General Gym Observations

• This topic has 61 voices and 498 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 499 total)
  • Author

Gl;itch.e

It's not necessarily the lift being hard on the body, it's the overall loading.  Over time you're just bound to get some sort of injury if you stay in long enough.  It's just going to happen if you're pushing yourself beyond what is normally capable.  You try to minimize it by periodizing your workouts, taking recovery breaks and optimizing other aspects of your recovery cycle, but the longer you train the more something is going to have the chance to break.  It's just part of being in the game.  You accept it and drive on.  Or you may be lucky and never have anything break on you, but I would guess this is very seldom and you're probably not going all out.Pass me another stack of plates.

Can be. But it can also be the particular form used is not quite right for the individual. Been squatting narrower for ages now with no where near the amount of issues experienced squatting wide. For me shoulder width just works better with less problems. Thats the problem with listening to geared lifters too much. Doesnt always translate to raw.

I agree.  Everyone will have those individual differences that need to be addressed within their own biomechanics.  But saying that certain exercises are harmful or not beneficial at all for everyone is just ridiculous.  Unless it involves a physioball.  LOL.

No one said that certain exercises should be avoided for everyone, but I do believe there needs to be more thought given to why someone chooses to do a certain exercise and in a certain fashion. Too often people that lift raw are looking to geared lifters and copying form or techniques that just do not translate across. A good example would be a raw lifter looking to increase their bench press using too many partial movements like board presses to increase lockout when they arent using a shirt. Or squatting ultra wide when they have no squat briefs to help reduce stress on the hips.  I think we are on the same page in essence anyway. Just making my position clear.

Fairy

Just heard a personal trainer say 'Good girl' to his middle age female client.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Eh maybe she liked it?  Might make her feel young.

Big_R
    Participant

Ok… so i was one my way to the gym yesterday – crossed the street – I look over to the left and i see this skinny fuck3r running in place and jabbing like he is rocky balboa ( on the sidewalk mind you).  AND … if that's not bad enough he was showing off his little chicken legs in the daisy dukes he was wearing.I mean........cmonman.png

Fairy

Eh maybe she liked it?  Might make her feel young.

I don't know how it made her feel, but it made me feel sick. Imagine a female PT saying it to a middle age man

McLeod2012

Ok... so i was one my way to the gym yesterday - crossed the street - I look over to the left and i see this skinny fuck3r running in place and jabbing like he is rocky balboa ( on the sidewalk mind you).  AND ... if that's not bad enough he was showing off his little chicken legs in the daisy dukes he was wearing.I mean........cmonman.png

Hahaha yeah I've got a few douchebags that do it in the gym like in between sets.

Jacqui DB

I trained in a gym while on holiday and watched two 'bros' spend an hour doing every kind of bench press imaginable (all to only half depth). They then proceeded to leave all their weights and towels on the benches while they chased some girls in the other section of the gym. Then they moved onto preacher curls (leaving all the weights on the bench barbells for me to unload so I could do my set) and one of them added weight after completing a set and got his buddy to assist every rep! Oh and they followed this with curls in the squat rack #facepalm

Fairy

@EnglishMonkey Classic! . . . You don't happen to go to the same gym as me do you . . . ? I have had some amazingly similar experiences!

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I trained in a gym while on holiday and watched two 'bros' spend an hour doing every kind of bench press imaginable (all to only half depth). They then proceeded to leave all their weights and towels on the benches while they chased some girls in the other section of the gym. Then they moved onto preacher curls (leaving all the weights on the bench barbells for me to unload so I could do my set) and one of them added weight after completing a set and got his buddy to assist every rep! Oh and they followed this with curls in the squat rack #facepalm

If we ever opened a DH gym I would do curls in the squat rack just piss everyone off lol.

Jimmy T
    Participant

if people didn't do their curls in the squat rack, they would never get used

Fairy

If people didn't do curls in the squat rack, we would have nothing to talk about on here 😉 !

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I wish that was true at my gym.  You have to wait in line if you want to use a rack, and the folks using them aren't curling.

Big_R
    Participant

it only bothers me when they have less than a 45 plate on each side. 

Igor Vidovic
    Participant

If we ever opened a DH gym I would do curls in the squat rack just piss everyone off lol.

LMFAO

training log
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yQ7u-n9iU7R910fUgcAEo5NJoUZzT3w1zLC5qYyaGZE/edit#gid=1795865688

edzo69

Wrist straps Deadlifting 100kg WTF! Knee wraps squatting FA and dudes using the sling shot benching what my young fella can?

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 499 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

General Gym Observations

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?