Distance running

• This topic has 4 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

bmill027
    Keymaster

Apologies if this topic has been addressed somewhere in the forums already – I'm just getting started here! I'm curious what kind of effects distance running would have on the CBL program. I'm participating in a a high-altitude half marathon and need to put miles on and am wondering if it would fit in. My back-load days are my lifting days and the running would be my 'off' days. Anyone have an opinion on the matter or can point me in the right direction? Thanks a ton! Can't wait to start this!-Ben

Damon Amato
    Participant

I think the only direction we might point you is back towards the weight room.  I'd very interested to see how your energy levels are while doing such long runs while going ULC though.  I doubt you'll get much advice for shear fact that very few people on this forum run for more than 30 seconds at a time.

It could slow down progress, both with fat loss and muscle gain.You'd want to just go ULC on day's that you do distance running, the day after backloading would be smart so you'd have full glycogen stores to use.What I'd recommend is having 1 distance day a week, and use the other days working HIIT sprints, something like 400-800 dash, it will bring your conditioning up and allow you to run and sub-maximal HR while accessing fat store for energy for a longer period of time.

bmill027

So it looks like I'm going to be a guinea pig. Sounds good to me!  Do you have any suggestions for alterations in the CBL program to better fit what I'm doing? I'm presently happy with my weight and fairly happy with my strength so I would have been doing the strength accumulation track. Also, I planned on only doing one (progressively) longer run each week to get my legs underneath me for it. The other two cardio sessions will be the HIIT I'm already doing.

So it looks like I'm going to be a guinea pig. Sounds good to me!  Do you have any suggestions for alterations in the CBL program to better fit what I'm doing? I'm presently happy with my weight and fairly happy with my strength so I would have been doing the strength accumulation track. Also, I planned on only doing one (progressively) longer run each week to get my legs underneath me for it. The other two cardio sessions will be the HIIT I'm already doing.

That sounds like the best plan you could use.Personally, I think endurance running is pointless outside learn the mechanics of running, which it sounds like that's pretty much what you are going for. =]The biggest thing you should focus on (at least I think) is have a backload the day before you will do any cardio, skip backloading when just doing cardio, sleep, and eat to keep the activity levels up.

bmill027

Trust me, I have the mechanics down! ha. It's all about teaching the body to deal with lactic acid at that point. Especially because I'm carrying an 8lb pack and the race is 8K' of vertical gain over 13.3mi. Pikes Peak. Beautiful place!The backloading will be naturally built in because my lift days and my cardio days alternate. For nights I do cardio, should I use the 'off day' planning? Would you also have any food recommendations to both keep energy (and likely weight) up?

Yeah, just doing a normal off day and keeping it ULC will be fine.Just lots of carbs to make sure you have full glycogen stores and some good protein and fat during the ulc days for energy. I love coconut oil and 90% dark chocolate for energy during the day, everytime I eat some I want to go out for a long bike ride, so you could try that.Also, I'm not a runner, but I'm jealous of where you are running, it sounds incredible.

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

Cardio not only decreases your tGLUT response, but decreases the amount of tGLUT you have available to translocate as well. So too much will be detrimental to your progress on CBL.

bmill027

Two more quick questions for those in the know. Due to the fact that I will be doing a bit of distance running, is it necessary to do the entire 10-day prep phase? If not, what would be recommended? The other thing. I don't drink coffee. Just can't do it. Is there any substitute for or anything that works like coffee in the am? I was considering a combo of coconut milk/ON pro complex, but thought that even the 2-3g of carbs might be a kill shot straight away. Thoughts?

You might be able to make it 7, but I'd just go the whole 10 just to be on the safe side.And if you don't drink coffee... No biggie. You could always supplement with caffeine, but it isn't that big of a deal either way.

bmill027

Thanks! I will be supplementing with caffiene. The transition should be smooth, anyway. I unwittingly did what was basically CBL last fall off the top of my head to great results. The minor tweaks that I've been provided in the program should only speed up and increase results!

enfenn

Keep us posted on your progress Bmill027.  I'm signed up for a marathon in a few months and I know all the pitfalls but I'm doing it anyway 🙂  Needless to say I'm  curious to hear any feedback from distance runner to help minimise the muscle decline.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Distance running

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?