HIT too easy?

• This topic has 9 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Punmaster

So I do 8 intervals of 30 seconds with roughly 2 minutes rest in between to fully recover. I pick a pace that exhausts me within 30 seconds, which is 12.5 MPH on the treadmill atm, and put an incline of 5 (not so steep). Now obviously I am exhausting myself after each interval but I just don't feel as exhausted as if I just ran at a pace of 9 MPH for 20 minutes which is a 6m30s mile time, my heart rate hovers around 180-183 at this time. I weigh 210 lbs roughly 25% body fat. What exactly are the advantages of HIT in comparison to my 20 minute run, thoughts?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

So I do 8 intervals of 30 seconds with roughly 2 minutes rest in between to fully recover. I pick a pace that exhausts me within 30 seconds, which is 12.5 MPH on the treadmill atm, and put an incline of 5 (not so steep). Now obviously I am exhausting myself after each interval but I just don't feel as exhausted as if I just ran at a pace of 9 MPH for 20 minutes which is a 6m30s mile time, my heart rate hovers around 180-183 at this time. I weigh 210 lbs roughly 25% body fat. What exactly are the advantages of HIT in comparison to my 20 minute run, thoughts?

You can't really do HIIT on a treadmill.  Either use an exercise bike with the resistance up all the way or do hill sprints.  You don't pace yourself, you output 100% effort for the entire 30 seconds.  It should be brutal.HIIT will feel different than a distance run though because you are training two different energy systems.  After you are done with HIIT, it should feel similar to a hard weight training session.The advantage of HIIT to steady state cardio is that it will ramp up your metabolism, you will burn excess glycogen, and it will actually help muscle growth.  Steady State cardio does the opposite.

Spartan Werewolf
    Participant

Agreed.  I'd def recommend doing HITT outside in the open as opposed to a treadmill.  It's just not the same.  Another idea... I'd hurt my knee, so I was messing around for awhile doing HITT sessions in the pool.  Basically sprint swimming from one end to the other, resting for 15 seconds, then back again (10-12 times).  Man, this was taxing!  Still, I wasn't getting the results that I got with outdoor sprinting.  I heard/read somewhere that it may be because of the cooling temperature of the water.  Point is, there is ways to get a good workout, but nothing will be hard outdoor sprints.

The guys may be right about a treadmill not being appropriate for HIIT, but my reccs:Increase the incline til your MPH drops significantly (7-9 MPH or thereabouts) but your heart rate is in a zone you feel comfortable hitting for a short time.Your legs should feel fully engaged and unsteady by the time you are done.  Let em rest for an hour or two and you can work out on them.I mix in a bit of this with my workout as I am usually time constrained (per recent podcasts, HIIT should precede working out with sufficient recovery time that your workout can be unaffected).  Some days I feel really good about the HIIT, some days it makes me feel nervous about squatting with heavy weight (4 me).About your size and bodyfat, best of luck, keep up the good work.

Elizabeth Pagel
    Participant

If you are going to use a treadmill a really good thing to do is to unplug it and use it without any power…. Then each step is like a really hard push . I did that for a while and it was really exhausting.Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

TCB
    Participant

Do Wingates; that feeling of ease will be gone forever.

Keep a barf bucket near by.

Richard Schmitt

Or body bag

TCB
    Participant

Or body bag

And crutches.EDIT: I've been thinking about this.. I wonder if something Wingate-esque could be done on a C2 rower, if you had someone to operate the damper for you.. Set to lowest setting, get a good pace going, then have someone max out the damper, attempting to keep the same stroke rate. If that worked, I'd imagine it would be even worse than on a spin/wingate bike.

Richard Schmitt

Or body bag

And crutches.EDIT: I've been thinking about this.. I wonder if something Wingate-esque could be done on a C2 rower, if you had someone to operate the damper for you.. Set to lowest setting, get a good pace going, then have someone max out the damper, attempting to keep the same stroke rate. If that worked, I'd imagine it would be even worse than on a spin/wingate bike.

Mhmm I bet it would! I want to try and rig the bike I have to do this.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

I find the best way to do HIIT is by knowing the intensity and recovery.  And you can do that really well with a heart rate monitor.Get a good one like a polar because you need accuracy and most gym machines don't cut it, plus apart from the bikes and rowers they suck for HIIT anyway.Try sprinting for 30 sec all out wearing the HRM and then look at your heart rate.  It should be very high. Then see how fast it comes down.  When it comes down to 60% of your maximum heart rate, which is approximately 60% of 220-your age.  If your maximum heart rate is different to the average the new polars can pick that up in their fitness test.  It can also change as your fitness changes.But anyway, you just need a rough guide.  Generally speaking when your heart rate comes back to 120 beats per minute you are good to go again.  Keep doing the 30 sec all out sprints after you come back to 120bpms or 60% of your max heart rate.This is a really good barometer of intensity imo because recovery is where the drastic differences are with people.  A really fit person also with great 'gears' or work capacity will be able to sprint 100m and recover in 10 seconds, repeatedly.A person building fitness will recover decently in the first 2 reps and then will need more and more recovery in the next 3 reps.  The last rep might need a full 4 minutes or even a bit more.This is also a great way to prevent overtraining and killing yourself.I've seen guys trying to do advanced intervals when they are not ready for them and they end up with severe overtraining.  There adrenals are literally shot in a matter of days or weeks and it they have to stop all training for 4-12 days until they feel better.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

HIT too easy?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?