I am up 7lbs, mostly fat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Need help, advice. CN is failing me so far and I need some ideas please. I have done 6 carb nites since Thanksgiving. I am 7 pounds up since starting, my fat mass has gone up and lean mass down. I have religiously kept my carbs under 30 grams for ULC. I puff up 4 pounds after CN and then only 3 come off afterward. This is adding about a pound of fat a week. I am barely working out maybe 2 days a week and it is mostly low impact aerobic stuff. I tend to ingest more fat than protein, around 150 grams vs. 100 grams of protein a day. I eat two main meals a day (lunch/dinner) with BP coffee in the AM and (no carb) snacks between my coffee and main meals. I keep thinking this is an age problem being 53 with a lower metabolism, but I am just not sure, and I don't want to give up yet. If you need more info to help me tweak things, please let me know. Thanks in advance.   

Robert x Oleary
    Participant

What's your current weight?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

What do the Carb Nites look like?

Roadblock
    Participant

Fat intake is also high. 0.5-1:1 fat:protein ratio seems to be the goal. 1.5:1 is not.

Richard Schmitt

Fat intake is also high. 0.5-1:1 fat:protein ratio seems to be the goal. 1.5:1 is not.

+1, unless you have a medical condition or severerly obese, having too high of fats are not necessary.

I am at 201 with 38.4% fat. 123.8lbs lean/77.3lbs fat BMI=31.5Carb Nites start around 4-5 PM. At work I start with a protein shake with 2 tbs glucose, have snacks every 30 minutes consisting of chips, cookies, candy bar, real meal at 6-7 is either pasta,pizza with bread, rice dish, followed by dessert, pie, ice cream, apple turnovers. I then switch back to snacks, gram crackers w/butter, Ritz crackers, donuts. I end up only drinking later in the night because I am so full and don't want to be too uncomfortable before bed, real sugar Pepsi, protein drink with more glucose. It all ends around 11PM/ 12AM. My first CN was Thanksgiving dinner. Was too full before bed, got leg cramps and was hot during the night. I started taking potassium tabs before bed for cramps, but I don't seem as hot anymore as I did that first time.

Richard Schmitt

I am at 201 with 38.4% fat. 123.8lbs lean/77.3lbs fat BMI=31.5Carb Nites start around 4-5 PM. At work I start with a protein shake with 2 tbs glucose, have snacks every 30 minutes consisting of chips, cookies, candy bar, real meal at 6-7 is either pasta,pizza with bread, rice dish, followed by dessert, pie, ice cream, apple turnovers. I then switch back to snacks, gram crackers w/butter, Ritz crackers, donuts. I end up only drinking later in the night because I am so full and don't want to be too uncomfortable before bed, real sugar Pepsi, protein drink with more glucose. It all ends around 11PM/ 12AM. My first CN was Thanksgiving dinner. Was too full before bed, got leg cramps and was hot during the night. I started taking potassium tabs before bed for cramps, but I don't seem as hot anymore as I did that first time.

You're having WAY too much food for someone who doesn't train much and at that BF%. Also you're eating a lot of processed junk. Just because you're eating carbs, doesn't always mean it is the right ones. Pasta tend to not do well for an ideal carb choice due to what it is made with. I would suggest going with more rice and potatoes type choices for 1-2 carb dinners. Then maybe a dessert or two.While I get having a CN is fun and craving a lot of foods, it is not a type of gorge myself diet or evening. That will only hurt any progress you wish to achieve. With your ULC fats already high, your CN fats are really high as well. Adjust your ULC macros and your CN, you'll start seeing results.

You're having WAY too much food for someone who doesn't train much and at that BF%. Also you're eating a lot of processed junk. Just because you're eating carbs, doesn't always mean it is the right ones. Pasta tend to not do well for an ideal carb choice due to what it is made with. I would suggest going with more rice and potatoes type choices for 1-2 carb dinners.

I was under the impression that you had to eat a lot during the 6-7 hours to keep your insulin levels up. Would a glucose protein shake at 4PM be enough until dinner at 6PM? Also, if you eat a rice/potato dish at 6PM, when do I eat the desert? 2 hours later? What do you eat between 8-11 PM?

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

You're having WAY too much food

Period.On CN and I would also say during the week.

Penny Danner
    Participant

You're having WAY too much food for someone who doesn't train much and at that BF%. Also you're eating a lot of processed junk. Just because you're eating carbs, doesn't always mean it is the right ones. Pasta tend to not do well for an ideal carb choice due to what it is made with. I would suggest going with more rice and potatoes type choices for 1-2 carb dinners.

I was under the impression that you had to eat a lot during the 6-7 hours to keep your insulin levels up. Would a glucose protein shake at 4PM be enough until dinner at 6PM? Also, if you eat a rice/potato dish at 6PM, when do I eat the desert? 2 hours later? What do you eat between 8-11 PM?

Listen to these guys....they KNOW their stuff.  Tex helped me get where I am today. 🙂Not that my CNs are perfect but here is an example of my last one:10896840_10152975678989521_8562323300269261930_n.jpgPWO shake on the way to the restaurant.  I ate half the jambalya because I didn't want to get too full (early dinner at 4) then the amount of pretzels when we got back home.  Then about 3 hours later, I had the "nachos" and 2 bowls of cereal, then 2-3 hrs later I had 1/2 pint of ice cream plus a homemade cookie and a Reese Tree.This next CN I'm planning 4 smallish pancakes with corn syrup; maybe a few bowls of cereal with unsweetened almond milk; and a pint of ice cream.  I've been working at bringing my CNs back under control.  When I first started through Sept I would have a PWO shake, one sweet thing I was craving all week and a few pixy stix (pure dextrose); then a meal of whatever I wanted; then ice cream.  Then I started going CaaaaRRRRAAAZZZYYY with HUGE ones and my body comp was changing slightly but the scale was staying in the same 4# range.  I started changing them a few weeks ago and so far so good.Here's another example:  Dinner out, then Puppy Chow (chex mix with pnt bts/sugar), bowl of cereal /milk; didn't eat the popcorn stuff.  10492459_10152937602839521_1638060111175997122_n.jpg

Melvin McLain
    Participant

You can definitely eat too much on carb nite. A lesser amount of carbs scattered thru-out the evening will still create and maintain the elevated insulin levels. Kiefer even mentioned (somewhere?) that some folks could get by with more/less just snacking on carbs for the evening.I rarely have over 400 grams of carbs on carb nite, but my sweets (if any) are usually bready-type stuff (sweet rolls, honey-buns, etc.) that are pretty filling. Lots of candy and sugary drinks is not a good idea.

Thanks Mac, that was the answer I was looking for. 400 max grams across 8 hours, or 50 grams of good clean carbs per hour. I can do that easily. This IS making sense, and I am listening and taking notes. I am very appreciative of the info so far.

Penny Danner
    Participant

Thanks Mac, that was the answer I was looking for. 400 max grams across 8 hours, or 50 grams of good clean carbs per hour. I can do that easily. This IS making sense, and I am listening and taking notes. I am very appreciative of the info so far.

Not per hour....think in spikes.  Eat, blood sugar spike/insulin goes up "spikes", wait.....probably a good 2-3 hrs; rinse repeat 3 times.The book ALLUDES to 3 meals/spikes.Page 40 "Rather than a single meal, try an early supper and alate dinner together with a before-bed snack. Or maybe you’drather snack before a big meal while delaying the pumpkin pieà la mode for later in the night."

Richard Schmitt

Not per hour....think in spikes.  Eat, blood sugar spike/insulin goes up "spikes", wait.....probably a good 2-3 hrs; rinse repeat 3 times.The book ALLUDES to 3 meals/spikes.Page 40 "Rather than a single meal, try an early supper and alate dinner together with a before-bed snack. Or maybe you’drather snack before a big meal while delaying the pumpkin pieà la mode for later in the night."

+1 that's the whole thing about a CN, spiking insulin. Yes high GI carb can do this, but it does not have to be much. Control your ULC meals and control your CN.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

I've been more under the impression that the first meal creates the spike, and the rest of the meals/carbs just maintain it for the required 6-8 hours.Also from page 40:"You don’t need to eat extremely large amounts of food per sitting—although you can if you choose—simple snacking throughout the evening often achieves the goal."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

I am up 7lbs, mostly fat.

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?