Grape Juice for backloading

• This topic has 4 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

tww0711
    Keymaster

I know Keifer says that grapes, mangos and bannanas are great for spiking insulin, so I was wondering if pounding a bunch of grape juice in my PWO shake would work as well as grapes.  By going with the juice I could avoid the fiber that might fill me up to much to take in other foods and I would be able to get in a lot of carbs from it.  Any input? 

ADTS

I like your thinking and I want to know the answer, so I will bump this thread now.

Kris1501

Too much fructose I would say… Grapes that are not over ripe contain more glucose than fructose…… Complete opposite of that with juice.

ADTS

Too much fructose I would say... Grapes that are not over ripe contain more glucose than fructose...... Complete opposite of that with juice.

So ripe grapes are used in juice? I can't accept this answer, yet. Need confirmationNot saying you're wrong, we just need to bring more solid evidence for a great question.Also, how would one determine if grapes are ripened or not aside from picking them yourself at a vineyard.

Kris1501

I have no idea what type of grapes they use…. Here's some good reading though.http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-009011000000000000000.html?maxCount=78

ADTS

Kris, I appreciate the responseConclusions:Grape Juice is approx 50/50 fructose/glucose, making it no different that table sugar.Suboptimal for backloading.

Richard Schmitt

I've been using just straight Red Grapes for some of my backloads, just a couple handfuls, nothing spectacular

tww0711

Thanks for the replies guys.  @ ADTS: Have you noticed that Keifer did not seem to go into as much detail in regards to sugar types and sweetner alternatives in CBL?  Seems like a dedicated a good chunk of Carbnite to sugar types (fructose, glucose, sucrose) and alternative sweeteners (stevia, aspartame, etc…).  Any idease why?  I wonder if it is as important with CBL?  Also for anyone....has anyone made up a food list for foods/recipes they use for either low carb meals, low carb snacks, and CBL foods that you may use as staples to your diet?  Ideas that might be different from the foods Keifer noted, but would fit well in to the protocol.

Newfiedan
    Participant

If you are doing things correctly then you are doing a food log, there are multiple web sites which are beneficial for just this purpose. I use myfitnesspal.com for mine as I got my start with cal counting then evolved into using carb nite and carb backloading to reach my goals. My staples are pretty straightforward and simple, I like to keep things simple.Low carb:meats of all sorts, beef, chicken, tuna, turkeyfats:unsalted butter, coconut oil, olive oil, bacon fatCarbs:veggies in appropriate doses watching carbs on low daysBackloading:Simple carbs, cookies, pastries, etc avoiding any which have high fructose content. In member logs I gave a weeks worth of diet samples for macro breakdowns. If you bought the books you can get acccess to that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Grape Juice for backloading

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?