I keep trying to get fat and it doesn’t work!

• This topic has 8 voices and 51 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Richard Schmitt

Are you the terrifing shark? and Kiefer the monsterous bear? haha nice drawing by the way XD

gabex

There's no reason NOT to squat in some form or fashion.  You just need to have the mobility AND stability for the type of squat you are doing.  Most back issues can be alleviated with proper training.  It is definitely not an overnight fix, but it is possible. 

ADTS

There's no reason NOT to squat in some form or fashion.  You just need to have the mobility AND stability for the type of squat you are doing.  Most back issues can be alleviated with proper training.  It is definitely not an overnight fix, but it is possible.

How about the spinal compression caused by loading weight on your back and the effect that has on herniated discs? Trust me I've heard it all and done it all, for some people it just doesnt work.Now there are variations like the Bulgarian Split Squat with dumbbells that I can perform without pain, but for this discussion I was referencing the traditional barbell back squat.

Damon Amato
    Participant

I've actually worked with (for a short time) Dr. Stuart McGill, leading spine biomechanist in…well, Earth.  He'd have some interesting comments for this thread.

gabex

How about the spinal compression caused by loading weight on your back and the effect that has on herniated discs? Trust me I've heard it all and done it all, for some people it just doesnt work.Now there are variations like the Bulgarian Split Squat with dumbbells that I can perform without pain, but for this discussion I was referencing the traditional barbell back squat.

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/category/core-training/http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/category/back-pain/In the mean time, goblet squats, hip belt squats, front squats to box, front squat, etc etc are just a few examples of safe to safer squatting movements.  Btw, I have had 2 back injuries myself.

robhally

Let's not digress into a shouting match over whether squats should be performed or not. They are undoubtedly the king of all exercises in my opinion. If one has the ability to squat one should be squatting, but if squatting means putting your personal health at too much of a risk then find something else to do in its place. Have you ever tried trap bar deadlifts? They seem to mimic the motion of a squat, at least for me. I may be completely wrong though….

Richard Schmitt

Let's not digress into a shouting match over whether squats should be performed or not. They are undoubtedly the king of all exercises in my opinion. If one has the ability to squat one should be squatting, but if squatting means putting your personal health at too much of a risk then find something else to do in its place. Have you ever tried trap bar deadlifts? They seem to mimic the motion of a squat, at least for me. I may be completely wrong though....

I do agree that squats is a really great exercise to do...if you can do them without hurting oneself. and what is a trap bar deadlift?

Damon Amato
    Participant

Let's not digress into a shouting match over whether squats should be performed or not. They are undoubtedly the king of all exercises in my opinion.

lol, am I the only one who noticed the irony of sentence #2 here?

Naomi Most

Let's not digress into a shouting match over whether squats should be performed or not. They are undoubtedly the king of all exercises in my opinion. If one has the ability to squat one should be squatting, but if squatting means putting your personal health at too much of a risk then find something else to do in its place. Have you ever tried trap bar deadlifts? They seem to mimic the motion of a squat, at least for me. I may be completely wrong though....

I haven't -- my gym doesn't have a trap bar.  I go to a 24 hour fitness, go figure! 😀

Naomi Most

Are you the terrifing shark? and Kiefer the monsterous bear? haha nice drawing by the way XD

NOOOooo. It's a metaphor. I mean what's more kickass than a bear? or a shark?Obviously, it is a BEAR HOLDING A SHARK.

Richard Schmitt

NOOOooo. It's a metaphor. I mean what's more kickass than a bear? or a shark?Obviously, it is a BEAR HOLDING A SHARK.

OOH! I get it now hahah!

robhally

Let's not digress into a shouting match over whether squats should be performed or not. They are undoubtedly the king of all exercises in my opinion.

lol, am I the only one who noticed the irony of sentence #2 here?

HAHAA!!! Good catch...

ADTS

I do appreciate the discussion here, and it has been kept more civil than on most other boards in regards to this topic.  I did LOVE squats when I could do them and not sacrifice my back health, which is why I have explored every option possible to continue.I have found some success with goblets, but when it comes to finding a load sufficient for hypertrophy leg press has been king. Once again, all things equal I'd much rather perform ATG squats. I just can't anymore.

Richard Schmitt

I do appreciate the discussion here, and it has been kept more civil than on most other boards in regards to this topic.  I did LOVE squats when I could do them and not sacrifice my back health, which is why I have explored every option possible to continue.I have found some success with goblets, but when it comes to finding a load sufficient for hypertrophy leg press has been king. Once again, all things equal I'd much rather perform ATG squats. I just can't anymore.

I was looking at an article a while back, I couldn't remember where so I can share it here, but it mentioned that if you can't do squats or don't like doing them for certain reasons, then leg press is the next best thing following with a straight-legged deadlift, or lunges. Because of working hamstrings as well as quads. I always do a SLDL when I do legs.

Naomi Most

I was looking at an article a while back, I couldn't remember where so I can share it here, but it mentioned that if you can't do squats or don't like doing them for certain reasons, then leg press is the next best thing following with a straight-legged deadlift, or lunges. Because of working hamstrings as well as quads. I always do a SLDL when I do legs.

I think single-leg romanian deadlifts work do wonders for the development of almost the whole leg. I get lazy and don't do them, and then I see my hamstrings get a little smaller and I get sad and start doing them again.Kiefer showed me a variation that works the glutes as well. It's subtle, but you might be able to feel it if you concentrate on keeping the back foot on the floor (or limiting its lift off the floor as much as possible) and making sure the hips stay square. Good for developing back and leg flexibility at the same time.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

I keep trying to get fat and it doesn’t work!

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?