Glutamine

• This topic has 6 voices and 17 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Cropsy

T Nation article on Glutamine…http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/how_to_harness_the_anabolic_power_of_cell_volumeI was ignorant of its importance (according to this article anyway). Are a lot of people on here supplementing with it?

wbolton

I was also curious what some others here thought about the article. I know Kiefer isn't a huge proponent of Glutamine supplementation, but the article makes a compelling case for it.Regards,Walker

Jeffrey Hansen
    Participant

Interesting article, I though a good wpi produced glutamine naturally in the body.  No?

wbolton

Well, I say this NOT to be a smart-a**, but as a genuine question I'm considering: a good WPI also provides l-leucine, yet we still supplement with it independently. I'm not saying you're wrong and that the WPI doesn't cover the bases here, only that there are exceptions where independent supplementation makes sense and perhaps (but again, I don't know) this is one of those exception cases.

Jeffrey Hansen
    Participant

No worries, I would also like to know

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

The thing about glutamine though is that unlike leucine, it is a non-essential amino acid, meaning the body can make it.  So the question should be, is our body making enough?

Cropsy

Yeah, good question. I see some sources listing it as a “conditionally” essential Amino Acid for thos in recovery or “critically ill” (I somehow think weight training might not quite justify it). Martin Berkhan on Leangains wrote, "L-Glutamin show no benefit for anyone outside a hospital setting. And certainly not for anyone on a high-protein diet."I have seen others write that it is beneficial on a very low carb diet. Would be great to hear Kiefer or Naomi's thoughts on it too.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Yeah, good question. I see some sources listing it as a "conditionally" essential Amino Acid for thos in recovery or "critically ill" (I somehow think weight training might not quite justify it). Martin Berkhan on Leangains wrote, "L-Glutamin show no benefit for anyone outside a hospital setting. And certainly not for anyone on a high-protein diet."I have seen others write that it is beneficial on a very low carb diet. Would be great to hear Kiefer or Naomi's thoughts on it too.

I've read some studies on glutamine a while back and they showed no benefits following weight training.  I supplemented with glutamine for a while and I didn't get any benefits.  All I got were stomach aches.

Cropsy

Hmmm… maybe I'll stick with Leucine, Creatine, and Whey… Thanks.

T Nation article on Glutamine...http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/how_to_harness_the_anabolic_power_of_cell_volumeI was ignorant of its importance (according to this article anyway). Are a lot of people on here supplementing with it?

I'll admit, I didn't go to that link (I will later) ... but, I do use L-Glutamine regularly -- I take 10g before and after workouts.It is anti-catabolic, and it raises GH levels in the body.  It also aids in digestion.  Each serving of (good) whey delivers 5g of glutamine, too (usually).Cory

The thing about glutamine though is that unlike leucine, it is a non-essential amino acid, meaning the body can make it.  So the question should be, is our body making enough?

That is a good point.The body DOES produce Glutamine, naturally... for inactive people, the amount is quite possibly superfluous... but for active types, supplementation is recommended.

Russell Crosswy
    Participant

Interesting article, I though a good wpi produced glutamine naturally in the body.  No?

I'm sure a whey protein isolate(WPI) would help with the body's glutamine production. Kiefer speaks to WPI specifically as helping glutathione (notice the different spelling) which is a powerful antioxidant produced by the human body. I think that may be what you are talking about, not sure. Just offering that up to help if that is what you are thinking about. Not trying to go smartypants on ya...

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I'm sure a whey protein isolate(WPI) would help with the body's glutamine production. Kiefer speaks to WPI specifically as helping glutathione (notice the different spelling) which is a powerful antioxidant produced by the human body. I think that may be what you are talking about, not sure. Just offering that up to help if that is what you are thinking about. Not trying to go smartypants on ya...

No he means glutamine.  The body produces glutamine from amino acids (which whey protein provides a lot of) and free glutamine is also present in foods.  The reason I am skeptical of glutamine supplementation is that if you are on a high protein diet, you are getting an enormous amount of amino acids, which means that the body might be producing all the glutamine it needs, plus the free glutamine found in food.

Naomi Most

that would be glutathione.

Naomi Most

No he means glutamine.  The body produces glutamine from amino acids (which whey protein provides a lot of) and free glutamine is also present in foods.  The reason I am skeptical of glutamine supplementation is that if you are on a high protein diet, you are getting an enormous amount of amino acids, which means that the body might be producing all the glutamine it needs, plus the free glutamine found in food.

Agreed.The study everyone's so excited about with respect to glutamine supplementation was conducted in-vitro, so I'm extremely skeptical of its applicability to recommendations.  All it showed was that glutamine was necessary to fully stimulate mTOR.  OK, well, we kinda knew that.  We also know that glutamine is one of the most abundant AAs in the human body.  So.... why should we supplement with it, exactly?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Glutamine

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?