General Gym Observations

• This topic has 61 voices and 498 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 499 total)
  • Author

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

Random annoyance today….This older guy that's a regular was doing lat pulldowns. He likes to observe in the gym - I mean he will flat out stare at people for 10 minutes or longer between sets... - and after his set on the pulldown he goes about ten feet away and sits down backwards on the preacher curl machine. Just sits. So then some girl comes over and moves the pin on the pulldown - obviously thinking he's not using it - and he stands up and tells her he's using it so she goes away. I mean come on - there's a place to sit on the goddamn pulldown, why take two machines you aren't even using?? What's really funny though is that I will take his machines/benches quite frequently if he's gone more than 5 minutes and he's yet to tell me to move. He gets huffy and paces around it but I just don't care. I see this guy do that stuff on a regular basis and I'm not having it. I'm a little afraid what might come out of my mouth if he even tries to tell me he's "using" something lol....

Defiance

Been training at a new gym for a couple of months. - I was doing heavy sets of 2-3 reps with box squats in the power rack as my first exercise on leg day. Some guys were benching in the corner (It was Monday) and after a while one of them decides to take a break in his own workout to give me training advice. He didn't know what a box squat was, what it was for, or how you're supposed to do it..."Do you ever do normal squats""What's a 'box squat'? Is that some kind of thing you've read about on the internet?""Well anyways, you're not supposed to do it like THAT, that is bad for your back and your hips"

McLeod2012

You should've showed him pics of Louie or Dave Tate, and tell him to tell them that it's “bad for your back”. I'm sure he was wearing sweat pants too.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

You should've showed him pics of Louie or Dave Tate, and tell him to tell them that it's "bad for your back". I'm sure he was wearing sweat pants too.

Yea really.  Louie is almost 70 and I think he can still pull 600+ lbs.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

However squatting like a geared power lifter, really wide stance and sitting way back, is pretty damn rough on the hips.  However, this is a sacrafice one must make.

Gl;itch.e

However squatting like a geared power lifter, really wide stance and sitting way back, is pretty damn rough on the hips.  However, this is a sacrafice one must make.

Too true. I had to take my stance in because it was wrecking my knees and hips. Strength took a hit initailly but is now higher than it was before without the stress on the knees.

CptSmash

It's not necessarily the lift being hard on the body, it's the overall loading.  Over time you're just bound to get some sort of injury if you stay in long enough.  It's just going to happen if you're pushing yourself beyond what is normally capable.  You try to minimize it by periodizing your workouts, taking recovery breaks and optimizing other aspects of your recovery cycle, but the longer you train the more something is going to have the chance to break.  It's just part of being in the game.  You accept it and drive on.  Or you may be lucky and never have anything break on you, but I would guess this is very seldom and you're probably not going all out.Pass me another stack of plates.

Gl;itch.e

It's not necessarily the lift being hard on the body, it's the overall loading.  Over time you're just bound to get some sort of injury if you stay in long enough.  It's just going to happen if you're pushing yourself beyond what is normally capable.  You try to minimize it by periodizing your workouts, taking recovery breaks and optimizing other aspects of your recovery cycle, but the longer you train the more something is going to have the chance to break.  It's just part of being in the game.  You accept it and drive on.  Or you may be lucky and never have anything break on you, but I would guess this is very seldom and you're probably not going all out.Pass me another stack of plates.

Can be. But it can also be the particular form used is not quite right for the individual. Been squatting narrower for ages now with no where near the amount of issues experienced squatting wide. For me shoulder width just works better with less problems. Thats the problem with listening to geared lifters too much. Doesnt always translate to raw.

Big_R
    Participant

Rule of thumb: Doing something great always comes with high-risk potential (in most cases). 

webby

People doing deadlifts with an arched back wearing a lifting belt which is loose as shit!

jtrouve63

lady on the elliptical today with sunglasses on…interesting

Richard Schmitt

lady on the elliptical today with sunglasses on...interesting

She watched "Big Daddy" earlier and thought she was invisible  8) 😛

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

Don't make excuses for her!…It's just not ok.LOL

CptSmash

Can be. But it can also be the particular form used is not quite right for the individual. Been squatting narrower for ages now with no where near the amount of issues experienced squatting wide. For me shoulder width just works better with less problems. Thats the problem with listening to geared lifters too much. Doesnt always translate to raw.

I agree.  Everyone will have those individual differences that need to be addressed within their own biomechanics.  But saying that certain exercises are harmful or not beneficial at all for everyone is just ridiculous.  Unless it involves a physioball.  LOL.

Big_R
    Participant

I agree.  Everyone will have those individual differences that need to be addressed within their own biomechanics.  But saying that certain exercises are harmful or not beneficial at all for everyone is just ridiculous.  Unless it involves a physioball.  LOL.

+ f*king 1   

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 499 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

General Gym Observations

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?