General Gym Observations

• This topic has 61 voices and 498 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 499 total)
  • Author

TheDan
    Participant

I could talk about this all day but my favorite so far has been: Two guys both fairly thin, like 6 ft tall 160ish come into the gym wearing about 800 dollars worth of brand new gym clothes each ( Im sure they went to accessorize right before the gym ) looking like the jersey shore kids, spray tans and all. They warmed up with 15lb bicep dumbell curls and made it a spectacle with grunting during the lifts and flexing in the mirror. They then proceed to the smith machine, grabbed an incline bench and put 315 on the bar. This intrigued me enough to make me forget all about my set and sit intently watching. The smaller of the two layed on the bench, screamed a few times and with the help of his bud curling from behind they got the bar up and between both of them got 3 half reps. When finished the spotter looked even more fatigued then the lifter. Second time they switched posititions, they managed two half reps and both FAILED! The lifter on the bottom was screaming “dont let it crush me” and the spotter was saying ” I can't hold it! i can't hold it! ” I ran over and removed the bar from both guys while laughuing histerically ( i couldnt help it ). Long story short that was their last set and they left with their heads down. Nowadays the stick to the treadmill and sometimes i see them doing lunges and situps.

jcgomez

I love this thread. I thought I was the only one who though the gym was as fun as sipping a beer and watching people act like idiots at the boat ramp. LMAO!

threedanes

So far since I have changed from my normal lunch workout schedule to after 4:30 I have been witness to several things I both laugh and cry at.The older gentlemen that is diligent to a fault about being in the gym but unaware that form is not merely a suggestion but a rule to keep from injury.  I have never seen anyone look like the letter C when doing lat pull downs.The “Tick”, which is my favorite one to hate…  I am in the gym pretty much the same time every day and the only thing I have ever seen this jack wagon do is bench press and bicep curls.  I am fairly certain he is not on speaking terms with some of the equipment, like the squat rack or the leg press.  I think he has also argued with the military press machine and the military press machine has removed him from his Facebook friends.  Mind you I get there before him and leave after, and I am there for an hour and change.  I started to pay more attention to his gym routine.  Holy friggin sh!tbawls it coincides with a young lady who does classes, go effin figure.  The only time I have an issue with him is his 5 minute rest between sets while using the only flat bench rack as he tries to pick up the young lady who after several attempts has made it clear he is not getting a dateHands down the best are the ones who leave the weights on the bars…my favorite thing for them is to wait until they have moved on to something else completely knowing that they are not returning to the equipment.  Ask them if they are done and when they say yes I make mention if they are going to leave the weight on there.  They comply and remove the weight and I go to some other piece of equipment.  The look of bewilderment is sometimes to hard not to laugh out loud at them.

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

This must be my favorite thread……HILARIOUS!!!!

TheDan
    Participant

Totally love watching meatheads destroy their lower back with 200lb cable crunches in a motion that looks like their main goal is to smash their face into the floor only to be stopped short by the weight followed by a quick jerk back to the starting position because they can't hold the weight. Also the juice monkeys with huge arms that never did a leg workout in their life. ( and can't even bench their body weight ). The old fat guy with the head band jogging backwards around the track with the high 80s style gym shorts and the new balance white shoes that every senior citizen seems to own. ( he's my hero )  Aaaannddd I'm sorry to say my powerlifting brothers but if you have to wear wraps on every single one of your joints maybe you should lighten the weight to something your body can handle. And why oh why do people come to the gym to do pushup and crunches? Yoga mats are way cheaper than gym memberships. Just realized I spend way too much time at the gym

devilmanVISA

This thread has developed a significant air of pomposity.

Richard Schmitt

Oh! Have another one to add, was doing SW Shoulders and Tri's on Monday (because everyone in the gym was doing bench press and bis/tris) and while doing my DB Laterals, there was a female gym-goer next to me in what seemed to be proper gym attire, but while looking a little more closely I noticed she had on bedazzled flip-flops on!…oh boy…Then the comments I get from the "bros" doing there arm workouts...sometimes I think how funny it will be to toss a couple plates there way >=]

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

I had to stop and actually take a picture the other day…I am not surprised at all that the owner of this bike goes to my gym.Randomness...Sigh - had to make it really small because you can't post large images on this site. The sign says "Do Not Park Motorized Vehicles on Sidewalk"....

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

Oh! Have another one to add, was doing SW Shoulders and Tri's on Monday (because everyone in the gym was doing bench press and bis/tris) and while doing my DB Laterals, there was a female gym-goer next to me in what seemed to be proper gym attire, but while looking a little more closely I noticed she had on bedazzled flip-flops on!...oh boy...Then the comments I get from the "bros" doing there arm workouts...sometimes I think how funny it will be to toss a couple plates there way >=]

Are you suggesting that there is improper gym attire for women? >.>

Richard Schmitt

Oh no, just never noticed or seen that normally. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

LolActually there is some very wrong attire. A woman at least 60lb overweight wears a blue neon spandex one-shouldered unitard with red neon spandex leggings at my gym..... o.OAnd I won't even mention the Bebe woman...ok I will. So she walks up next to me, gives me the one over and then does some 10lb squats. She's wearing black capri's (nothing wrong with that) and an off the shoulder hot pink BEBE rhinestone studded unitard (why are these coming back??!?!?!?!). When she's done she crosses one leg in front of her (the "skinny" pose), puts her hands on her hips and stands like that for maybe 3 minutes of rest.....yeah....

jcgomez

We need a “like” button.  🙂

Russell Crosswy
    Participant

Couple of years ago at the gym a guy was benching and didn't think clamps were needed to hold his weight plates on the bar. Well a few reps in and the bar is leaning to one side and the weights fall off causing the bar to fly over to the other side. I walk over and toss him a pair of clamps and tell him to use them before he kills somebody.Now, I have a garage gym so I don't have to deal with that.

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

Oh I wouldn't want a garage gym lol – I love the entertainment at my gym!!!Only event today was my skinny stalker....he's probably the same height and weight as I am which is just plain wrong. Now, don't get me wrong, if he was working out and doing his thing I would give him kudos as I would anyone else but that was not the case. He's been going to my gym for at least 3-4 weeks (I only know because I'm there at least 6 days a week). He tends to linger and stretch near me but I don't pay attention. However I know he's trying to get my attention after a few weeks of this. So today I was just kind of "over it". He came to the cables next to me (doing lat pull downs of 40lb....?>?!>>!>??) and after one set he stretched. And I don't mean normal stretching but the crazy "I'm working my lats but I'm going to stick my leg on this bar and try to stretch my hamstrings all the way up to the ceiling" crap....Then I decide I'm just not in the mood to ignore someone more than usual - like clearly avoiding, turning the other way, avoiding ANY eye contact - and move to the dumbells. I am more than willing to modify my workout to work out in peace. So not more than 2-3 sets in does he move next to me. At this point he's maybe 3-4 feet away and I can still do my side raises without hitting him in the face. So a really upbeat song comes on my mp3 player and I'm only guessing he can hear something coming out of my headphones (they are noise-canceling headphones by the way...the most amazing invention ever...can't hear a THING beyond my music) and he proceeds to break out in a few small Michael Jackson hand-movements. And then does a little head-bangy thing with rock-n-roll hands....WTF?! So now he's moonwalked his way to about 2-3 feet next to me. Now in order to do my raises I must move over. So I just grabbed my sh*t and went back to the cables thinking there is NO WAY he doesn't get the point now. OH NO! He follows me over after 2-3 sets and I kid you not, I stopped dead in my set and moved to the cables across the room. I will put money on it that this will happen for the next few weeks. And of course if he just asked me something he would know right away I wasn't interested....(I'm very married so it's not me just being bitchy...)Sigh.Well, there is my gym experience this morning....sorry to ramble!

sigma

Wow, I don't think I've ever witnessed anything that bad…but it sounds like something my brother would do.  Was the dancing awkward and uncomfortable?Saw a 12 year old kid DB benching by himself yesterday, no parents in sight and he was having a rough time.  This puts me in a rough spot.  On the one hand: I don't want him to die, on the other: I don't want on the pedo list.  At least he re-racked his weights and wiped down the bench.Lady on a cell phone on the only leg press.  15 minutes, zero reps.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 499 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

General Gym Observations

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?