Glute training

• This topic has 10 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Kim Andrews
    Participant

I struggle to get a good workout or maximise my glute training, what are some really good exercises other than squats as these don't tend to work, higher reps? Lower? I gave a home gym with squat rack etc, but no smith machine. Thanks for your help! I follow a 5×5 programme currently. But fairly random with that., and never sure  how to split my days. I'm doing cns, love muscles, would still like to drop some body fat, currently at 19%

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Glute bridge and hip thrusts.  Sumo deadlifts are pretty good too.

Spatz

Glute bridge and hip thrusts.

+1. I started adding hip thrusts into my workout routine and I have to say, I'm quite pleased with my derrière progress.

Kim Andrews
    Participant

Glute bridge or hip thrusts, that's with barbell, is there a link to demo these? They sound like a good option. I've used sumo dead lifts also, my legs are definitely my strong point and struggle to overload and stimulate them. Might just have to go heavier but then my forearms blow out. Would seriously like to shred my legs more lol.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Glute bridge or hip thrusts, that's with barbell, is there a link to demo these? They sound like a good option. I've used sumo dead lifts also, my legs are definitely my strong point and struggle to overload and stimulate them. Might just have to go heavier but then my forearms blow out. Would seriously like to shred my legs more lol.

Use a mixed grip, use straps, or use chalk.  Here are videos of hip thrusts and glute bridges:Hip Thrust:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCm-70-9_XEGlute Bridge:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZKgNYywPigThe glute bridge isolates the glutes.  The hip thrust hits the quads in addition to the glutes.When doing hip thrusts and glute bridges do sets of 10-15.  Low reps don't work great with these exercises.  You also need to use a relatively slow tempo.Sumo deads is where you can go heavy and explosive with glutes.

Penny Danner
    Participant

Glute bridge and hip thrusts.

+1. I started adding hip thrusts into my workout routine and I have to say, I'm quite pleased with my derrière progress.

I want to add these to my SW workouts.  Now that some fat is leaving from my lower abs (and rear), I wanna be sure to keep those glutes high and tight. 😉

Bradley R. Collins
    Participant

I would add lunges to the the gray movements already mentioned.

backlash79

Bret Contreras recent article:http://www.t-nation.com/training/bigger-better-glutes

Kim Andrews
    Participant

This is really helpful, thanks heaps, buns of steel here we come!!

First Ever Post …..After reading this post and listening to the glute podcast, I added hip thrusts and glute bridges to my leg work out last night.  I felt a bit goofy but I did feel the activation and plan on giving it a go for the next month or so.  I couldn't help singing "baby's got back"

Penny Danner
    Participant

YAY!!  My glutes are coming in very nicely I'm told.  😛  Keep it up!  Goofy or not, the results are worth it!  Mary Gines (from the Transforming Recipes and Desserts book) posted this on FB.  I tore the plantar fascia ligament in my foot so no more squats for me for awhile and I'm gonna see how hip thrusts go today, BUT I did these yesterday and the glutes were on FIRE!!!https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=882906735055419&set=vb.100000083030481&type=2&theater

TCB
    Participant

This is an old thread, but I just wanted to point out that if you want to feel your glute training more, across all exercises, you need to focus on contracting them during the movement.Sumo deadlifting is easy to do without fully engaging the glute. You need to think about actively engaging them and pushing your hips through the movement using them, or it can easily stay as a hamstring and low back movement.Similarly with bridges and thrusts, you need to focus on making the glutes tight as possible, especially at the peak of the movement. Both of these movements are often done incorrectly by engaging the lower back to lift the pelvis, but focus on the glutes, and almost tilting the bottom of your pelvis "forward" (posterior tilt), and you'll feel it in the bum.And another thing you can do is add a stretch band around your knees and perform standard deadlifts, and glute bridges, etc, and really focus on driving your knees out against the band, fighting the valgus collapse. You'll feel it burn on the outside of the butt.

Box squats try and minimize rocking to get up Depth before dishonor!!!!

Penny Danner
    Participant

This is an old thread, but I just wanted to point out that if you want to feel your glute training more, across all exercises, you need to focus on contracting them during the movement.Sumo deadlifting is easy to do without fully engaging the glute. You need to think about actively engaging them and pushing your hips through the movement using them, or it can easily stay as a hamstring and low back movement.Similarly with bridges and thrusts, you need to focus on making the glutes tight as possible, especially at the peak of the movement. Both of these movements are often done incorrectly by engaging the lower back to lift the pelvis, but focus on the glutes, and almost tilting the bottom of your pelvis "forward" (posterior tilt), and you'll feel it in the bum.And another thing you can do is add a stretch band around your knees and perform standard deadlifts, and glute bridges, etc, and really focus on driving your knees out against the band, fighting the valgus collapse. You'll feel it burn on the outside of the butt.

+1

Box squats try and minimize rocking to get up Depth before dishonor!!!!

Box squats day before yesterday and kicked my behind, in a really good way.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Glute training

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?