Heavy Cream in Coffee?

• This topic has 9 voices and 26 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Quick Question about Putting Heavy Cream in Coffee as suggested by Kiefer.Heavy Cream contains a lot of Lactose, even though it is carb free, Lactose triggers insulin secretion quite strongly.Insulin stops fat cells releasing fat to be burnt as energy according to some sources.Is putting heavy cream into coffee a good idea at all? I've also noticed ever since putting heavy cream in my coffee I've gotten very hungry about an hour later, where as before when I was drinking pure black coffee I was not hungry, something to do with the insulin release?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Quick Question about Putting Heavy Cream in Coffee as suggested by Kiefer.Heavy Cream contains a lot of Lactose, even though it is carb free, Lactose triggers insulin secretion quite strongly.Insulin stops fat cells releasing fat to be burnt as energy according to some sources.Is putting heavy cream into coffee a good idea at all? I've also noticed ever since putting heavy cream in my coffee I've gotten very hungry about an hour later, where as before when I was drinking pure black coffee I was not hungry, something to do with the insulin release?

Let's think logically about this:Lactose is a carbohydrate, heavy cream is very low in carbohydrates, therefore how on earth is heavy cream high in lactose?

Spatz

It does contain lactose, but a bit in your coffee shouldn't effect much. Now if you're adding a whole cup of HWC to your cup of coffee, for a 2cup drink… well… that may be an issue. 😉If you follow Jimmy Moore at all, this is what he has to say about HWC and insulin spikes, "I LOVE heavy cream and have never heard of any kind of insulin spike from using it. Regina Wilshire, noted low-carb blogger, adds heavy whipping cream to an Atkins shake to up the fat calories in her diet. It makes no sense that there would be an abnormal spike of insulin from consuming it."Google will have a lot of answers for you, I would suggest you do some research on your own and then decide where you stand on it. Or even try it one way for a month, then try it the other way for a month (without changing anything else) and see if you notice anything different. n=1 is a good idea to figure out what your body can handle and what it can't. Also, you have years of your life left, a few months to figure this out won't hurt.

chalm
    Participant

Kiefer has also admitted to dumping a large amount into his coffee daily.  I'm always going to trust, but verify when it comes to info.  BUT Kiefer is probably right…..

cloudybrain
    Participant

I usually put a tablespoon or more.. with non-hydrogenated, refined coconut oil.. and grassfed butter (the salted kind). I get the salted butter to off-set the taste of the bitter coffee, with a packet of splenda. Give a nice thick creamy coffee in the morning, and no hunger until late in the afternoon.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

I wouldn't say it spikes insulin to any degree that would cause impact, because it doesn't really stack up, as people have said.  There are some anomalies with sort of thing though, Leucine can spike insulin and apparently so can eggs (unless you eat something fatty with the eggs).  I don't know why that is.Keifer is very well versed in pretty much anything he says and does, and along with the fact that it doesn't really make sense, I'd be pretty sure there's no insulin issue with heavy cream.

cloudybrain
    Participant

It's not having high insulin that causes people to get fat. When I was reading about carb-nite, I misunderstood that spikes of insulin is bad because it happens when you consume glucose. That's not the case. There are many reasons why insulin spikes happen.. but what you should know is that insulin spikes due to protein synthesis activates different hormones and causes the body to react differently than when you have insulin spikes due to glucose consumption.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

It's not having high insulin that causes people to get fat.

I'm not sure I am following you on this one.  It is my understanding that insulin is like the key to unlock cells for storage.  Whether that be fat storage in fat cells, or glycogen storage in muscles -- insulin IS the key.  Maybe you meant that "having high insulin" at certain, manipulated times, like on CN or CBL will not make you fat?  But having high insulin on a regular basis can most certainly be a road to unwanted fat storage and eventual obesity.  ...No?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I'm not sure I am following you on this one.  It is my understanding that insulin is like the key to unlock cells for storage.  Whether that be fat storage in fat cells, or glycogen storage in muscles -- insulin IS the key.  Maybe you meant that "having high insulin" at certain, manipulated times, like on CN or CBL will not make you fat?  But having high insulin on a regular basis can most certainly be a road to unwanted fat storage and eventual obesity.  ...No?

I think what cloudybrain is trying to say is that there are other factors beside insulin.  Keep in mind there are tons of athletes and even just regular people that have high insulin levels nearly all the time, yet are very lean.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

I think what cloudybrain is trying to say is that there are other factors beside insulin.  Keep in mind there are tons of athletes and even just regular people that have high insulin levels nearly all the time, yet are very lean.

True -- I wasn't thinking of highly active folks like athletes who are burning it off... just the general population.  Both of my parents are overweight, and have been for as long as I can remember.  My mother has told me recently that she has been diagnosed as insulin resistant and put on Metformin.  It seems to me that carbohydrates and high insulin are the ROOT of their problems.  So I was thinking through that lens... referring to people who are mostly sedentary.  Here at "athlete.io", I should have known better.  😀

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

True -- I wasn't thinking of highly active folks like athletes who are burning it off... just the general population.  Both of my parents are overweight, and have been for as long as I can remember.  My mother has told me recently that she has been diagnosed as insulin resistant and put on Metformin.  It seems to me that carbohydrates and high insulin are the ROOT of their problems.  So I was thinking through that lens... referring to people who are mostly sedentary.  Here at "athlete.io", I should have known better.  😀

I agree with you to extent.  Obviously high carbohydrate diets are not appropriate for most people, but I think a lot of the problems that people blame carbs/insulin for are really the result of obesity.  Depending on genetics and other lifestyle factors, some people can tolerate pretty high carbohydrate intakes even though they aren't athletes.  For example, a handful of societies (Japanese and Kitavans) have pretty high carb diets and are much healthier than Western societies.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

And the best way to get rid of obesity is control insulin and carbs, so aren't you're kinda breakin his balls a bit?  😛It is interesting how some non-athletes seem to handle carbohydrates so well, but they also may not be handling them quite as well as we think either.  Like they might be lean but have lurking health problems.Also, I think some of it can also be explained by slow releasing carbs and lower stress lifestyle due to meditative practises and perhaps a healthier work practises. I know Keifer sometimes takes exception to such carbs being overused, but there are also many examples of slow carb diets being successful.I doubt they are as effective as his protocols and can even mess with cns or cbl when used incorrectly, but there's a lot of success with slow carb diets non the less.One prominent example might be Tim Ferriss's slow carb diet which seems to work really well for most people that try it.  I find it a bit confusing as insulin will be present so often, but none the less the body seems to burn fat.  There is obviously some mechanism by which this works well too.  Perhaps we can burn fat efficiently with a fairly constant but low insulin stream as well.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

And the best way to get rid of obesity is control insulin and carbs, so aren't you're kinda breakin his balls a bit?  😛

Are you referring to my balls?  If so, thanks.  😀  If not... I don't know whose balls we are talking about here.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

And the best way to get rid of obesity is control insulin and carbs, so aren't you're kinda breakin his balls a bit?  😛

No, I'm not breaking anyone's balls.  I'm just saying there's more to losing body fat than simply controlling insulin and eliminating carbs.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

Are you referring to my balls?  If so, thanks.  😀  If not... I don't know whose balls we are talking about here.

😀 I said it and thought, 'maybe its a woman'.  I really should have looked at the picture.  :-X  😮

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Heavy Cream in Coffee?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?