Food intolerances

• This topic has 7 voices and 18 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

agentmads
    Participant

Hi, not really sure where to post this, but anyway..How do you know if any of the foods you eat are negatively affecting training, physique (muscle building and fat loss) etc goals?Maybe it sound like a crazy question, but the matter of fact is that I never notice anything from the food I eat. I can backload 400 g of carbs from bread only without noticing anything differently from if I did it with rice or potatoes (although, I almost never do - I always mixes it up, but bread is always included, and so is dairy).Does that mean I shouldn't worry about it - or is there something I should be looking for? (like, how do I know if any food causes me inflammation?)

You will notice. You will have noticeable discomfort, bloat up significantly, and may even get sick.

agentmads
    Participant

Okay, so if that doesn't happen, you wouldn't worry about it at all?

Okay, so if that doesn't happen, you wouldn't worry about it at all?

Correct

agentmads
    Participant

Cake it is! Thx!

TCB
    Participant

I have a slightly different slant on it. You could possibly just be in a constant state of inflammation, therefore not noticing the negative effects of any problematic foods. That's where, I think, something like Kiefer's detox diet thing would come in handy. You basically eat very limited, non-inflammatory foods for a period of time. Then when you go back to normal eating, you may notice some deleterious effects of other foods once you've reset your baseline.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

I have a slightly different slant on it. You could possibly just be in a constant state of inflammation, therefore not noticing the negative effects of any problematic foods. That's where, I think, something like Kiefer's detox diet thing would come in handy. You basically eat very limited, non-inflammatory foods for a period of time. Then when you go back to normal eating, you may notice some deleterious effects of other foods once you've reset your baseline.

I agree.  If you are truly worried about food intolerances, and really want to know, -- an elimination diet of some kind is great to figure these things out.I had NO idea how wheat/gluten was affecting me or members of my family until we decided to cut it out.We've also had interesting reactions to dairy.You need to have these things out for a period of at least 3 weeks.  Out, completely.  Then add them back in (one at a time, at least a few days apart, if you are wanting to test multiple things) -- and see what you notice.The Whole 30 is a great program for this and their book, It Starts With Food, explains it all in detail.  But you can do it on your own, of course.  Simply eliminate the thing you aren't sure about for a few weeks, then put it back in and pay attention.I have had people tell me, "Well, I have no problem with gluten" or _______ (whatever).  My answer is that you don't really know HOW that food is affecting your body until you take it out for awhile and re-introduce it.  If it is something you have been eating your entire life, you really have no clue what life could be like without it.

agentmads
    Participant

I agree.  If you are truly worried about food intolerances, and really want to know, -- an elimination diet of some kind is great to figure these things out.I had NO idea how wheat/gluten was affecting me or members of my family until we decided to cut it out.We've also had interesting reactions to dairy.You need to have these things out for a period of at least 3 weeks.  Out, completely.  Then add them back in (one at a time, at least a few days apart, if you are wanting to test multiple things) -- and see what you notice.The Whole 30 is a great program for this and their book, It Starts With Food, explains it all in detail.  But you can do it on your own, of course.  Simply eliminate the thing you aren't sure about for a few weeks, then put it back in and pay attention.I have had people tell me, "Well, I have no problem with gluten" or _______ (whatever).  My answer is that you don't really know HOW that food is affecting your body until you take it out for awhile and re-introduce it.  If it is something you have been eating your entire life, you really have no clue what life could be like without it.

It's not that important to me...just want to make sure that something isn't in the way of progress. Actually, I have tried cutting out grains for a long time (several months) and when I re-introduced grains I had a really bad reaction. Was pretty much living in the bathroom for 3-4 days. Then after I had grains after that episode, I didn't have any problems. Kiefer said a couple of times that if you cut out a food for a extended period of time, you almost certainly will get a response from it, but that doesn't mean that you are even intolerant of the food.

Mag
    Participant

The only thing I can add to this,is that few years ago,I would have laughed my ass off at this whole gluten thing.But,I read a little thing about gluten that Keifer wrote…for the hell of it,I cut out a bunch of whole grain stuff,and my gas problems just disappeared over night.That simple.I always thought it was some complex interaction of different foods or spices that caused gas that would be too hard to figure out.There are so many other carb choices,so it was SO easy to fix.And I'm not such a dick about it when I am out,or at social occasions to worry about it,I just know that the other 90% of the time it is just so simple to control.So,I am way more tolerant of folks who talk about avoiding this or that...up to a point.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

That's right, Mag.  It's all about figuring out what works for you as an individual.  Some folks like to experiment, some don't.  Whatever.  But I could make a LIST of things just with the 5 of us in my family that we have taken care of through nutrition changes alone.  I shudder at the thought of where we would be if I had not taken a great interest in the effects of our food many years ago.  It would not be pretty.

TCB
    Participant

It's not that important to me...just want to make sure that something isn't in the way of progress.

Yes, food sensitivities can absolutely get in the way of progress via systemic inflammation.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Yes, food sensitivities can absolutely get in the way of progress via systemic inflammation.

+1

agentmads
    Participant

It's not that important to me...just want to make sure that something isn't in the way of progress.

Yes. And the question was if you'll notice if this is the case? Or out in another way, if you could be hold back from food sensitivities, if you do not seem to have any issues (like reactions) with any food?

Robert x Oleary
    Participant

Coming in late on this one, but the most accurate way to know if you have a food intolerance is to get an actual allergy test done. I know several IFBB Pros personally who do this. Though you may only have a minute reaction to the food that you're possibly unaware of, it can make a significant difference in the long run in regards to inflammation, retention, energy, body compisition, recovery and performance. And from my own experience. I love and feel totally fine eating red meat and gluten, but they both get cut weeks out before I hit the stage, and there's a noticeable dfference.

Rob Haas

Agree as well. Being a former "WTF is gluten?" guy I can tell you it set me back allot not knowing what it was and having to find out the hard way. I thought for a while I had Lyme disease. Even tested positive. Went through the treatments protocol and it didn't help with the debilitating joint pain. Then they thought it was rheumatoid arthritis. Once I figured out what gluten was and avoided it RA went away. Milk is another I avoid like the plague. More power to you if you take drink it, me, it makes me sick for days.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Food intolerances

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?