General Gym Observations

• This topic has 61 voices and 498 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 499 total)
  • Author

pshannon

- shrugs with over under grip

What's wrong with that?  You handle heavier weights and it's better than wrist straps.

+1

McLeod2012

.....geez I'm sorry. I didn't know it was that big of deal..

I can't tell if that's a joke or irritation  😮 😮 😮But I will clarify that I don't mind a considerate or just curious person but I'm one of the few people (I know this might sound very full of myself but it is what it is) who actually goes to the gym to...hold your breath!...work out.

Haha I'm completely joking. Shoulda added an emoji.

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

.....geez I'm sorry. I didn't know it was that big of deal..

I can't tell if that's a joke or irritation  😮 😮 😮But I will clarify that I don't mind a considerate or just curious person but I'm one of the few people (I know this might sound very full of myself but it is what it is) who actually goes to the gym to...hold your breath!...work out.

Haha I'm completely joking. Shoulda added an emoji.

LOL...off to the gym...excitement! As an aside - I know a lot of people wish they just had an empty gym but I do find it to be rather entertaining  ;D  I never know what's going to happen each day...of course I go to 24-hour fitness so it's a crazy mixed-bag. What's up with their trainers??? I actually wonder if they have any formal education and it shocks me that different trainers use "fad" routines all of the time. I heard Kiefer commenting on this and from what he said I guess they are told what to do and how to do it. Great if you don't know what you're doing but really shitty if you do. I'm still waiting for law-suits to be filed by some of the elderly trainees. I've seen some crazy stuff!(yeah - I'm not hyper..... Damn caffeine!!)

well for starters your working different angles when you do over under grip with shrugs so thats an issue, secondly thats just not how you do shrugs… thirdly never use straps unless your working out your vagina

tlfoxy

- doin curls without bending the elbow

Are you sure they're not doing reverse grip front delt raises.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRIVtkSszK0

haha no there def not doin that and by not bending elbow i mean … they leave there arms bent and dont extend them down … so they just leave them at a 90 degree angle and drop down …. then they finish there set and flex… i personally dont train biceps and mine are 18 inches unflexed…. training biceps is dumb for strength training its just for show, i occasionally train them just to prevent tears while deadlifting

pshannon

I'm a vagina then. Straps every back day and my lats get a NASTY pump. I'll take the vagina over my forearms taking a beating

…youll never be doin any kind of respectable lifts without straps then your weaking your body using straps cuz your not depending on your own grip all the work is done by the straps .. i know you can get a good pump and get more reps in with straps getting size gaines… thats cool if thats your goals, but if you wanna be strong lose the straps switch to chalk when needed

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I wouldn't use straps, but over/under shrugs are a good way to blast your shrugs with a heavier weight than normal.  Just do two sets and flip your grip configuration.  Don't you deadlift over/under once the weight gets heavy?

yes of course i deadlift over under soon as my normal grip fails i do normal grip till fail then normal with chalk till fail then over under then over under with chalk but a proper shrug is not straight up and down its a rolling motion .. which is pretty awkward with over under

Big_R
    Participant

I'm a vagina then. Straps every back day and my lats get a NASTY pump. I'll take the vagina over my forearms taking a beating

I have very well developed traps... i' can do sets of 8-12 reps with over 600Lbs on a regular barbell (yes it bends like the powerhouse logo).  Never would have got there without straps... can't hold more than 475 reversed grip.  So +1  for strap usage

to a power lifter like me  what you just said isnt impressive at all… its rather silly but clearly your looking for the looks of it all which is awesome … i just much prefer the function of lifts 🙂

Big_R
    Participant

to a power lifter like me  what you just said isnt impressive at all... its rather silly but clearly your looking for the looks of it all which is awesome ... i just much prefer the function of lifts 🙂

i was sharing my experience that straps helped me personally build thick/large traps since i wasn't able to hold the bar using my own grip strength. For bodybuilding, they can be a great tool.  I think there was an above poster who uses them also correct?Not sure exactly what is "silly"

to a power lifter its silly, cuz we deal with actual functional strength, if u cant lift it, thats that work toward it straps are only good for bodybuilding not strength training

Igor Vidovic
    Participant

to a power lifter like me  what you just said isnt impressive at all... its rather silly but clearly your looking for the looks of it all which is awesome ... i just much prefer the function of lifts 🙂

AliveOutOfHabit

Seems to me you're forgetting the first rule of this community... I realize you're strong and have other goals than a bunch of us but no need to beat your 2 cents in just cause its not what you do. On here someone benching 185 and being happy about it is a good thing.same thing if someone is squatting 700 raw.  Being supportive is keeping this place alive and growing.

training log
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yQ7u-n9iU7R910fUgcAEo5NJoUZzT3w1zLC5qYyaGZE/edit#gid=1795865688

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 499 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

General Gym Observations

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?