Help with ELECT

• This topic has 9 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Rick
    Keymaster

Confused with this?  Going through each partition for 5 partitions make a set?  Or are is it considered 5 sets?  Basically I am asking do I go through, for example, a set of squats for 5 partitions at 3 reps—would I do this sequence 4 more times or am I done?Thanks

IOWA.PharmD

5 partitions at 3 reps is correct.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I think the best way to describe it is a single reverse drop set.  Its a single set where you do 3 reps, increase weight, 3 reps, increase weight, 3 reps, increase weight, 3 reps, increase weight, and 3 reps.  Make the time between the 3 reps as close to zero as possible.

Rick

Thanks! So 5 partitions at 3 reps is equal to one set.  Then perform 4 more sets to make it 5×3, correct?

False. One full set as described.Not five Elect sets.

jcgomez

Now I am confused. For example, three reps with 100, three reps with 110, three reps with 120, three reps with 130, three reps with 140, and move on to the next exercise?

Damon Amato
    Participant

Correct.

BINGO BONGO

Damon Amato
    Participant

The bigger question I think is how to know what weight to start at, how much to increase it, and what you should end at. To that end, how often and how much should you increase the load the next training session?

maxwkw

What I did the first time is did a few higher rep warm ups, then just started working up in sets of 3. When my speed slowed and form broke down that was my last set. I recorded my weight for the last set and try to beat it next time.

Rick

To summarize: 5 partitions of 3 reps is equivalent to 5 sets of 3?  Am I correct? 

Correct.

The bigger question I think is how to know what weight to start at, how much to increase it, and what you should end at. To that end, how often and how much should you increase the load the next training session?

Like was already said, it goes by feel, form, and slow down of the explosiveness. I am just as guilty as I am sure as plenty out there raising the weight too much and slowing down the movement too much. You have to learn to just adapt the weight to achieve your goal. I have done my best to find weights where I add a 10lb weight to each side. I figured 20 lb increase is decent enough to make my muscles be forced to activate more and more and not too much where I'll be at a crawl at the end. Obviously this is not for all muscle groups, bicep curls it's usually 5-10lb increased in total. Now with what I said above, my first two movements are pretty easy for me. Maybe I am incorrect with my weight increments and they should be smaller, but it has felt pretty good to me.

dawatts22

Now I am confused. For example, three reps with 100, three reps with 110, three reps with 120, three reps with 130, three reps with 140, and move on to the next exercise?

No rest between either.  3 add weight 3 add weight, etc

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

You should be able to explode out of every rep.  I actually find it difficult though to find the sweet spot for weight.  Kiefer says weight doesn't matter, but whenever I did the exercises with weight on the lighter end, I wasn't really getting results.  I did the best when the last 3 reps were very difficult to do but wasn't sticking in the middle of the lift.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Help with ELECT

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?