General Gym Observations

• This topic has 61 voices and 498 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 499 total)
  • Author

Damon Amato
    Participant

Honestly, jeans and a button down while in the weight room?  What goes through these people's heads?

Ha, it was a 50 y/o woman, doing the ab machine that is a great way to make your discs explode of all things also.I see this a lot, but to my surprise the guys who do this the most are also the biggest guys in the gyms.  I guess the workout to them is so tame that they don't even feel the need to change.

CT

My gym is full of young lads (18ish) all trying to look awesome, but failing and remaining skinny as hell because they have no idea what they are doing.  It's a shame, and I have to choke back a lot of laughter when I watch them train.Typical scenarios are, 1 set of 3-4 reps with the heaviest weight they can handle.  Usually being spotted by their buddy, who is doing most of the work.I cry inside, as most of these lads could have decent potential to grow.I took one really skinny lad to one side the other day and gave him a few pointers.  The conversation went kinda like:Me: "Hey pal, are you trying to get stronger, or just look good?"Kid: "Look good"Me: "Alright right then, fuck off all these weights you can't actually do reps with."Kid: *Blank face*Me: "Use weights you can move for 10-12 reps and focus on getting a full range of movement, doing half a rep is only going to build half the muscle"Kid: "Oh really?"Me: "Yea man, when was the last time a girl came up to you in the club and asked you how much you bench?  Not never."Kid: *Light bulb switches on**sigh*

devilmanVISA

We got lots of guys coming in on thurs-sat evening, 9-10ish, coming in in their full going out attire to get what we like to call the “club pump.” The club pump is a very important party of club douche and thirty-thousand dollar millionaire social infrastructure. Can't hit the club without a pump to fill out the sleeves of that size M affliction shirt.

tlfoxy

We got lots of guys coming in on thurs-sat evening, 9-10ish, coming in in their full going out attire to get what we like to call the "club pump." The club pump is a very important party of club douche and thirty-thousand dollar millionaire social infrastructure. Can't hit the club without a pump to fill out the sleeves of that size M affliction shirt.

You must live in Las Vegas too...  hahaha!I hear about these guys all of the time... I haven't seen any of them personally but the stories the front desk tell are hilarious.  The smell of overdose cologne and hair gel is overwhelming.  I hear of them dancing in front of the mirrors too...

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Whats the matter with wearing a size M shirt?  That's what I wear!

devilmanVISA

We got lots of guys coming in on thurs-sat evening, 9-10ish, coming in in their full going out attire to get what we like to call the "club pump." The club pump is a very important party of club douche and thirty-thousand dollar millionaire social infrastructure. Can't hit the club without a pump to fill out the sleeves of that size M affliction shirt.

You must live in Las Vegas too...  hahaha!I hear about these guys all of the time... I haven't seen any of them personally but the stories the front desk tell are hilarious.  The smell of overdose cologne and hair gel is overwhelming.  I hear of them dancing in front of the mirrors too...

Dallas actually. But these posers act the same.

Whats the matter with wearing a size M shirt?  That's what I wear!

A medium shirt and a medium affliction/ed hardy/christian audigier shirt are two totally different things. They use extremely tight fitting sizes, think Under Armor but made of t-shirt material, with lots of plastic rhinestones and bedazzlrf doo dads. Basically they are wearing tiny shirts to make themselves look bigger, and getting the pre-pump to increase this further. The poser's poser.

Richard Schmitt

I'll get those kids who come into the gym wearing those “tight-skinny” skater jeans and work out…still wearing that damn beanie too. The place I go, in the mornings is when all the mature lifters lift, and the afternoons/evenings is when well everyone else lifts…including the “Club Crowd”

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I don't get the beanie.  I see a lot powerlifters working out in beanies.  Not to pick on powerlifters, but why do so many of them look like they are in motorcycle gangs?

Richard Schmitt

I don't get the beanie.  I see a lot powerlifters working out in beanies.  Not to pick on powerlifters, but why do so many of them look like they are in motorcycle gangs?

Wanna bes maybe? I saw a guy today wearing normal casual clothes, (t-shrt, shorts, and flip-flops) working out.

Damon Amato
    Participant

Omg, previously made fun of woman is back, same jeans, button down, and SWEATER!  In her defense, she is killing leg extensions…

Richard Schmitt

Omg, previously made fun of woman is back, same jeans, button down, and SWEATER!  In her defense, she is killing leg extensions...

Lmao in her defense? That's funny. I was in the gym this morning and I was doing my DB Side Laterals when a female lifter came by right next to me. I bring this up because she was wearing normal workout clothing but the tank top she had on, I could have swore she was about to take it off.

sigma

I admit it, I'm a jeans guy.  Except for leg day, that is.  I'm also an obnoxious grunter… to the extent that I wear noise cancelling earbuds to block myself out. lol  I get loud, then I get self-conscious and embarrased, then my focus is gone.  I don't scream or anything (“WOOOOOO!!”), just a forceful exhale.  I wonder why no one ever talks to me?My peeves: people in sandals scare me.  I just picture a gym floor littered with severed toes whenever I see them.Also: people who are unaware of anyone around them.  I'm doing seated db laterals and some kid stands right next to me to talk to his buddy.  Now I have to stop so I don't smack him in the knees.  I also had a lovely young woman decide to do stiff legged deadlifts about 3 feet in front of me.  Would have been fine, but I'm in very low set incline bench with a weight suspended over my chest and nowhere to go.  I went from watching my form to gym perv in 3 seconds.  Apparantly my "oh, c'mon" was louder than I thought, because she looked back at me and then moved over.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I am always very aware of line of sight and face to ass distance when I do deadlifts.

devilmanVISA

Can't wear baseball caps or other brimmed hats while lifting in a meet, but you can wear beanies.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Can't wear baseball caps or other brimmed hats while lifting in a meet, but you can wear beanies.

Why don't you just not wear anything?  Does the beanie soak up sweat or something?

RagE

I admit it, I'm a jeans guy.  Except for leg day, that is.  I'm also an obnoxious grunter...

A guy i train with has torn 4 jeans the last month, while squatting. Doesn't seem to learn from it..

My peeves: people in sandals scare me.  I just picture a gym floor littered with severed toes whenever I see them.

I always train barefoot. Have been for 2 years and im still not missing any toes.

Why don't you just not wear anything?  Does the beanie soak up sweat or something?

I have long hair, and that certainly gets hot enough. can't imagine the horribility of training with a hat.

Honestly, jeans and a button down while in the weight room?  What goes through these people's heads?

I see this a lot, but to my surprise the guys who do this the most are also the biggest guys in the gyms.  I guess the workout to them is so tame that they don't even feel the need to change.

If im squatting, I change my pants to some sweatpants type thing. But I usually just go train in whatever Im wearing. Im not one for restrictive clothing anyways. Its bad enough i have to change clothing after i train, when im a big pile of disgust. Had a new guy at my gym recently. He had never touched a Dumbbell before, and wanted some tips on how to get starting. He did not do anything stupid or silly, but it amazes me how poor motor control people have! I have observed this before, and im sure I had equally big a problem getting my muscles and joints to obey, but it still amazes me. Its weird to realize that it can be problematic doing an OHP or latteral raise. I myself tend to do stupid shit every now and then. My shoulders and legs are full of small scars from when i walk past the J-hooks a bit to close,  and I end up bumping into them and getting a cut.I unload the bard unevenly, and it tips over. I do this ALOT with the adjustable DBs. One time i even forgot to put locks on before a set of DB rows. Got a foot full of 5kg plates

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 499 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

General Gym Observations

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?