Exercise to Tighten Belly Skin

• This topic has 8 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Mjl1030

I have currently been doing a series of twists twice a day to help tighten belly skin. I was wondering what other exercises are great for that sagging skin? I have had it for a while from back when I was 250 (currently at 180).

Kaprice

I don't know, but I'm sure impressed with your weight loss. I'm at 259 and would be thrilled to get to 200.What diet/workout did you follow? How long did it take you get get to this point?

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

AFAIK you can't tighten skin. It does that by itself over time. I'm sure you can get some hypertrophy in your obliques doing that though – that might help some. It might just make you look wider around the waist though..

RagE

Build a bigger, wider and thicker back.

nickl413

Twists actually keep the skin loose, particularly in the love handles and are completely useless as an ab workout.    I have read that loose skin is related to insufficient hydration during rapid fat loss.  So if you are still losing weight, be sure you are drinking enough water.  It will tighten some over time.  Try to build some back, chest, and ab muscles to fill out some.  Thats about all you can do short of a nip/tuck.

RagE

It gets tighter by itself, but it takes a really really long time, and is painfully slow. I have gotten a tiny bit tighter over the last year, some from the skin actually getting tighter, most from putting on lean mass.  You just have you ignore it until it goes away 😛

Mjl1030

Interesting. I am not looking to lose too much more but possibly 10 lbs or so. I lost the majority of the weight over a year. I will stop the twists and build a little more lean mass to see if I can't get rid of some.

Richard Schmitt

I wish I knew the answer to this too…kinda weird noticing the extra skin/fat that I lost and gain. That whole yo-yo effect of training.

theabnormality

I have the same problem.  Went from 350 to 230.  I've heard that once you lose 40-50% of your body weight, you need surgery to fix the loose skin problem.  I'm trying to avoid going under the knife though.

Mjl1030

I actually have the liberty to work with one of the best plastic surgeons in Minnesota and I would def avoid it as well seeing it first hand daily.

AFAIK you can't tighten skin. It does that by itself over time. I'm sure you can get some hypertrophy in your obliques doing that though - that might help some. It might just make you look wider around the waist though..

I agree.The skin is elastic -- the degree depending on your age.  It will re-conform itself, overtime.  No amount of work will speed this up.Same goes for people who think they can blast away abdominal fat (to a six-pack) by doing crunches... it simply doesn't work that way.  If anything, that MAY build the muscle in your abs up, pushing the fat further up (making one look worse).I wouldn't even worry about direct ab work, Franco Columbo didn't.  The heavy compounds will work your core amazingly well.  At most, one could add planks.

surgery is only answer to get rid of loose skin.

Mjl1030

Good thing I work with a plastic surgeon.  😉

surgery is only answer to get rid of loose skin.

That is true, but it depends how loose "loose" is.  Someone in the teens, twenties and even early-mid thirties should bounce back fine -- unless they were morbidly obese, or have genetic predisposition to lack of elasticity in their skin.  Someone older might find it a bit more difficult.See how it goes, and if you NEED surgery, go for it.  Just give your body a chance at it first.

Chuck

A wider upper back will tighten the skin, and is usually easier to widen the back.Pull ups, deadlift, t bar row, etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Exercise to Tighten Belly Skin

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?