General Gym Observations

• This topic has 61 voices and 498 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 499 total)
  • Author

RagE

But they are just so much easier to grip when facing in!  And if you have plates that are flat on one side, its way more aerodynamic! Now that we have gotten some bumper plates, everything is just mayhem! They won't face in no matter how much i flip and turn them!I was back home this weekend, and had to train in a commercial gym run by the county. It was fun to use a leg press and a ham-curl for once, but every time I see "people" train, or rather work out, I am shocked! People have so little control over the weights and their own body! I know these people have been training for a while, because i have seen them before, but i swear its like they have never even heard of a barbell! I don't understand how people can go on training without wanting to learn and educate themselves. When i first started i spent time on the web researching, i found a training partner who had a lot more experience than me,  i looked, listened and learned from the big guys at the gym.You don't need a PT, you just need to have some insight, and realize that there is a chance that you are not doing everything perfect and/optimal. In fact, most PTs need to learn this about themselves. Most trainers i see in commercial gyms, have no clue what they are doing.

Damon Amato
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-yLDVLQAvMI swear I saw exactly this today.

Mlongs23

I was a trainer for over a year at a local commercial gym and just recently quit to start my own gym with a friend. Having been there for over a year, I witnessed many things that really bugged me from members, but I won't even get into that as the vast majority of them don't know any better. At least they're in the gym trying to get better. In my opinion, that's much better than sitting at home doing nothing, even if your workout sucks. Admittedly, I wouldn't say everyone in the gym needs a personal trainer, but most, if not all average gym-goers could at least use a friend/mentor who knows what they're doing to guide them along, and tell them to get off the BOSU ball and machines and learn to move more efficiently and do things that actually work.My biggest complaint with commercial gyms is the trainers and management. As a trainer myself, I take great pride in what I do, teaching my clients proper form/technique and designing programs based on their needs. This is what training is all about. However, over the year I spent training at this commercial gym, I probably had the pleasure (if you want to call it that) of working alongside somewhere in the ballpark of 30-40 other "trainers." Sad part is, of all of those trainers, I could honestly say only 1 other knew what he was doing and actually took pride in his job. Out of 30-40 trainers I knew, he's the only one I would ever recommend anyone train with. The rest of the trainers fall into 1 of 2 categories: 1) they have no clue what they're doing and probably need a good trainer themselves, or 2) they simply don't care enough to actually coach their clients and give them proper programming. Even worse is the management that allow their trainers to perform so poorly, exposing clients to risk of injury. At the gym I trained at, not even management knew the first thing about training, so I couldn't expect any support from them. People are paying good money for training, but sadly, would 9 times out of 10 be better off flushing their money down the toilet.Despite all of this, I will say it was a great experience for me because it exposed me to a wide array of clients, made me want to be better, and reminded me why I got into this profession in the first place: to provide people with safe, effective, and proper programming to help them achieve their goals. This simply was not happening at said gym.  Which is exactly why I recently left with a friend to open our own facility where we have 100% control over everything that happens and can ensure people are doing things correctly. There are some great trainers at commerical gyms, but they are few and far between. Rant over.

Stephen Davis
    Participant

I was a trainer for over a year at a local commercial gym and just recently quit to start my own gym with a friend. Having been there for over a year, I witnessed many things that really bugged me from members, but I won't even get into that as the vast majority of them don't know any better. At least they're in the gym trying to get better. In my opinion, that's much better than sitting at home doing nothing, even if your workout sucks. Admittedly, I wouldn't say everyone in the gym needs a personal trainer, but most, if not all average gym-goers could at least use a friend/mentor who knows what they're doing to guide them along, and tell them to get off the BOSU ball and machines and learn to move more efficiently and do things that actually work.My biggest complaint with commercial gyms is the trainers and management. As a trainer myself, I take great pride in what I do, teaching my clients proper form/technique and designing programs based on their needs. This is what training is all about. However, over the year I spent training at this commercial gym, I probably had the pleasure (if you want to call it that) of working alongside somewhere in the ballpark of 30-40 other "trainers." Sad part is, of all of those trainers, I could honestly say only 1 other knew what he was doing and actually took pride in his job. Out of 30-40 trainers I knew, he's the only one I would ever recommend anyone train with. The rest of the trainers fall into 1 of 2 categories: 1) they have no clue what they're doing and probably need a good trainer themselves, or 2) they simply don't care enough to actually coach their clients and give them proper programming. Even worse is the management that allow their trainers to perform so poorly, exposing clients to risk of injury. At the gym I trained at, not even management knew the first thing about training, so I couldn't expect any support from them. People are paying good money for training, but sadly, would 9 times out of 10 be better off flushing their money down the toilet.Despite all of this, I will say it was a great experience for me because it exposed me to a wide array of clients, made me want to be better, and reminded me why I got into this profession in the first place: to provide people with safe, effective, and proper programming to help them achieve their goals. This simply was not happening at said gym.  Which is exactly why I recently left with a friend to open our own facility where we have 100% control over everything that happens and can ensure people are doing things correctly. There are some great trainers at commerical gyms, but they are few and far between. Rant over.

I am not a trainer.  I don't play one on tv.  I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  I can't say that I would know how to train anyone at all.  I do know, however, when I see trainers at the gym "coaching" their customers.  They don't even get them to use a light enough weight to get to full ROM.  I can't help but think of how many of them will either get hurt or give up due to poor results or just pain.  One would think that they would know better, but apparently not. 

Mlongs23

Haha “I didn't sleep at a holiday inn express last night.” Now that's funny stuff. I agree with everything you're saying, I wasn't trying to come across as condescending, so if that's how it sounded, I apologize. I was just pointing out that as someone with experience 'behind the scenes' of these gyms, the problem of trainers not knowing what they're doing and exposing clients to risk was a huge problem where I worked and is probably a huge problem in most commercial gyms and people need to be aware of this before they decide to hire a trainer, no matter where that trainer works. But I also wanted to point out that not ALL trainers at these gyms suck…there are a select few who love what they do and get clients great results. People just need to do their research and find them. Hopefully you can see that's what I was trying to say. Not trying to put anybody down here at all, so again, I apologize if that's how it sounded.

Stephen Davis
    Participant

I didn't think you sounded condescending at all.  If a mook like me can see the sham, it is a pretty bad one.

AdamFiddler

Sounds like an epidemic of “Fuckarounditis” if you ask me…This is some of the most hilarious shit I've ever read because it's so damn true:http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/fuckarounditis.html

tlfoxy

Okay….  What is wrong with hats in the gym.  It keeps the sweat from getting in my eyes; especially when skipping rope on H.I.I.T. days.But to add my 2 cents... Locker room etiquette, or lack there of, is my pet peeve.  There are a couple of skeevie dudes that seem to always be in there butt ass naked talking to everyone.  I don't ever see them in the gym itself.  They like to talk to you about whatever while they sit on the bench and watch the T.V.When you are standing in front of the mirror, to insure correct form, and someone decides to stand in front of you.The constant flexing and dancing in front of the mirrors...Guys who obviously go to the gym to try and pick up the chicks.  I don't talk to anyone while I am there.  Especially the ladies,  I am sweaty, snotty, and I am breathing heavily.  I would feel like a walking obscene phone call. Maybe that is another reason I wear a hat.  I pull it down and use it like blinders.  So... Flame away about my hat... I can take it.  At least I am not wearing flops while I'm there.  As there is always one of those people at my gym.  He is always on the phone, taking up space on the bench I need to use.  I have a ton more, but I'll save them for later.

devilmanVISA

Hell I occasionally wear flip slops. If its extra workout i.e. accessory only, I don't give a damn about proper foot wear. If I'm not doing a lift where my feet need to be glue to the surface of the earth and super supported, then I certainly feel justified in wearing flip flops. If I am clumsy, slow, or stupid enough to allow a falling weight to come into contact with my foot, its my own damn fault.I talk on my phone occasionally too. But I can do so without it effecting the intensity of my workout. I could care less about it effecting the duration, as I train for at least 2 hours, sometimes much longer, every damn day.I also intermittently carry in upwards of 100lbs of chain around my neck to accessorize my training, at a 24hr fitness. So people tend to not fuck with me regarding the previous two things.

tlfoxy

I didn't mean to hit a nerve there… devilman!

devilmanVISA

I didn't mean to hit a nerve there... devilman!

Oh no worries, you didn't.If I never talked on the phone when I was training I'd make considerably less money lol 😀and flip flops are just comfortable 🙂

IOWA.PharmD

What's the date today?……..  8)

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Okay....  What is wrong with hats in the gym.  It keeps the sweat from getting in my eyes; especially when skipping rope on H.I.I.T. days.

Haha I guess for that reason a hat is ok.  I'm not a hat person to begin with because I find them itchy, uncomfortable and they make me hot.  The same reason I don't get the sweat suites and pants.  I would feel that they decrease the quality of your workout.  It seems that most of the people who wear them are just trying to look cool.

tlfoxy

Haha I guess for that reason a hat is ok.  I'm not a hat person to begin with because I find them itchy, uncomfortable and they make me hot.  The same reason I don't get the sweat suites and pants.  I would feel that they decrease the quality of your workout.  It seems that most of the people who wear them are just trying to look cool.

Funny...  if you ever saw me in the gym you would definitely know I wasn't making a fashion statement.  I love this thread because we all have our idiosyncrasies in the gym.  Those things make us who we are and we can look strange to others. 

AdamFiddler

The best one yet–was grinding out a squat max n the cage (with safety bars in place) and got a bit stuck in the hole.  Was slowly making the weight up when this guy using one of the machines RUNS INTO THE SQUAT CAGE RIGHT BEHIND ME AND SOMEHOW TRIES “SPOTTING” ME from behind…like what're you Ronnie Coleman you're gonna just curl that shit up if I can't lift it?  Fortunately his stupidity pissed me off enough to yell “DON'T TOUCH IT” and finish the lift myself, but jesus man what the fuck are you thinking?  If anybody ever does that again they're just getting the weight bailed out right on their stomach. 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 499 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

General Gym Observations

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?