternate each back workout. Either start with deadlifts or end with rack pulls.Rack pulls will.dfntly help.with the top.half when.using heavier weight if you cant get a full deadlift.Could be the bottom half that is making your form break. Without a good start you will never really.be able to build up weight without jepordizing your loser back by rounding.Took me a bit to break through 405-420 range with good pulls. Up to 465 singles. Once over 315.  Never more than 3reps. Form will start to break downSent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

TCB
    Participant

Another, and probably smartest, approach is to just simply use the weight that you start breaking down at as your “training max” and do all percentage/rep work based off of that as a max, and you'll probably find the weight that you break down at increasing overtime.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Another, and probably smartest, approach is to just simply use the weight that you start breaking down at as your "training max" and do all percentage/rep work based off of that as a max, and you'll probably find the weight that you break down at increasing overtime.

That's what I would do. 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Deads or Rack Pulls

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?