Galacto-Oligosaccharides

• This topic has 7 voices and 20 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Gnomer
    Participant

Reductionist science meets market profiteering. Drink milk.

Would that have the same effect?  GOS isn't fully digested.  I am under the impression that the galactose (broken down from lactose) is.

and even if it was doubt there really is enough in milk for therapeutic benefits unless you are drinking maybe a gallon+ a day.. and some of us can't handle casein anyway..  I bet FOS would show similar benefits though and is readily available in supplement form and cheap..

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Would that have the same effect?  GOS isn't fully digested.  I am under the impression that the galactose (broken down from lactose) is.

and even if it was doubt there really is enough in milk for therapeutic benefits unless you are drinking maybe a gallon+ a day.. and some of us can't handle casein anyway..  I bet FOS would show similar benefits though and is readily available in supplement form and cheap..

Well how much do you need?  Every glass of milk would have 6 g of galactose.

Gnomer
    Participant

no clue have seen some suggest 30-40g a day but honestly don't know.. doesn't really matter for me though I don't drink milk..

Gl;itch.e

no clue have seen some suggest 30-40g a day but honestly don't know.. doesn't really matter for me though I don't drink milk..

No I don't imagine it would have the exact same effect. But it would have similar effects plus other benefits besides what one isolated factor could provide. I personally think it would be a better idea to limit gut bacteria rather than feed what could be potentially deleterious strains. It's a crap shoot as you never know what bacteria is present and in what ratio.If anyone suspects "bad gut bacteria" to be a problem it would be wise to avoid hard to digest foods and the digestable fibres/starches that feed them. Sugar is a safer alternative to starch in this scenario as its digested higher up in the tract which prevents the bacteria from getting a chance to feed on it. Then foods that provide undigestable fibre (in this case meaning undigestable for both us and the bacteria) can be used to help manage/eliminate existing problematic bacteria and endotoxins. Carrot is one such fibre. Interestingly rats raised without stomach bacteria live longer and healthier (yes in lab conditions) than ones with them.

Gnomer
    Participant

No I don't imagine it would have the exact same effect. But it would have similar effects plus other benefits besides what one isolated factor could provide. I personally think it would be a better idea to limit gut bacteria rather than feed what could be potentially deleterious strains. It's a crap shoot as you never know what bacteria is present and in what ratio.If anyone suspects "bad gut bacteria" to be a problem it would be wise to avoid hard to digest foods and the digestable fibres/starches that feed them. Sugar is a safer alternative to starch in this scenario as its digested higher up in the tract which prevents the bacteria from getting a chance to feed on it. Then foods that provide undigestable fibre (in this case meaning undigestable for both us and the bacteria) can be used to help manage/eliminate existing problematic bacteria and endotoxins. Carrot is one such fibre. Interestingly rats raised without stomach bacteria live longer and healthier (yes in lab conditions) than ones with them.

very much agreed on this point which is why i would not ever take a probiotic or tell anyone to do so..nice article here talking a little on the subjecthttp://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_scary_truth_about_probiotics

Spatz

Great share on the bacteria topic, that is a nicely written article Sano. I especially enjoyed this quote about Yogurt…

It's probably best to avoid brands that contain sugar as these supposedly feed competing bacteria. I'd also recommend avoiding any brands that are advertised on TV by women who make orgasm faces when they eat the yogurt. Instead, look for stuff made by shepherds using yak milk or something; stuff that was strained through the burlap underwear of mountain women that has disgusting bacterial clumps in it. And I'm only half kidding.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Galacto-Oligosaccharides

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?