Flex your food – nutritional rant

• This topic has 5 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

So, due to the absurdity of 3rd party payment health insurance my company feels the need to run these generic health initiatives every year around this time.  Last year it was wearing a pedometer & having teams of people track their steps.  This year it's “Flex your food” where you're supposed to follow nutritional tips of the day.  I didn't sign up for it, but they've started leaving site-wide voice mails with the mis-information.  This morning's tip:"Eat Breakfast - we've heard it's the most important meal of the day and... "  Then I hit delete before I exploded.  Seriously, it's bad enough being micro-managed on all the technical aspects of my job, now the company needs to tell me how to eat the wrong way? For your entertainment & my stress release, I'll update this thread with the latest nutritional dogma as my voice mail receives them.

Scope75

This should be funny….

Gnomer
    Participant

Can't wait to see what else they say.

Ok, so looks like they were only leaving the voice mail to get people to sign up for the program.  I didn't sign up so I don't get the nutritional tips from the health insurance web site.  However, last week our company had a doctor in from a local Orthopaedics group in for our general safety meeting.  The title was: “Sports/Fitness Preparation: Keeping the Weekend Warrior Healthy and Safe”.  Since the audience was so diverse, he gave a general talk addressing 10 common misconceptions about staying healthy.  He briefly touched on nutrition and mentioned eating 60% carbs, 20% fat and 20% protein.  I was in shock.  I went up to him afterwards and basically he agreed that those are just the USDA guidelines and that it's not optimal for everyone.  Then he started to rant about Obama care and how they have to hand out government brochures to patients with generic information on them.Doctors go around making these general recommendations to sedentary & overweight populations and we wonder why there's an obesity epidemic.

Gl;itch.e

Ok, so looks like they were only leaving the voice mail to get people to sign up for the program.  I didn't sign up so I don't get the nutritional tips from the health insurance web site.  However, last week our company had a doctor in from a local Orthopaedics group in for our general safety meeting.  The title was: "Sports/Fitness Preparation: Keeping the Weekend Warrior Healthy and Safe".  Since the audience was so diverse, he gave a general talk addressing 10 common misconceptions about staying healthy.  He briefly touched on nutrition and mentioned eating 60% carbs, 20% fat and 20% protein.  I was in shock.  I went up to him afterwards and basically he agreed that those are just the USDA guidelines and that it's not optimal for everyone.  Then he started to rant about Obama care and how they have to hand out government brochures to patients with generic information on them.Doctors go around making these general recommendations to sedentary & overweight populations and we wonder why there's an obesity epidemic.

I dont know if the macro split 60:20:20 is really that bad or obesogenic. The foods that people choice to make up that split would be more of an issue IMO.

Ok, so looks like they were only leaving the voice mail to get people to sign up for the program.  I didn't sign up so I don't get the nutritional tips from the health insurance web site.  However, last week our company had a doctor in from a local Orthopaedics group in for our general safety meeting.  The title was: "Sports/Fitness Preparation: Keeping the Weekend Warrior Healthy and Safe".  Since the audience was so diverse, he gave a general talk addressing 10 common misconceptions about staying healthy.  He briefly touched on nutrition and mentioned eating 60% carbs, 20% fat and 20% protein.  I was in shock.  I went up to him afterwards and basically he agreed that those are just the USDA guidelines and that it's not optimal for everyone.  Then he started to rant about Obama care and how they have to hand out government brochures to patients with generic information on them.Doctors go around making these general recommendations to sedentary & overweight populations and we wonder why there's an obesity epidemic.

I dont know if the macro split 60:20:20 is really that bad or obesogenic. The foods that people choice to make up that split would be more of an issue IMO.

I agree, I think it may be slightly carb heavy but still the amount of food you consume dictates how overweight/obese you are.

This weeks tip!  Read by one of the company vice presidents himself:"Eat only whole grain bread and cereal"

Agreed, the split may not be bad, but then a lot of people hear that and think - "oh, so my frosted flakes & 1% milk for breakfast is perfect then".  Just validates bad habits.

Wow.  This fits into this topic as a rant too.  I took my kids to my sons elementary school yesterday evening for “Healthy heart night”.  They've been wearing pedometers all week and the school was set up with various stations to learn about staying “healthy”.  There were activities like yoga, zumba, running games, a blood pressure station, various other stations to do crafts or play games.  By far, the most interesting was the free snacks offered in the cafeteria.  Apparently these are viewed as healthy in certain western NY public schools:Bagged snack: various sun chipsdrink options: water, skim milk, 1% or chocolate milk (with 22 grams of sugar in it)Make your own trail mix using:  pretzels, chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, cheerios, some kind of dried fruit (maybe a craisin?)other: banana halves

Today's tip:  “Track what you eat and drink”.  Using online tools or a notebook.  I think just getting people to look at their sugar intake may shock many of them.

Spatz

Today's tip:  "Track what you eat and drink".  Using online tools or a notebook.  I think just getting people to look at their sugar intake may shock many of them.

Well at least thats a decent tip. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Flex your food – nutritional rant

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?