Does HIIT make you feel like crap?

• This topic has 9 voices and 16 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

bbuchan

So I did HIIT today at 12pm and did it fasted only having coffee beforehand.  I completed 4 cycles of the 4:30 active rest 30 second sprint style recommended by kiefer.  I have to say I have never felt so awful after a workout in my entire life.  My legs felt fully engorged with blood to the point I couldn't stand after, I felt as if I might crap my pants and that I was gonna throw up on the spot.  I ended up laying down on the floor next to the spinning cycle for about 45 minutes afterwards.  I am used to intense exercise (I have thrown up multiple times during a lifting session) but I have never felt this particular way.  I should also mention I have been on antibiotics (Augmentin) for 3 days due to severe tonsilitis.  Do you guys do HIIT fasted?  I just felt like my body was taking a dump on itself

thestiffmeister
    Participant

I fucking HATE HIIT. It takes me a couple days to get my legs back, even worse than when I am doing heavy ass squats on a regular basis. The nausea and other stuff is mostly influenced by your glycogen stores, eating or not before cardio has nothing to do with it IMHO. Honestly though, the leaner you get the more HIIT will destroy your recovery and may stall your lifting progress, so it's one of the things I eliminate as I lose weight. I do HIIT when I'm bulking to keep the bloat down and improve cardio mostly.

jcgomez

I have used fasted HIIT intermittently as I have switched between CBL SA and CNS; and  SW J and SW R as called for in SW. Although not mentioned often, at least for me, rest has been an important factor in my progress. I wear a HR monitor when doing HIIT and get my heart rate above 200 per minute and have never felt quite as bad as you did. I suspect your illness–i.e., lack of rest–is playing a part.

Cropsy

I hate it too. Ugh, I can't walk up the stairs afterward. The worst was when I used to do mountain climbers to the tune of the Tabata Protocol.  Just thinking of it makes me feel ill.

Tanner Fox
    Participant

Even though 10 or 20 minutes looks “easy” when someone posts it that certainly isn't the case :).

meier.2007

Do you guys do HIIT fasted?

I've tried both and it doesn't seem to make a difference in regards of how it makes me feel and the effort I can put into it. Just having some coffee + VCO beforehand works fine for me. For the making me feel like crap part: it always does 😀 Doing sprints outside is worse though than doing HIIT on a spinning bike, and also tampers more with recovery of the legs (talk hammies). What I found interesting is, that once you've completed a couple of HIIT workouts, the body (mine at least) doesn't seem to get any 'better' at doing it: it still makes you feel like crap every single time, the switch from active rest to all out doesn't get easier and you can't complete a greater distance in the same all out interval.

prototypic

I have a Prowler and my experience early on with it was awful. I improved pretty dramatically over a short period of time. It gets better.Just an observation - my performance with the Prowler has diminished quite a bit since starting CBL. For whatever reason, I don't think my glycogen stores are sufficient enough to keep up with it. That's been a little frustrating.  >:(

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

Just an observation - my performance with the Prowler has diminished quite a bit since starting CBL. For whatever reason, I don't think my glycogen stores are sufficient enough to keep up with it. That's been a little frustrating.  >:(

Bigger backloads!

prototypic

Just an observation - my performance with the Prowler has diminished quite a bit since starting CBL. For whatever reason, I don't think my glycogen stores are sufficient enough to keep up with it. That's been a little frustrating.  >:(

Bigger backloads!

I'm experimenting with that, but haven't seen improvement yet. I'll keep at it. Thanks!

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I don't like doing HIIT totally fasted, I like to take some coconut oil prior to doing it.  For best results I would advise you to only do HIIT sessions after a backloading night.  HIIT is definately in a league of it's own when it comes to how you feel.  Personally I reccomend track or hill sprints over the spinning cycle because the spinning cycle works your legs too much.

dudsy

I have a Prowler and my experience early on with it was awful. I improved pretty dramatically over a short period of time. It gets better.Just an observation - my performance with the Prowler has diminished quite a bit since starting CBL. For whatever reason, I don't think my glycogen stores are sufficient enough to keep up with it. That's been a little frustrating.  >:(

How are you using the prowler? I have found i get the most out of it by using the prowler with 2 distinct variations. If i am doing a HIIT session i deload the prowler and do suicides with it, short sprints, focusing on speed of movement rather than resistance. Alternatively i also use the prowler in any strongman training as well, loading it with max weight and basically push it along at a slow walking pace. I only backload after the strongman sessions and have found im improving both conditioning & strength.

jcgomez

Per Kiefer, it also looks like we should have some form of PWO shake after HIIT.http://dangerouslyhardcore.com/forum/index.php?topic=3382.15

Fairy

Thanks for pointing that out!

Cropsy

Speaking of feeling like crap, did anyone ever do that awful Spartacus workout?  😛I used to do that three times a week. FML.

jcgomez

Thanks for pointing that out!

De nada.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Does HIIT make you feel like crap?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?