Hiya, Cherie here. About butter

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Travis Polsfut
    Participant

Why do we need grass fed butter? Aren’t all dairy cows grass fed?

Melvin McLain
    Participant

All dairy cattle get some grass (or hay), but they’re usually heavily supplemented with grain to increase milk production.

Butter from totally grass fed cattle is supposed to have a better omega-3 to omega-6 ratio, and thus be more healthy.

But it won’t make any difference in weight loss (other than your wallet). 😀

Spatz

^ agreed. No one says (besides the crazy bulletproof guy…) that you NEED to have grass fed butter.

Eat whatever butter you enjoy and that works for your wallet. I enjoy Kerrygold’s taste, but I usually get Buy For Less’s off brand. 🙂

Travis Polsfut
    Participant

Thanks, I thought only cows for butchering were fattened up with grains….had no idea that they did that with milking cows.

Travis Polsfut
    Participant

Thanks, so far I can’t find it anywhere but the health food store and the price is crazy.

Robert Haas
    Participant

I disagree about making a fat loss difference. Make not make a huge difference but it does make a difference. I guess that puts me in the crazy guy category but who cares.
    It’s about CLA content: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/grass-fed-butter/#axzz3iybHbNDK

If it’s out of your budget then just use coconut oil or stick with regular butter. It’s better then vegetable oils for cooking and margarine for spreads.

The eyes can't see what the mind doesn't understand.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

I guess that puts me in the crazy guy category but who cares.

Lol, Rob — you so crazy! 😀 Seriously, made me laugh this morning. Thanks. 🙂

FWIW I prefer Kerrygold also. We get 3-packs at Costco for $7.69 I believe. BUT we don’t eat tons and tons of butter. If we did, I would probably buy the cheaper stuff sometimes, too.

Travis Polsfut
    Participant

Thanks Rob, I have been using the coconut oil and butter, I will have a look at the link.

Travis Polsfut
    Participant

We do have Costco here in Canada, I will see if I can get someone with a membership to grab me some.

Thanks

Travis Polsfut
    Participant

Interesting article, I already supplement with CLA but the K2 thing is interesting considering my doc just mentioned K in my last visit.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

I could be wrong, but I don’t think supplementation with CLA is necessary (or recommended), especially considering most CLA supplements are derived from plant sources and worthless. I think eating enough red meat, eggs, and healthy fats (not talking about what the USDA would consider “healthy”).

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Robert Haas
    Participant

Agree with yre in that CLA supplements are worthless. Vit K2 is good though.

The eyes can't see what the mind doesn't understand.

Travis Polsfut
    Participant

Thanks, I will leave out the supplement and try the butter and see how that goes. Coming from a natural source will be better.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hiya, Cherie here. About butter

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?