HIIT cycles clarification

• This topic has 2 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

cloudybrain
    Participant

Hey guys,I've been looking through all of Kiefer's stuff, and throughout the forum trying not to ask a question that has been exhaustively asked a bunch of times. But found out that my question in particular hasn't been asked quite so often.I started doing HIIT before resistance training about a month ago, so basically the interval is a 4 min 30 second slow steady pace with 30 seconds of high intensity. I do this for about 20 mins.. then I start doing the resistive training. I've seen noticeable improvements in stamina, body composition is changing, and I've been able to lift more.. surprisingly. This is contrary to my previous perception that HIIT would have made me exhausted before the workout; which is not the case at all.Now, I came across a particularly confusing video by Kiefer on how HIIT cycles should work. He mentions for guys you do 4 mins slow steady then 1 min high intensity and you do this about 8 cycles. Roughly 40 mins of HIIT. This is particularly for the next two days after Carb nite... and for athletes.I currently work out 4 times a week in resistive training, this means 6 HIIT days. After watching the video I incorporated it this way:On training days: 20 min HIIT sessions, 4 mins 30 secs slow, 30 seconds fastnext two days after carb nite: 4 mins slow, 1 min fast - 8 cyclesIs this a bit excessive? I feel great at the moment though. But the 40 mins HIIT on weekends is killer (my carbnite is on friday).Btw.. I fluctuate amazingly on my scale.. one week I'm 260 lbs, the next week I'm 275lbs.. my belt is the same notch though. Is that even normal? I think my body type is definately one effed up thing.Oh and another thing, I do take a low carb energy drink or coffee.. this helps immensely during the workout.. otherwise I'm sluggish.Any thoughts?

Richard Schmitt

The intensity is the key point as he described in the video. Plus you're only doing 8 minutes of total work not 40. I would keep it post CN only and/or morning after a back load. The Anabolic Cardio article goes more in depth about using HIIT with weights after

cloudybrain
    Participant

So no resistence training for the 8 cycles.. 4 min slow, 1 min intenseI still love the 4 HIIT workouts, the (4min 30sec, with 30 sec intense) I do during the week though, I consider it a nice warm up, and I'm pumped for the next hour. I dunno how I feel about giving that up.

Richard Schmitt

So no resistence training for the 8 cycles.. 4 min slow, 1 min intense

No? You should be doing HIIT? Not lifting in between?

cloudybrain
    Participant

So no resistence training for the 8 cycles.. 4 min slow, 1 min intense

No? You should be doing HIIT? Not lifting in between?

hahaha, I was looking at your response and I was like, "what is this guy talking about??" and I reread my question.. I mean, lifting AFTER the cycle type, meaning no lifting after you complete the 8 cycles of 4 min slow, 1 min intense. I did that over the weekend, and I just felt exhausted so I didn't do any resistive training at all.I just feel overall better when I do 4 min 30 second slow, 30 seconds intense, with 5 cycles of that; so I do resistive training aftwarwards.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

HIIT cycles clarification

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?