General Gym Admirations

• This topic has 13 voices and 35 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Fairy
    Keymaster

Let's start a thread about the things/people/etc. that you really like about your gym. What are the six things you love most about your gym? Why did you choose your gym? What's cool about your gym? Have you ever seen anyone doing something that inspired you at your gym?List anything else you notice, or love about your gym 🙂Note: This is a thread for the lovers, not the haters 😉

Fairy

I love my gym because it has:

• Natural sunlight
    • PowerPlates 🙂
    • FreeWeights
    • Big Mirrors (essential for all good gyms! 😉 )
    • Great lighting

I also love that it's very near my house.It has a huge swimming pool that I haven't got round to using (HIIT maybe?).There are actually a few cool women there who are into BB 🙂One of the PTs is just really friendly. There is a very forgiving atmosphere.When I go to the gym I hope that I can inspire other women to shift off the cardio machines and onto the gym floor.

Hmm, okay.Well I workout in a gym sometimes, but I also have a squat rack in my garage, a decent amount of weights, and everything I'd really need.Anyway, I love the my gym is close, I love that they have a decent selection of hammer strength machines, My best friend works out there so I have a partner, and there are a handful of woman who really train.Only 4. That's it.Hardly anyone touches the squat rack so I have it when I need it.I finally saw someone squat more then me. Not having a great squat I was happy to finally see this.Also, the few women who really train, I just love seeing woman lifting some real weight rather then doing "toning" work and cardio.It's heated, which with these sub 10-degree nights makes it much more comfortable then my garage, haha.

Fairy

Sounds great Trevor! Thanks for posting 🙂I know, I always love seeing people who can lift more than me too. It's just inspiring. Remember, you are also serving as admiration to other people at the gym when you're there lifting heavier than everyone else.

Robert Gray
    Participant

Why did you choose your gym? It was close, it was a cheap membership, it had a friendly staff and a great selection of weights.What's cool about your gym?The above, as well as the fact that it has reconnected me with some old friends whom I didn't know went there.Have you ever seen anyone doing something that inspired you at your gym?The other day I saw a serious lifter squat eight 45lb plates and some change.  That was a wake-up call.List anything else you notice, or love about your gym 🙂It's my retreat.  It's the place where enough people know my name for me to feel like part of the gang, but I still have peace to work out and clear my head.

Fairy

“It has reconnected me with some old friends whom I didn't know went there."Have you ever seen anyone doing something that inspired you at your gym?The other day I saw a serious lifter squat eight 45lb plates and some change.  That was a wake-up call."Wow! That sounds amazing! 🙂

Let's start a thread about the things/people/etc. that you really like about your gym. What are the six things you love most about your gym? Why did you choose your gym? What's cool about your gym? Have you ever seen anyone doing something that inspired you at your gym?List anything else you notice, or love about your gym 🙂Note: This is a thread for the lovers, not the haters 😉

1.  It has racks, plus all of the usual shit I could want (machine & free-weight).2.  It doesn't seem to attract as many pussies, like Equinox or Crunch do (they're more like night clubs).3.  Convenient locations for my schedule, all within 5-20 minutes travel by foot / mass transit -- straight-shot.4.  No bullshit rules (i.e., Deadlifting is OK, so is grunting or swearing, even chalk)....I could only think of 4, and they are really all that is important to me.I chose my gym years ago due to price for quality... no frills, all needs.  Now, I am grandfathered on a SICK price contract!!!  ;DI am inspired everyday @ my gym... when I look in the fuckin' mirror!  ;DThat said, I am highly inspired by a buddy of mine @ the gym, who has a fantastic muscular + cut physique (professional underwear and sport model).Cory

Fairy

Lol Cory 🙂 Glad you found inspiration.

thestiffmeister
    Participant

I chose this gym because it's the only one within 45 minutes of where I live.I like the ocean view, the fact I share the only squat rack with my powerlifting friend "The Dragon" who happens to have left a texas power bar there for me to use. We can also chalk up, bang our weights and such since people are generally scared of us. I love the fact that everything I touch is covered in rust and the sheer smell of despair this place has screams hardcore sauce. We have decent weights and some machines, but everything is either super tough (rusty pulleys) or shaky, so every workout is an exercise is defying death. No music and barely anyone uses the gym. No music, just the ocean breeze.Can't say I have been inspired much cept for the forementioned powerlifter who is 54, full of scars and old injuries, yet crushes shit day in and day out. He may lift a bit less than me, but he is one tough SOB and I respect that.Only problem is this is also a tourist spot, so people stare at me a lot through the windows, little kids especially. Also it's kind of strange having people shout "Good work!" when you leave the place 😛

sarah_h88

i really like my gym because it's an awesome mixture of different types of people of all ages/ethnicities/body types etc. it's really nice to see people making an effort to improve their health and fitness. the old people are so cute 🙂 and there's some REALLY BIG people there too, but i'm glad to see that they're trying. you have to start somewhere, right?it's also quite a tiny gym, but it's got everything i need. the right equipment, mirrors, and good lighting.it's also an 8 minute walk from my house, which is great 🙂the staff is really friendly. i'm actually going to talk to the owner about hiring me as a nutrition consultant there, because they currently don't have one. hopefully it would be an area they would like to expand in in 2013!so, quite happy with where i train at the moment 🙂

Bodynsoil
    Participant

I've spent 20+ years in gyms, when we built our garage I had a space made and filled it with my own equipment.. There is nothing better than never having to wait for anything.  The money I've saved on memberships paid for what went into the space.  The commute is great and I can wear whatever I want, partial nudity is allowed..  When I do go to a gym it is for access to Kick ass leg equipment that i don't currently have, added bonus, I get to workout with my son.. And I have no tourist staring in the windows..  Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Big_R
    Participant

my gym is great Because It's free!  Otherwise I wouldnt B on the list

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

What are the six things you love most about your gym?1.  The atmosphere; Lots of competitive and former bodybuilders, powerlifters, and even a few Oly lifters.2.  It caters to serious lifters and regular joes alike.  It doesn't promote an us vs them mentality.3.  Reasonable price ($35 per month for this gym is a steal)4.  Relaxed Rules5.  Specialized bars (Texas Deadlift bars, squat bars, swiss bars, chambered bars, and hex bars)6.  Monolift!!!!Why did you choose your gym?Close to where I liveWhat's cool about your gym?It is family owned.Have you ever seen anyone doing something that inspired you at your gym?Nothing too inspirational yet, but it's interesting to watch some of the more seasoned powerlifters train.List anything else you notice, or love about your gym 🙂It's the only place I have ever seen girls that were serious about fitness to the point they are actually lifting and doing real exercises.

Fairy

Wow, thanks for sharing everyone! Your gyms sound great! 😀I set some PRs at the gym today, so I will be moving from the 'medium' level weight rack to the one the big guys use! Very exciting! And I'm grateful that there is a full range of dumbbells for me to use 🙂I'm also glad there's lots of room for me to do my backward walking lunges haha 😀

Groogrux

What are the six things you love most about your gym? Free weightsLot's of different station optionsChild careLot's of classes/programs to join for free24/7 accessGood locationWhy did you choose your gym? When I joined, there were only two gym options in my town.  The other choice was a basketball gym with a tiny weight room, and it was ran by a church.What's cool about your gym? LOT'S of free weight options.  The also have an on-sight physical therapist, child care center, massage therapy, and tanning booths.  (I only use the child care center, and only when my kid is not in school.)Have you ever seen anyone doing something that inspired you at your gym?There are quite a few awesome people at my gym who have been awesome to talk to and give great pointers about certain lifts that I do.  The members there are quick to help out if they see someone in need.List anything else you notice, or love about your gym.My gym is kept really clean and has a nice open environment.  The decor and layout let you know that you are there to do some serious work but not be stressed out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

General Gym Admirations

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?