General Gym Observations

• This topic has 61 voices and 498 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 499 total)
  • Author

Damon Amato
    Participant

Some guy came in today hell-bent on doing the leg press. There are 3 leg press machines in my gym. One of my buddies need a spot on the leg press he was on. He had 8 plates on both sides (720lbs). So this dude comes in, starts unloading the machine even though we are standing right in front of it. After a SWIFT correction, by friend got under the machine banged out a set of 6 to failure. We got off the machine after this, the guy left two plates on both side (180lbs). After a set of 5, he put a 2.5 pound plate aka 5 pounds and did 3 sets of 5. This guy is in fairly good shape. What a jag. Who puts 2.5 pounds on a leg press.

I hate leg presses.  They just require too much weight and I am too lazy to put the weight on the machine!

OMG seconded.  I always end up doing lunges/step-ups/split squat. 

Meni

I guy took up the squat rack at Golds in Manchester NH, by placing his gallon of water in the rack, his belt to the side of the rack and just outside of the rack he did goblet squats with a light dumbbell.

Richard Schmitt

Well here's another one to tack onto the list. Have y'all ever gotten into a fight at a gym? Or felt like punching the lights out of someone? Well almost happened to me today. I was doing Chest and Bi's today, and I was doing Bench. Had this kid come over and ask to take some weights off of the bench I was using. Even though with it being packed in my gym, it took me a while to get the weights. I told him I was using them, and he insisted that I let him use them for “like two minutes”. Told him, “No, I am about to use them, I ain't going to wait around for you to finish.” right after that I moved over to incline taking and USING the weights. I was in the middle of a ELECT rep, when this same kid started taking the weight off of my rack!! I yelled out “Really!?” slamming the weights back into position and he put them back. Sulking and throwing a fit. Then here's the kicker, he continued to follow me every where I went in the gym, even to the door leaving the gym…I was pissed before but this stupidity made it worse. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Well here's another one to tack onto the list. Have y'all ever gotten into a fight at a gym? Or felt like punching the lights out of someone? Well almost happened to me today. I was doing Chest and Bi's today, and I was doing Bench. Had this kid come over and ask to take some weights off of the bench I was using. Even though with it being packed in my gym, it took me a while to get the weights. I told him I was using them, and he insisted that I let him use them for "like two minutes". Told him, "No, I am about to use them, I ain't going to wait around for you to finish." right after that I moved over to incline taking and USING the weights. I was in the middle of a ELECT rep, when this same kid started taking the weight off of my rack!! I yelled out "Really!?" slamming the weights back into position and he put them back. Sulking and throwing a fit. Then here's the kicker, he continued to follow me every where I went in the gym, even to the door leaving the gym...I was pissed before but this stupidity made it worse. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

One criticism I have of shockwave is that it is a very ineffecient workout regarding the amount of time it takes to set everything up.  I don't have a clue how anyone could that workout done in 45 minutes if they are in a busy commercial gym like most people here.  I'm sure you know what I mean if you ever tried it.  A suggestion I would make to Kiefer is if possible, design a version that uses 4 or 5 exercises with just more sets per exercise.

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

Do you have to use more than one bench at a time with shockwave? I genuinely don't know so I'm just curious. That's a personal pet peeve of mine when the gym is busy but I know some people superset. I suppose my biggest irritation is with the people that spend 10 minutes on one and then 10 minutes on another. However I would ask and then move on - not start messing with someone's bench  😮I think my closest "moment" to freaking out was a few weeks ago. This guy that's rather annoying most of the time but wasn't "in my space" decided to take my space. I was doing kickbacks using the seated bench. I only had one more set when he came up to me and said "you can do those over there." I was so shocked I actually just stood there while he proceeded to sit down and do bicep curls. I didn't expect it and knew I was going to say something bad so I let my steam off to my husband over on the squat rack. While I was "having my moment" I looked back at him and he was doing tricep extensions on the cables. Only did ONE set on that goddamn bench. My husband proceeded to stare him down - he left after that set. Tried to talk to me the other day, I don't think I noticed...That won't happen again. Can't believe I didn't say something - but be sure I will the next time. Gym etiquette has gone completely out the window and I won't hesitate to say that the trainers piss me off the most. They break EVERY gym etiquette rule POSTED on the walls (aka common courtesy) and we wonder why the people that work out, especially the ones that were trained, have so many problems. If their trainer did stupid sh*t then so will their trainees....Ok, done with my rant.

Richard Schmitt

I don't superset and the Shockwave Protocol has bench them either iso press or incline(I choose incline) then decline. I try to get done with those quickly so I don't run into that problem. I keep to myself when I train. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

soulmind

I superset but I move pretty quickly.  Plus if I see someone who is obviously eyeing one of my stations I ask them if they want to work in.  Sharing a bench is pretty easy if both people get on the same page.  If I'm doing 225 and you're doing 185 it's not hard to work together to change the weight quickly.  However many people seem unable to get this concept and don't work together.

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

I'm horrible but I don't like to share. Maybe because I'm in my own “world” but I LOVE my music and “my time” so working in with people usually brings about conversation and slows me down. But I will say in my defense, you never not know when I'm using something. I keep to one thing/area at a time and when I'm done, it's racked and I've moved… >.>What I can't stand is the guy at my gym that uses the squat rack for one set, then moves to a machine press for one set and then walks across the gym to the treadmill and proceeds to talk to everyone on the way from one to the next. Fifteen minutes later he moves back to the squat rack and does it all over again. If someone goes over to one of the plethera of things he's working out on thinking there is no one there, he then proceeds to come over and say "you can work in with me" like he's marking his territory but allowing you to join in.... as if he's even really "working" on it anyhow...

soulmind

I try not to linger on any station more than ten minutes (I do five sets of each station in my workout).  I wish others would do the same.  For the life of me I can't understand people spending an hour on bench doing ten plus sets.

Richard Schmitt

I like the fact that when a couple goes to the gym to train together and what not. But what happened today was uncalled for. I was suppose to use the Squat Rack and we only have two in my gym. Both were being taken up by a couple and a third wheel. So, I improvised by doing Hack Squats. Soon after that I finished moving to Leg Press. Those same group of people moved over to where I was at and used up the other Leg Machines. The couple began to hold each other real close and get all touchy feely. Right in front of me. Trying to get me off of the Leg Press I assume. But seriously?? Why in the hell would you bring that part of the relationship into a public place? Especially at the gym?? Am I wrong to think this way? Personally, that's wrong and inappropriate. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

pshannon

You should have throw some 2.5 pound plates on the side and repped it out son…for 3 hours. I saw some dude on a squat machine with a belt. No not a smith machine or hack squat or leg press. Also he set up the squat rack, pussied around and decided to do the leg press instead. Saw him squat last week...i'm not surprised.

Richard Schmitt

You should have throw some 2.5 pound plates on the side and repped it out son...for 3 hours. I saw some dude on a squat machine with a belt. No not a smith machine or hack squat or leg press. Also he set up the squat rack, pussied around and decided to do the leg press instead. Saw him squat last week...i'm not surprised.

I was tempted just to sit there and play on my iPod while doing calf presses with that 2.5 weight lmao

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

But seriously?? Why in the hell would you bring that part of the relationship into a public place? Especially at the gym?? Am I wrong to think this way? Personally, that's wrong and inappropriate. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Lol, no you're not wrong...I've been married 15 years and it's funny because we are there to train. Most people don't know we're together  😮We have different routines/goals...thought about working out together in the beginning but the difference in weights and loading/unloading was ridiculous and then taking up the space of two people (because couples at my gym seem to like working out side by side or even worse in-sync...) everywhere we go is more annoying then productive. Though I haven't actually seen the extreme you're referring to....that's messed up anywhere, but especially in a gym setting...

Richard Schmitt

But seriously?? Why in the hell would you bring that part of the relationship into a public place? Especially at the gym?? Am I wrong to think this way? Personally, that's wrong and inappropriate. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Lol, no you're not wrong...I've been married 15 years and it's funny because we are there to train. Most people don't know we're together  😮We have different routines/goals...thought about working out together in the beginning but the difference in weights and loading/unloading was ridiculous and then taking up the space of two people (because couples at my gym seem to like working out side by side or even worse in-sync...) everywhere we go is more annoying then productive. Though I haven't actually seen the extreme you're referring to....that's messed up anywhere, but especially in a gym setting...

I would enjoy having a girlfriend/wife who wanted to go train with me, I couldn't even possibly think about doing what they did in a gym setting. I envy the fact that you and your husband take part in something like that together. Though it is quite a sight to see when I notice a couple doing the exact same rountine with the exact same weights.

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

But seriously?? Why in the hell would you bring that part of the relationship into a public place? Especially at the I would enjoy having a girlfriend/wife who wanted to go train with me, I couldn't even possibly think about doing what they did in a gym setting. I envy the fact that you and your husband take part in something like that together. Though it is quite a sight to see when I notice a couple doing the exact same rountine with the exact same weights.

Quite honestly it's really great. We have each other for spots and it's such a big part of our lives that it's great to share that with someone....Oh - and on a random/relevant tangent...what about the GUYS (not couples...) who train in-sync. I read Muscle and Fitness Magazine and I'll see a routine that's interesting and every month I know who else has it because they will be trying it out side by side. It's just a little freaky to watch LOL....And to randomly tangent again, we saw this guy Saturday ask another guy for a spot and all I first saw was the bar totally crooked almost touching his chest when the "spotter" leans over and grabs the bar with an under/overhand grip (is that normal???? I've never spotted a bench press at that angle....). He struggles to help the guy get it up. So at this point, I stop, go over to my husband and give him the "you gotta watch this behind you" face. (so yes, having someone there is kind of fun)....and I watch the next set. The guy lowers the weight and the spotter isn't even near the bar. The guy is obviously going to fail at the bottom and then at the last second he grabs the bar. So wrong. Then TODAY (Tuesday) the guy next to me on the bench asks him (yes, he was there again) to spot. So of course, I HAVE to see this. SAME thing happened, guy could handle a few reps but he made him struggle for his life on the last one because again his hands weren't even near the bar and he had to grab it last minute to help the guy...ugh...just as the girl next to you for spot next time....OK. Done.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 499 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

General Gym Observations

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?