Heavy Duty Pullups

• This topic has 4 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Syn3rgyUK

Okay, time to come clean… I can't do pullups 🙁 My lats have always been weak, and I can barely do 6 chinups 🙁 HD suggests doing AMAP+3 negs of pullups, should  I do just 3 negatives or should I do AMAP+3 chinups? Cheers

maxwkw

Get yourself a band and do band assisted pull-ups.

TheBrianRoth

Get yourself a band and do band assisted pull-ups.

+1That's how I started. I couldn't do a single pull up, so I started with a heavy band doing 4 or 5 pullups in a set and when I could do 20, I switched to the medium band and my count was back down to 4. When I could do 20 per set with the medium band I switched to a light band and then no band. Now I'm doing 5 or 6 pull-ups in a set and every time I do them I try to do one more than I could last time. 🙂

Bradley R. Collins
    Participant

A girl I train couldn't do pull ups or chin ups despite a few years of doing them in bands.  I took the bands away from her and had her do 3 sets of 5 reps of controlled negatives (jump up to the bar a lower herself over 3-5 seconds) twice a week.  When that became easier, I had her do the same thing but weighted.  We only worked up to about 15-20 lbs.  After 5-6 weeks she hit her first strict pull up.  That was about 2-3 months ago.  Yesterday she did a strict, weighted, chest to bar pull ups with 10 lbs, and can do 6-8 unweighted strict pull ups.  Sometimes the band is a crutch.

TheBrianRoth

A girl I train couldn't do pull ups or chin ups despite a few years of doing them in bands.  I took the bands away from her and had her do 3 sets of 5 reps of controlled negatives (jump up to the bar a lower herself over 3-5 seconds) twice a week.  When that became easier, I had her do the same thing but weighted.  We only worked up to about 15-20 lbs.  After 5-6 weeks she hit her first strict pull up.  That was about 2-3 months ago.  Yesterday she did a strict, weighted, chest to bar pull ups with 10 lbs, and can do 6-8 unweighted strict pull ups.  Sometimes the band is a crutch.

Good point! To each his (or her) own I suppose. For me, it never became a crutch b/c I was always trying to push harder every day I grabbed the bar. Now that I'm doing non-banded pull-ups, I think adding weights like you did for her would be a great way to keep pushing myself harder. Hopefully, I'll start banging out 20 at a time soon. 🙂

Bradley R. Collins
    Participant

Good point! To each his (or her) own I suppose. For me, it never became a crutch b/c I was always trying to push harder every day I grabbed the bar. Now that I'm doing non-banded pull-ups, I think adding weights like you did for her would be a great way to keep pushing myself harder. Hopefully, I'll start banging out 20 at a time soon. 🙂

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you used it as a crutch, only that some people do.  I have clients I train who use them successfull7y, I just have to remind them to progress to lighter bands as they get stronger, as you are doing.  Keep it up!

TheBrianRoth

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you used it as a crutch, only that some people do.  I have clients I train who use them successfull7y, I just have to remind them to progress to lighter bands as they get stronger, as you are doing.  Keep it up!

No offense taken. Like it said, "good point!"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Heavy Duty Pullups

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?