HIIT and Shockwave 1.4 question

• This topic has 5 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

vandelay87

Hey all,I just downloaded and read thru the Shockwave 1.4 book. Looking forward to getting started on this next week.  One question I had was about HIIT and the timing intervals.  I was surprised to see the optimal work/rest ratios suggested were .5 minutes / 4.5 minutes.  From trolling these boards over the past few months I got the impression that 30 seconds / 60 seconds for 20-25 minutes was optimal for fat loss.  Any insights as to the much longer rest intervals?Thanks!

GonnaBeGiant

To get your heart rate down.

Richard Schmitt

It's a great way to lose fat while packing on muscle. I had an article about various different splits but the one Kiefer recommends is shared among other athlete coaches.

vandelay87

It's a great way to lose fat while packing on muscle. I had an article about various different splits but the one Kiefer recommends is shared among other athlete coaches.

OK, good to know, and hey I'm not going to mind taking 4+ minutes to rest before the next sprint!  I am usually quite spent after doing 30/60s.  Also the quality of those 30s should go way up doing them this way since you have so much more recovery time.

joshua wright
    Participant

how did you get the dowload? i cant get it anywhere?

TheBrianRoth

Hey all,I just downloaded and read thru the Shockwave 1.4 book. Looking forward to getting started on this next week.  One question I had was about HIIT and the timing intervals.  I was surprised to see the optimal work/rest ratios suggested were .5 minutes / 4.5 minutes.  From trolling these boards over the past few months I got the impression that 30 seconds / 60 seconds for 20-25 minutes was optimal for fat loss.  Any insights as to the much longer rest intervals?Thanks!

HIIT intervals usually have 0.5:1 burst to rest ratio. So 30s/60s, 20/40, 60/120 etc. However, the key is to get your heart rate back down, so if you're new at burst (or any cardio) you may take longer in your rest time to get your heart rate down. When I started bursts I was doing 20 sec burst with a 60-90 sec cool-down. Now I usually do 20/40  or 30/60. Also depends on the exercise - I'll run sprints with 20/40 but on a bike I'll do more like 60/120.

Richard Schmitt

He talks about it in a Tubecasts “HIIT for Women” along with a Podcast. Now I'm not sure which podcast it is, but normally women tend to lose body fat best by doing their HIIT in the PWO time. There are different variations that women need to utlize. That split can be okay for females, but tend to look closely towards males. Try 1 minutes sprint with 2 minute recovery or 30 second sprint with 4 minute recovery. The video goes more in depth

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

HIIT and Shockwave 1.4 question

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?