Honestly which type of cardio is best for…?

• This topic has 4 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Richard Schmitt

I was wondering if anyone knew what type of cardio is best for either The Carb Nite Solution or Carb-Backloading. I'm doing cardio in the morning and want to put it use. I know Kiefer posted his HIIT cardio, but is that one good? I usually do 30 second bursts, with a 30 second active recovery time for about 25 minutes, 4x a week. I do use the elliptical and spin cycle bike. I'm not by all means fat or over weight, I got my offical results today on my Body Compostition so I can see where I'm at. Just wondering what everyone thought about Interval Cardio or Cardio in general.

Hurley

Your cardio style sounds alot like mine, so I think it's good!  After Kiefer put up his method, I gave it a try with some hill sprints.  Waiting to catch my breath before the next sprint was a longer rest than I was used to, but it felt like I had a higher quality of sprint towards the end.  Usually, my last few are pathetic slogs up the hill instead of true, all out sprints.  In the gym, I also like to use the spin bike.  At home I have an elliptical (wife's actually) that I don't really like for intervals because of how long it takes to get the setting and then the machine itself up to max effort.

ADTS

Kiefer eluded to an extremely effective method in his post a few days ago, as with cardio the least I can possibly do the better.

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

From what I can tell, Kiefer is not a fan at all of steady state cardio.  He defines that more in depth in some comments on his site, but that's the basic gist I cam away with.He does appear to endorse HIIT however.  I remember reading about a year ago that HIIT is rarely performed correctly because people don't push themselves to a true 95-100% exertion.  It would appear that Kiefer is pushing the 100% exertion and ensuring you can continue that level of exertion through every interval with his rest phase of up to 4 minutes.Ultimately, cardiovascular capacity is important, even if only for the ability to knock out some wicked super-sets on your light leg day 🙂Harrass Kiefer to publish a full HIIT guide of some sort and we'll be set.  He said he is working on testing his "segmented sprint-endurance training™ (SSET)", so let's hope we see it in writing soon.  Until then, I think we would do well to follow his advice of 30 seconds exertion on a spin cycle or outdoor running with a full 100% exertion, then resting until full breathing control is regained(up to 4 minutes), then repeating.  Total time should be no more than 30 minutes.It's all in the article and comments here: http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/902/surgeon-general%E2%80%99s-warning-dh-com-is-known-to-cause-radioactive-superpowers/

Damon Amato
    Participant

FWIW I read a lot of research on increases in cardiac output from different HIIT methods.  The one with the most impressive results that I've seen was a 2 min @90% max HR followed by 1 min rest, 6-8 reps.  I want to say it showed an avg increase in cardiac output by 13% over 6 weeks done 3x/week.  Will post article if I can find it.

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

FWIW I read a lot of research on increases in cardiac output from different HIIT methods.  The one with the most impressive results that I've seen was a 2 min @90% max HR followed by 1 min rest, 6-8 reps.  I want to say it showed an avg increase in cardiac output by 13% over 6 weeks done 3x/week.  Will post article if I can find it.

Perhaps, but increasing cardiac output(CO) is not the goal of performing cardio/HIIT in my opinion.  CO=SV*Rate.  SV is the amount of blood pumped out of the left ventricle in one contraction, Rate is the heart rate, or number of time the heart contracts per minute.  Caffeine or any stimulant can increase CO just by increasing your heart rate.  If you are looking for a study that shows cardiopulmonary benefits from HIIT, I would recommend that it is using SVO2 Max as the measure of cardiopulmonary efficiency. Ultimately though, I believe the purpose of HIIT in the realm of Carb Nite and Carb backloading is to decrease the carb-storing enzyme fatty acid synthase.  I don't think I have actually ever seen Kiefer say anything about doing cardio for cardio benefits.

masZUL
    Participant

I'm not 100% sure the “best” HIIT interval, IMO go with what feels best.  Meaning rest periods just long enough for you to catch your breath then go again – HARD.some studies if you're interested:Perry CG, Heigenhauser GJ, Bonen A, Spriet LL. High-intensity aerobic interval training increases fat and carbohydrate metabolic capacities in human skeletal muscle. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2008 Dec;33(6):1112-23Little JP, Safdar A, Wilkin GP, Tarnopolsky MA, Gibala MJ. A practical model of low-volume high-intensity interval training induces mitochondrial biogenesis in human skeletal muscle: potential mechanisms. J Physiol. 2010 Mar 15;588(Pt 6):1011-22Burgomaster KA, Howarth KR, Phillips SM, Rakobowchuk M, Macdonald MJ, McGee SL, Gibala MJ. Similar metabolic adaptations during exercise after low volume sprint interval and traditional endurance training in humans. J Physiol. 2008 Jan 1;586(1):151-60Gibala MJ, Little JP, van Essen M, Wilkin GP, Burgomaster KA, Safdar A, Raha S, Tarnopolsky MA. Short-term sprint interval versus traditional endurance training: similar initial adaptations in human skeletal muscle and exercise performance. J Physiol. 2006 Sep 15;575(Pt 3):901-11Ross A, Leveritt M. Long-term metabolic and skeletal muscle adaptations to short-sprint training: implications for sprint training and tapering. Sports Med. 2001;31(15):1063-82. ReviewGibala MJ, McGee SL. Metabolic adaptations to short-term high-intensity interval training: a little pain for a lot of gain? Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2008 Apr;36(2):58-63. ReviewMacDougall JD, Hicks AL, MacDonald JR, McKelvie RS, Green HJ, Smith KM. Muscle performance and enzymatic adaptations to sprint interval training. J Appl Physiol. 1998 Jun;84(6):2138-42Barnett C, Carey M, Proietto J, Cerin E, Febbraio MA, Jenkins D. Muscle metabolism during sprint exercise in man: influence of sprint training. J Sci Med Sport. 2004 Sep;7(3):314-22

EddieB305

I have a question. I have been doing the HITT cardio protocol and my question is should I be Back-loading after HITT cardio? My energy levels seem to plummet after and I am in my fifties so recovery is critical for me. Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Honestly which type of cardio is best for…?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?