General Gym Observations

• This topic has 61 voices and 498 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 499 total)
  • Author

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Wrist straps Deadlifting 100kg WTF! Knee wraps squatting FA and dudes using the sling shot benching what my young fella can?

What's FA?

edzo69

Wrist straps Deadlifting 100kg WTF! Knee wraps squatting FA and dudes using the sling shot benching what my young fella can?

What's FA?

Means, Fuck All!

Big_R
    Participant

What's FA?

Means, Fuck All!

Not sure i read this right but, You think people shouldn't wrap there knees when squatting?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

What's FA?

Means, Fuck All!

Not sure i read this right but, You think people shouldn't wrap there knees when squatting?

Maybe he means knee wraps when someone is squatting 315 or something.  I know I would only use knee wraps if I was doing some really heavy squats.

Eric Shaw

douchebags that wear a weight belt from the time they walk in the gym till they leave, through their entire work out, even doing curls. lolor the douches that do 18 sets of chest or back in one work out, literally training back for 2 hours straight, and they aren't Jay Cutler.

Swanson52

To me, about 90% of this thread highlights the difference between a gym and a fitness center. Weight equipment does not dictate the designation, atmosphere does. I used to go to 24hr Fitness, and I saw and was annoyed by almost every situation highlighted in this thread. Made me want to kick puppies. So my observations from my new gym;-AM cardio is awesome. The machines face the window, but since it's dark outside when i go, the windows are just big mirrors. It just so happens I'm in there when the female fitness competitors are training...makes the time go by SOOOO fast. 🙂-The guys I've seen LEGIT benching/squatting/pulling 450+/600+/600+ are the most helpful lifters in my gym. They'll form critique, they'll spot, just about anything to help another lifter.  If you're not stupid about it of course (talking during a set, interrupting a warm up, etc). I think if someone was getting their bro lift on, the owner would throw em out on their head. I love my gym. 😀

edzo69

What's FA?

Means, Fuck All!

Anything under their body weight .........NO!

pacstud

Maybe I'm old but….Anything over 300 and I'm wrapping my knees, commence mocking  ;D

Big_R
    Participant

What's FA?

Means, Fuck All!

Anything under their body weight .........NO!

+oh ok  lol,  in that case i agree.  unless they have knee problems in general, but i'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt  🙂

McLeod2012

What do you all think about people who don't use any equipment at all and say that their body has adapted to supporting that much weight over time? Such as Big Ben Pakulski. He doesn't use knee wraps or a belt(not 100% on belt).

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

What do you all think about people who don't use any equipment at all and say that their body has adapted to supporting that much weight over time? Such as Big Ben Pakulski. He doesn't use knee wraps or a belt(not 100% on belt).

I am not even sure if there is a point to using knee wraps if you aren't a powerlifter.  Using wraps at bodyweight?  I am going to have to disagree that is too light, I don't even know if I would use them at double my bodyweight.

Gl;itch.e

I am not even sure if there is a point to using knee wraps if you aren't a powerlifter.  Using wraps at bodyweight?  I am going to have to disagree that is too light, I don't even know if I would use them at double my bodyweight.

I agree. Like what has already been said, unless there is an issue that needs to be addressed (knee pain/dysfunction) I dont think knee wraps are needed until very heavy weight is achieved. And often times a form tweak can spare the knees signifcantly. Belts probably become useful before wraps. For me (and I assume a lot of people) strength transfer at the hips/back/core is what limits weights in the squat, not strength transfer at the knee. Why else can people leg press a ton more than they can squat?

McLeod2012

Quarter reps. 🙂 haha. Jk you can do that for either. SPEAKING OF QUARTER REPS, that reminded me that this kid who looks like a hitler descendent, loves pulling his track sweats up really high, loading the bar with like 315, getting pumped up and maybe gets a 2 inch depth… Don't worry though, he's grunting like he's lifting a house. Then the other day, decided to load up 405 and started down but then he realized an inch in descent he was fucked and it came crashing down. He shook his head and clapped like he almost had it..

pshannon

People that bend their elbows when they do shrugs….

Big_R
    Participant

People that bend their elbows when they do shrugs....

GOOD Ol' hammer shrugs ... a clear sign that the novice lifter is using 50% more weight than they should be using  lol

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 499 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

General Gym Observations

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?