General Gym Observations

• This topic has 61 voices and 498 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 499 total)
  • Author

Lauren Norfleet
    Participant

I don't acutally have anything to add, I just wanted to see when this thread is updated because I like to read about all the goobers at the gyms you guys see.  😀 I train in my garage, so the only goober in there is me, lol.

Fairy

Mini rant alert:I just hate seeing men doing bicep curls while looking at their bicep side on in the mirror. It just sickens me...No idea why.

Igor Vidovic
    Participant

Mini rant alert:I just hate seeing men doing bicep curls while looking at their bicep side on in the mirror. It just sickens me...No idea why.

Lol thats funny

training log
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yQ7u-n9iU7R910fUgcAEo5NJoUZzT3w1zLC5qYyaGZE/edit#gid=1795865688

Caino
    Participant

im putting it out there, i was a culprit of this, sometimes you gotta have a look and see what your arms should really look like lol, i saw some young dudes the other day all lined up in the mirror all doing the same thing working out together, how cute lol

TokyoLifter

Most of the people in my gym use ridiculous amounts of weight, way more than they can handle, not only the guys but also the girls. Especially there are some older women who train really heavy. The problem is, they all have super-bad form, I have yet to see one person in the gym who can squat properly, 90% of people do a mixture of squat and good morning, hurts my back just to see them. Then one guy always needs an assist on the lat pulldown, he uses lifting straps and the trainer has to pull down the bar together with him so that he can pull the whole stack. He leans back until he is parallel to the floor as well, lol.

pshannon

I do this all the time especially when doing EZ bar reverse curls to forehead. Because I am trying to focus on using as LITTLE front delt as possible to lift the weight. There is a difference between looking at yourself for vanity and keeping yourself accountable. And I like seeing my arms get really big as im doing these curls in the squat rack.

Richard Schmitt

My damn gym has mirrors lined up on all walls so it's really difficult not to watch yourself lift let alone do curls

jtrouve63

I like the clowns that do lat pulldowns and pull the bar down to their waist

Fairy

I guess bicep curls just annoy me in general. Chins, people! Chins.

pshannon

I guess bicep curls just annoy me in general. Chins, people! Chins.

I have to disagree here Fairy. Most people don't understand how to do chins effectively enough to stimulate a certain muscle. Either they are not strong enough to do more then 2-3 (or even 1 from a dead stop) or they pull with the wrong muscles. When they should be pulling only with biceps they are pulling with lats and rhomboid, or nice versa pulling with all arms and no back. If you can't go in the gym and do 10 from a dead stop you would benefit from doing isolation work for biceps. OR better yet stop being a ignorant weak ass hole and go get stronger so you CAN do a pull up. USHER ABS yay

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Chins never really did much for my biceps.  If you want big biceps you have to curl.  They have to be heavy curls too and they won't have perfect form.  I am really big on form and range of movement of my exercise, but with curls, you simply can't be strong a have perfect form, because your bicep is VERY weak when your elbows are locked.  Cheat curls are my favorite bicep exercise.

acarnovale

Curls are also great for elbow health. Being a powelifter and benching a fair bit I noticed a significant decrease in elbow pain when I added them back in to my program.

Big_R
    Participant

Then one guy always needs an assist on the lat pulldown, he uses lifting straps and the trainer has to pull down the bar together with him so that he can pull the whole stack. He leans back until he is parallel to the floor as well, lol.

I hate seeing this;  90% of people do it in the gym too.  Lat pulldown should stimulate teres major if you can't do pull ups with your body weight (unless your trying to create a hybrid pulldown/row movement which you probably aren't lol). The more parallel you are with the ground the more the movement becomes a Row.  Same thing with pull ups though.... if people would keep their head down and tuck in their damn chin they would actually NOT be wasting their time  LOL.  oh well... 

Fairy

@BigR Why should you tuck your chin in…? RE: BicepsThat's strange because climbers find that they get elbow pain because of over developed biceps and under developed triceps... I'm feeling it in my left elbow already. Anyway, we have totally different motives. I do chins to improve my climbing and help me climb trees and things, you do bicep curls to make your biceps look bigger. So there's not much point arguing which is better

Big_R
    Participant

@BigR Why should you tuck your chin in...? RE: BicepsThat's strange because climbers find that they get elbow pain because of over developed biceps and under developed triceps... I'm feeling it in my left elbow already. Anyway, we have totally different motives. I do chins to improve my climbing and help me climb trees and things, you do bicep curls to make your biceps look bigger. So there's not much point arguing which is better

because tucking your chin in (toward your chest) means you will have to keep your head down, which will help force your body to remain perpendicular to the floor, which would stimulate the teres major which is the point of pull ups/chins in bodybuilding in the first place, to get wider.  when you look at the roof you do not have chin tucked in and naturally your body will either end up shaped like this " ) " or " " (from a side point of view)  and you will start to utilize the rhomboids or dorsi which makes you THICKER ... not wider, which defeats the original purpose.  keep in mind the this comes from the standpoint of hypertrophy.. not strength training

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 499 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

General Gym Observations

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?