Greek Yogurt

• This topic has 7 voices and 13 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Richard Schmitt

For those who can't tolerate dairy very, like lactose intolerant folks, has anyone tried these types of yogurts? Did y'all experience any horrible affects?

maxwkw

I don't handle dairy very well and a small amount of Greek yogurt is fine. If I get much more than a cup or so I'll start to get really bloated and icky

Richard Schmitt

Yeah I was curious in how it'll affect things. I was looking online about it and Greek Yogurts contain less than 5% of lactose. Then could take a lactase enzyme pill to help digest it better

ManBearFrog

Yeah I was curious in how it'll affect things. I was looking online about it and Greek Yogurts contain less than 5% of lactose. Then could take a lactase enzyme pill to help digest it better

I couldn't find the lactose content, but I tend to use Bulgarian yogurt quite a bit because it's a lower carb content than Greek.  I don't usually have any issues with lactose, so I can't speak on that part, but according to wikipedia: "Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus (until 1984 known as Lactobacillus bulgaricus) is one of several bacteria used for the production of yogurt. It is also found in other naturally fermented products. First identified in 1905 by the Bulgarian doctor Stamen Grigorov, the bacterium feeds on lactose to produce lactic acid, which is used to preserve milk...It is often helpful to sufferers of lactose intolerance,[citation needed] whose digestive systems lack the enzymes to break down lactose to simpler sugars."

For those who can't tolerate dairy very, like lactose intolerant folks, has anyone tried these types of yogurts? Did y'all experience any horrible affects?

Not sure if there are Trader Joe's in Texas but the Trader Joe's in Chicago now have Coconut yogurts. I ate yogurts for so long on bodybuilding style diets that I don't care to ever have it again.

Richard Schmitt

Not sure if there are Trader Joe's in Texas but the Trader Joe's in Chicago now have Coconut yogurts. I ate yogurts for so long on bodybuilding style diets that I don't care to ever have it again.

Are the Coconut Yogurts safe to use for carb meals? I know So Delicious makes Greek and Regular yogurts.

Are the Coconut Yogurts safe to use for carb meals? I know So Delicious makes Greek and Regular yogurts.

I'll take a look at the nutrition content this weekend when I go shopping. I had Ben and Jerrys frozen greek yogurt in my backload last night. It treated my stomach just fine. It didn't taste as good as I expected(Banana peanut butter) but its nice to know I have other options.

Richard Schmitt

No joke huh? It would be interesting to try that type.

No joke huh? It would be interesting to try that type.

Target had the other Ben and Jerry's frozen greek yogurts on sale. Passed it up do to the sadness of Peanut butter banana lol.

Richard Schmitt

Is there no other flavors? I mean I'm content with just freezing bananas and adding flavors myself to make ice cream but Greek Yogurt is something different

Phatty

Try mixing greek yogurt and flaxseed flour. It tastes like cold porridge, it makes a nice breakfast when you don't want bacon/eggs.

The nutrition breakdown is 2.5 grams of fat and 24 grams of carbs. I don't recall the protein content.

steve_76

I have greek yogurt with two tablespoons of peanut butter probably three times a week. Just doing it to up my fats on off days. Doesn't hurt.

Nadya Topalovaivan
    Participant

I used to eat tons of what you call Greek yogurt (actually Bulgarian yogurt), since I'm in Bulgaria right now and the thing is everywhere in all shapes and sizes. Since I stopped cow products, however I haven't had any.Today I got my hands on some buffalo yogurt, which is made in some rural parts of the country. I tried one tbsp and waited a a few minutes for some stomach reaction. I felt nothing and continued to downing >300g of it. It was great. It thought it's a lot closer to cow, than the usual goat products I consume and I was worried, but it was in vain.I'm not sure if it's the bacteria that makes the yogurt or because it was buffalo, but I can stomach it just fine.Thought I would share...

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Greek Yogurt

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?