General Gym Observations

• This topic has 61 voices and 498 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 499 total)
  • Author

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I worked out at the gym at my work (something I rarely do) the other day and I heard two guys having a conversation in the locker room.  “How is your weight loss coming along” says the one guy.  The other guy says, “not so good, my measurements have gone down, but my weight really hasn't gone down”.  Apparantly the number on the scale is more important than actually losing bodyfat.  Unless this guy is training for some event that requires him to have a low bodyweight (he sure didn't look like it), he is a moron.

sigma

Watched some big dude bench press with 90lbs on the bar.  Must have listened to Keifer talk about how he does this and “throws the weight up” so hard he comes up off the bench.  The only problem was that this guy was letting go of the bar and literally throwing the weight about 2 feet up and then catching it.  Effective? maybe, maybe not….but this is a very crowded gym and all the bench stations are lined up next to each other.

pshannon

Watched some big dude bench press with 90lbs on the bar.  Must have listened to Keifer talk about how he does this and "throws the weight up" so hard he comes up off the bench.  The only problem was that this guy was letting go of the bar and literally throwing the weight about 2 feet up and then catching it.  Effective? maybe, maybe not....but this is a very crowded gym and all the bench stations are lined up next to each other.

THIS IS AWESOME! TRUE RESPECT FOR THAT DUDE

pshannon

Found this waiting for me this weekend

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Watched some big dude bench press with 90lbs on the bar.  Must have listened to Keifer talk about how he does this and "throws the weight up" so hard he comes up off the bench.  The only problem was that this guy was letting go of the bar and literally throwing the weight about 2 feet up and then catching it.  Effective? maybe, maybe not....but this is a very crowded gym and all the bench stations are lined up next to each other.

It's called a bench press throw.  It is actually a good move to develop power and explosiveness, but it is also very dangerous one.  I personally would do it with a smith machine.

Defiance

sigma

That's a good name for it.

pshannon

I have to bring this thread back to life. Does anyone find it super annoying when you see people come into the gym that have a significant amount of weight to lose around their belly and automatically go do ab exercises? I have two example of this that just annoy the shit out of me. Some dude with a HUGE beer belly comes in the gym and takes up either the 1 decline bench we have to sit there and do 1/4 crunches that he could just do on the floor, or not at all. He has a lot of weight to lose but he sits there just doing abs the fucking time hes in the gym. Never touches a cardio machine, and you know he goes home and eats like a pig. Hasn't changed in years....at least hes consistent? Some 20 something girl comes in strips down to literally just a training bra and yoga workout pants. You have all seen it before. Shes not overly fat, but she has that layer that just hangs there (not tight) The back fluff love handles just hang over the back of her pants. Not only do you have to have the ego of a super model to walk around a gym like this, but she does the stupidest exercises ever. You can tell she wants to get rid of the love handle fluff, so she goes a grab 5lb dumbbells an does 50 sets of side bends. She doesn't do them right, if there even is a right way to do them. (you know they dont work for tightening at all) Nothing has changed and she only does abs and ZUMBA classes. I wonder why shes got the fluff.

Damon Amato
    Participant

I feel you.  There is a personal trainer at my club who is my client, does CNS and shockwave.  Yesterday was working out with her BF who is also doing it, both with great results.  They had the BF's friend (obese, getting married in 4 months) working out with them, asking me about a few specific exercises and talking about CNS and also CBL with another client working out there.  The obese friend gave me the eye a few times but didn't say anything, and when the BF told him he should lose some weight before the wedding, he said he was going to do the elliptical for 45 minutes (after a shoulder/core workout)…..Head = asplode.

IronFreakShow

Great thread, I've about pissed myself reading some of these.My gym bitch from yesterday, I was doing some dips and had finished my first set. I backed off the machine to take a breather but was still standing there. I'm not a machine hog, and if someone asks to jump in between sets I'm cool. This 18ish something girl walks up and asks if she can use it to do some pull ups. This was a combo machine that has the assited lift if you need it. I said yeah go ahead...........She proceeded to do........i don't even know, her form was so horrible I couldn't tell where her sets stopped and started. she would do a few, and then just hang from the bar, while standing on the assist platform.......which had so much weight on it, it was basically pushing her to the bar........And the kicker, after I think 😮 she finished her first set and just hung there, I asked if I could jump back in, she told me to wait because she had 3 more sets.FREAKSHOW = RAGING BULL IN A CHINA SHOP

pshannon

I feel you.  There is a personal trainer at my club who is my client, does CNS and shockwave.  Yesterday was working out with her BF who is also doing it, both with great results.  They had the BF's friend (obese, getting married in 4 months) working out with them, asking me about a few specific exercises and talking about CNS and also CBL with another client working out there.  The obese friend gave me the eye a few times but didn't say anything, and when the BF told him he should lose some weight before the wedding, he said he was going to do the elliptical for 45 minutes (after a shoulder/core workout).....Head = asplode.

Thats totally fine right? That means he can go home and have ice cream right? I heard the more cardio you do the more weight you lose, and diet doesn't matter right?

Big_R
    Participant

Can't believe we haven't started this thread yet.....50 y/o woman in jeans doing bicep curls (about 1/2 the ROM), looked at me carrying a 50lb DB as if it was a car.Also (from my log), note to women who are 6 months+ pregnant:  stair stepper + shaking your butt + wearing only a sports bra for a top may have been ok SIX MONTHS AGO!Saw an older guy using the smith machine for squats literally going down 1/4 of the way.  I squatted next to him, we both started at 135.  Four sets later, I did 275, he was still on 135.  He looked over at me, looked at the weight, immediately racked up and left looking like I killed his cat.  What you got people?

Did the woman doing curls have a beard?  lol,  she sounds straight out of the trailer park!Actually, 1/4 squats can be quite useful if you are applying overload principles to your training... but if your using them as working sets than your a damn fool  HAHA  which i'm sure is the case with the angry guy doing 135

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

I have to bring this thread back to life. Does anyone find it super annoying when you see people come into the gym that have a significant amount of weight to lose around their belly and automatically go do ab exercises? I have two example of this that just annoy the shit out of me. Some dude with a HUGE beer belly comes in the gym and takes up either the 1 decline bench we have to sit there and do 1/4 crunches that he could just do on the floor, or not at all. He has a lot of weight to lose but he sits there just doing abs the fucking time hes in the gym. Never touches a cardio machine, and you know he goes home and eats like a pig. Hasn't changed in years....at least hes consistent? Some 20 something girl comes in strips down to literally just a training bra and yoga workout pants. You have all seen it before. Shes not overly fat, but she has that layer that just hangs there (not tight) The back fluff love handles just hang over the back of her pants. Not only do you have to have the ego of a super model to walk around a gym like this, but she does the stupidest exercises ever. You can tell she wants to get rid of the love handle fluff, so she goes a grab 5lb dumbbells an does 50 sets of side bends. She doesn't do them right, if there even is a right way to do them. (you know they dont work for tightening at all) Nothing has changed and she only does abs and ZUMBA classes. I wonder why shes got the fluff.

LOL!I was thinking of this thread the other day! Realizing I hadn't posted on it for a while!!! As for the women...I'm never a fan of any woman who just wears her sports bra and booty shorts. I always assume guys must be just fine and love it, but even if she was more attractive than the woman above wouldn't you want something left to the imagination?? And if it's not super-tight I don't know WHY anyone would want to expose everything. My husband told me the other day that Arnold used to wear cut-off shirts (course it was the 80's) to make him self-conscious at the gym so he wouldn't slack. I always wondered if going up to those girls and saying "are you trying to make yourself self-conscious?" would go over well...? 😮

TheDan
    Participant

Some people haven't always been in good shape and like to show off their body because they are proud of what they accomplished. As for the girls with their guts hanging out please cover it up until then 🙂 when I was a flabby 260 I didn't wear a speedo to the gym because I knew it would gross people out. Please have some courtesy is all I'm saying.

AdamFiddler

Some people haven't always been in good shape and like to show off their body because they are proud of what they accomplished. As for the girls with their guts hanging out please cover it up until then 🙂 when I was a flabby 260 I didn't wear a speedo to the gym because I knew it would gross people out. Please have some courtesy is all I'm saying.

But now you do wear a speedo to the gym...?

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 499 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

General Gym Observations

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?