Half Marathon Training

• This topic has 4 voices and 14 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

abbbyc

Soo… just the thought of posting this thread has me scared – I can see the replies already… “steady state cardio sucks” “it'll screw you up” “endurance training is stupid.” Thankfully, I'm not scurrred  đŸ™‚I ran my first half-marathon in January with an awful time. I had dealt with some mental issues leading up to the half, along with horrible nutrition (helloooo LSU football), and to top it all off, got sick with a cold a few days before the race. Anyways, I finished, but honestly, I'm embarrassed with my performance. I've gotten the itch to run again, and I guess I'm just debating on whether or not it's a good idea. I want to beat my previous time and prove that I can let my body not go to shit while doing it. I've done some searching on here, but realize half marathon training isn't the most popular topic.. so my questions for you guys...1 - How possible do you think it is to train for improved performance and still maintain muscle/bf levels?2 - What type of nutrition approach would you take? CNS or CBL, when to place carbs, etc. Training-wise, I plan to use the same program I used for the original race; short runs Tues/Thurs, long run Saturday, with a few crosstraining sessions thrown in. I'm thinking of replacing one of the short runs or CT sessions with hill sprints or a tempo run or something. Race is about 16-17 weeks away, so I have some time to tweak the training/nutrition schedule. Interested to see the replies to this.

Richard Schmitt

Soo... just the thought of posting this thread has me scared - I can see the replies already... "steady state cardio sucks" "it'll screw you up" "endurance training is stupid." Thankfully, I'm not scurrred  đŸ™‚I ran my first half-marathon in January with an awful time. I had dealt with some mental issues leading up to the half, along with horrible nutrition (helloooo LSU football), and to top it all off, got sick with a cold a few days before the race. Anyways, I finished, but honestly, I'm embarrassed with my performance. I've gotten the itch to run again, and I guess I'm just debating on whether or not it's a good idea. I want to beat my previous time and prove that I can let my body not go to shit while doing it. I've done some searching on here, but realize half marathon training isn't the most popular topic.. so my questions for you guys...1 - How possible do you think it is to train for improved performance and still maintain muscle/bf levels?2 - What type of nutrition approach would you take? CNS or CBL, when to place carbs, etc. Training-wise, I plan to use the same program I used for the original race; short runs Tues/Thurs, long run Saturday, with a few crosstraining sessions thrown in. I'm thinking of replacing one of the short runs or CT sessions with hill sprints or a tempo run or something. Race is about 16-17 weeks away, so I have some time to tweak the training/nutrition schedule. Interested to see the replies to this.

I'd say go for it! Once it's done, cross it off the Bucket List if anything. 1) Honestly I think it could very possible. Just keep up with good nutrition and monitor it.2) Now for the program...maybe CNS. Since its been done before while someone else was doing CNS. I would maybe up the fat intake a bit for energy especially for long runs. Are you planning to lift at all? If so maybe lift 2-3x a week tagged with the running schedule you have set up.

abbbyc

The mistake I made the first time was that I basically stopped lifting and started eating a ton of shit. I'd like to continue with 531, just add in the running. May back down to only the main lifts if I start to feel run down. I heard the podcast where Keifer recommended CNS, with carb meals the day before a long run/race, but I'm wondering if a small carb meal on lifting days would be beneficial? I'm talking like just the carbs in my PWO shake.

Richard Schmitt

If you plan to run fasted the next morning maybe a small backload to help fuel those days might help.

monsieurjkb

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but this is worth a read regardless… http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/women-running-into-trouble/  Main point around here is that it won't help with fat loss.Kiefer has answered a question about marathons in one of the recent podcasts... something about training too. Def go back and listen if you can find it. I want to say he commented on the 'long day' run in training and that they might be unnecessary. Obviously some sprints would be a good idea. đŸ˜‰ CNS seems like it'd be better for training.

abbbyc

I've read that article before, and definitely see what it says. I guess I just have to weigh both sides of it.. I did enjoy kind of “checking out” during runs, but don't want to make the mistakes I have before. I want to train like athlete and perform like one… not just throw on shoes and struggle through it, eating shit and drinking a lot of beer along the way. I've still got plenty of time to decide, so I guess I just need to decide if I'm up for the challenge - beating my previous time, while maintaining muscle mass and bf levels.

Richard Schmitt

I've read that article before, and definitely see what it says. I guess I just have to weigh both sides of it.. I did enjoy kind of "checking out" during runs, but don't want to make the mistakes I have before. I want to train like athlete and perform like one... not just throw on shoes and struggle through it, eating shit and drinking a lot of beer along the way. I've still got plenty of time to decide, so I guess I just need to decide if I'm up for the challenge - beating my previous time, while maintaining muscle mass and bf levels.

Eat accordingly and train accordingly! I know that a modified CNS would mostly likely do you some good with this half-marathon.

Sugoi

I've read that article before, and definitely see what it says. I guess I just have to weigh both sides of it.. I did enjoy kind of "checking out" during runs, but don't want to make the mistakes I have before. I want to train like athlete and perform like one... not just throw on shoes and struggle through it, eating shit and drinking a lot of beer along the way. I've still got plenty of time to decide, so I guess I just need to decide if I'm up for the challenge - beating my previous time, while maintaining muscle mass and bf levels.

Eat accordingly and train accordingly! I know that a modified CNS would mostly likely do you some good with this half-marathon.

How would you modify it?

sckiely
    Participant

My suggestion is if you like running then run. The protocols here can still benefit you, particularly if you are lifting heavy.So for your goal I would choose backloading with 5/3/1 up until a month out from the race then switch to carb nite to get your body used to utilizing fat for fuel, then plan a carb note to fall the night before the race!This should help get you prepared, build strength and muscle whilst keeping energy levels high, then with the switch to CNS you can focus a little more on race specific stuff and get your body used to running and fueling itself with just fats.

Richard Schmitt

How would you modify it?

Pretty much what Sckiely mentioned. Since she wants to lift heavy, continue to do so. Just wouldn't combine a real high volume routine if she's running the majority of the week. Keep It Simple. SO backload like mentioned and do CNS leading up to the marathon maybe instead of every week do it every 5th or 6th day due to the running and need energy. However, dietary fats should be in motion and be used if doing CNS correctly. Plus once shes done with the Half-Marathon...she can treat herself to a Carb Nite if she wanted. As long as it's within that time frame. đŸ˜‰

Sugoi

Thanks!It's always very interesting how the experts here would do it.I'd go for Big Tex' suggestion - sounds better for me, since it takes several weeks to get the body used to constantly burning fat on endurance training.

abbbyc

Thanks for the input guys. I'm like 90% sure I'll be running the race – went for a run on the beach this week and man, it felt good. I'll update my log with the progress. Thanks!And tex... they serve beer to all the runners immediately after the race, so I may just say screw CN hours on that day, lol.

Richard Schmitt

Thanks for the input guys. I'm like 90% sure I'll be running the race - went for a run on the beach this week and man, it felt good. I'll update my log with the progress. Thanks!And tex... they serve beer to all the runners immediately after the race, so I may just say screw CN hours on that day, lol.

Oh you know what's funny, if I know where it would be at and if I could make it. I'll hand you that beer myself

abbbyc

Thanks for the input guys. I'm like 90% sure I'll be running the race - went for a run on the beach this week and man, it felt good. I'll update my log with the progress. Thanks!And tex... they serve beer to all the runners immediately after the race, so I may just say screw CN hours on that day, lol.

Oh you know what's funny, if I know where it would be at and if I could make it. I'll hand you that beer myself

hahah, it'll be in Baton Rouge. This is the original half I signed up for years ago and didn't complete due to depression issues... attempted again last year and sort of the same issue... so in addition to the whole wanting to beat my previous performance, it's also a sort of "face your shit head-on and stop letting things get in the way" approach. If you're ever out this way let me know! 

Richard Schmitt

Well let's not let anything stop you this time. Gotta be sure to let me know when it is because just might make it a road trip!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Half Marathon Training

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?