Idols and inspirations.

• This topic has 7 voices and 34 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Even though I don't particularly aspire to rise to pro bodybuilder status, I honestly have to say that I think Mike Mentzer had the most perfect physique that I've ever seen. And at 5'8, he's the exact same height as I am (although he had a solid 80lbs on me).ment2.jpg

Couldn't agree more about Mentzer.  Although, I have to admit, Heavy Duty didn't work for me... I am more of a volume guy, ala Arnold.I feel Mentzer should've beaten Arnold in the 1980 Olympia.  Arnold was always fantastic, don't get me wrong, but he was simply not "on" that year... he was spread too thin due to his acting.  Mentzer, however, had the whole package.I also feel Platz should've won the 1981 Olympia.  I feel Columbo got a sympathy win.Cory

David Margittai
    Participant

It's just the God damn perfect physique. Haha.But anyway, I've always tended to be drawn to super high volume routines myself (although I'm not sure if that's because my body responds better to it or because I just really enjoy spending a LOT of time in the gym), but if I'm not able to start putting on some actual decent mass with the routine I'm on now, I may actually give a Heavy Duty routine a shot. I've never actually tried one before and it'd definitely be something to tinker with if my volume doesn't show me anything now that I'm finally putting sufficient amounts of nutrients into my body to grow for the first time ever.

It's just the God damn perfect physique. Haha.But anyway, I've always tended to be drawn to super high volume routines myself (although I'm not sure if that's because my body responds better to it or because I just really enjoy spending a LOT of time in the gym), but if I'm not able to start putting on some actual decent mass with the routine I'm on now, I may actually give a Heavy Duty routine a shot. I've never actually tried one before and it'd definitely be something to tinker with if my volume doesn't show me anything now that I'm finally putting sufficient amounts of nutrients into my body to grow for the first time ever.

Heavy Duty is just TOO low volume, you might want to look into "Blood & Guts", which is Dorian Yates' routine... or perhaps "Demon Training" by Trevor Smith (you MUST use a training partner for this routine, it is a unrelenting bastard).  Both styles are HIT, but have slightly more volume due to their structuring.I warn you again, "Demon Training" will absolutely rape your muscles, and you will feel violated... you cannot run that shit for more than 4 weeks.  Steroids or not.  That is if you can get to the 4 week mark.  It looks doable on paper, but in practice you will wish it were over.Cory

Zach516

I just wanna look really athletic, but would like to be ripped just once. Jason stratham is what I would like to maintain, maybe slightly leaner. Also Tom Hardy In the Warrior movie.

Jason Statham has an admirable physique to shoot for, especially for a gentleman of his age.  I love his films, and I love his feats of athleticism, like the Human Flag.Are you familiar with Scott Adkins or Marco Zaror?  If you are not, check them out.  For Adkins (British), check out the films "Ninja", "Undisputed 2" and "Undisputed 3" (he was also in Expendables 2).  For Zaror (Chilean), check out "Undisputed 3", "Mirageman" and "Kiltro".  Those guys are both top-rate martial artists, as well as athletic (and ripped to shreds).  Adkins is also a gymnist, and Zaror does Olypmic Tae Kwon Do and full-contact Shotokan.  Impeccable technique.Keep with it Zach, anything is possible if you want it bad enough, and are willing to work hard to get it.  🙂Cory

Thanks cory! Scott adkins is actually the perfect image of what I am shooting for. I'm starting to get into Wushu as a performance based martial art, so being lean and athletic, with stamina and explosiveness is more valuable to me now than being monstrously huge. I'm already fighting against my height, so i just need leanness and good strength to body weight ratio.

I just wanna look really athletic, but would like to be ripped just once. Jason stratham is what I would like to maintain, maybe slightly leaner. Also Tom Hardy In the Warrior movie.

Jason Statham has an admirable physique to shoot for, especially for a gentleman of his age.  I love his films, and I love his feats of athleticism, like the Human Flag.Are you familiar with Scott Adkins or Marco Zaror?  If you are not, check them out.  For Adkins (British), check out the films "Ninja", "Undisputed 2" and "Undisputed 3" (he was also in Expendables 2).  For Zaror (Chilean), check out "Undisputed 3", "Mirageman" and "Kiltro".  Those guys are both top-rate martial artists, as well as athletic (and ripped to shreds).  Adkins is also a gymnist, and Zaror does Olypmic Tae Kwon Do and full-contact Shotokan.  Impeccable technique.Keep with it Zach, anything is possible if you want it bad enough, and are willing to work hard to get it.  🙂Cory

Thanks cory! Scott adkins is actually the perfect image of what I am shooting for. I'm starting to get into Wushu as a performance based martial art, so being lean and athletic, with stamina and explosiveness is more valuable to me now than being monstrously huge. I'm already fighting against my height, so i just need leanness and good strength to body weight ratio.

From what I know of Adkins' training, he lifts in standard BB'er style.  Nothing fancy.  For his martial arts, he combines gymnastics... which gives him his signature style (very similar to Zaror's, who combines stuntman tricks into his martial arts).Wushu is an excellent choice, and should add some exotic flavor to your existing artforms.I am just glad you are not one of those narrow-minded MMA types who shun the traditional martial arts.  What they fail to understand (or admit to) is Muay Thai, for instance, is very ancient.  It came from Muay Boran, an indigenous Thai fighting form.  Very brutal.An art I wish was available in America is Lerdrit... the Thai military fighting style.  The point of the form is to kill your opponent, literally, with an economy of strikes, in under 30 seconds.  This would be especially effective on the streets, for pure survival.Thus far, all of my training has consisted of Japanese art forms.  I've studied three styles:  Okinawan Karate, Kyokushin Karate and Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (nine traditional schools).  I've been involved in the martial arts since I was 8.Cory

Zach516

From what I know of Adkins' training, he lifts in standard BB'er style.  Nothing fancy.  For his martial arts, he combines gymnastics... which gives him his signature style (very similar to Zaror's, who combines stuntman tricks into his martial arts).Wushu is an excellent choice, and should add some exotic flavor to your existing artforms.I am just glad you are not one of those narrow-minded MMA types who shun the traditional martial arts.  What they fail to understand (or admit to) is Muay Thai, for instance, is very ancient.  It came from Muay Boran, an indigenous Thai fighting form.  Very brutal.An art I wish was available in America is Lerdrit... the Thai military fighting style.  The point of the form is to kill your opponent, literally, with an economy of strikes, in under 30 seconds.  This would be especially effective on the streets, for pure survival.Thus far, all of my training has consisted of Japanese art forms.  I've studied three styles:  Okinawan Karate, Kyokushin Karate and Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (nine traditional schools).  I've been involved in the martial arts since I was 8.Cory

That's very cool. I have some experiance in Hapkido and tae kwon do, but nothing extensive. I have also learned more tradition Southern Hung Gar (prying Mantis). I've always loved the chinese style of martial arts, and admired their mastery over their bodies. The explosiveness in some of the bare hand forms is incredible. I think there is always something that can be learned. That being said, that is why I did MMA. I wanted to try a variety of styles. No one martial art, in my opinion, is perfect for any goal. You have to take what is useful from each form. Donnie Yen is a perfect example of this. Watch Flash point and Ip Man. He has done everything from Wushu, to wing chun, to wrestling and jujitsu, and his mastery in Flash Point and Ip man is fantastic.I also chose an MMA school because I wanted some knowledge that could be easily applied in a self defense or defense of others situation. Though i would never fight in most situations. Despite my size, (6'4, 200 lbs.) I actually hate violence, and would never be a fighter.I have much less experience than you though, as I have only been consistently practicing for the past two years. However, I tend to learn quickly, and Have a driving work ethic.

That's very cool. I have some experiance in Hapkido and tae kwon do, but nothing extensive. I have also learned more tradition Southern Hung Gar (prying Mantis). I've always loved the chinese style of martial arts, and admired their mastery over their bodies. The explosiveness in some of the bare hand forms is incredible. I think there is always something that can be learned. That being said, that is why I did MMA. I wanted to try a variety of styles. No one martial art, in my opinion, is perfect for any goal. You have to take what is useful from each form. Donnie Yen is a perfect example of this. Watch Flash point and Ip Man. He has done everything from Wushu, to wing chun, to wrestling and jujitsu, and his mastery in Flash Point and Ip man is fantastic.I also chose an MMA school because I wanted some knowledge that could be easily applied in a self defense or defense of others situation. Though i would never fight in most situations. Despite my size, (6'4, 200 lbs.) I actually hate violence, and would never be a fighter.I have much less experience than you though, as I have only been consistently practicing for the past two years. However, I tend to learn quickly, and Have a driving work ethic.

Donnie Yen is incredible, and highly underrated in the media's eyes... yet, everyone knows Jet Li (no disrespect).I agree about training multiple styles, that is why I studied Budo Taijutsu (the martial art of the Samurai and Ninja, when they were unarmed).  It is very similar to Aikido, but with basic strikes and weapon work (using and against).  Michael Jai White, one of my inspirations, knows seven different martial arts (including Wushu).I am opposed to violence against innocents.  I live in a BIG city, and I have had to use what I know in defense of myself, and in defense of others (including animals).  I have also fought in full-contact, knockdown tournaments -- free-style.  These are the kind of tournaments where I often walked away with my white gi covered in blood stains (not my own).  Sparring is HIGHLY important to learning proper application against a resisting opponent.One of the lessons tournament fighting taught me was to take your opponent's legs.  If they cannot stand, they cannot fight.  Kyokushin is a style known for its brutal leg attacks that fly under the radar.I am not the fastest guy in the world, but I have beaten speed fighters with my pure power, aim and timing.  I have also learned how to take damage, and keep going.I recommend you study anatomy, it will enhance the effectiveness of your striking.Cory

Zach516

Donnie Yen is incredible, and highly underrated in the media's eyes... yet, everyone knows Jet Li (no disrespect).I agree about training multiple styles, that is why I studied Budo Taijutsu (the martial art of the Samurai and Ninja, when they were unarmed).  It is very similar to Aikido, but with basic strikes and weapon work (using and against).  Michael Jai White, one of my inspirations, knows seven different martial arts (including Wushu).I am opposed to violence against innocents.  I live in a BIG city, and I have had to use what I know in defense of myself, and in defense of others (including animals).  I have also fought in full-contact, knockdown tournaments -- free-style.  These are the kind of tournaments where I often walked away with my white gi covered in blood stains (not my own).  Sparring is HIGHLY important to learning proper application against a resisting opponent.One of the lessons tournament fighting taught me was to take your opponent's legs.  If they cannot stand, they cannot fight.  Kyokushin is a style known for its brutal leg attacks that fly under the radar.I am not the fastest guy in the world, but I have beaten speed fighters with my pure power, aim and timing.  I have also learned how to take damage, and keep going.I recommend you study anatomy, it will enhance the effectiveness of your striking.Cory

Its good I'm an exercise physiology/pre-med major then. And I know the value of leg strikes, as my old teacher emphasized low kicks with the intent to strike the sciatic nerve running down the thigh. I've had it demonstrated on me and demonstrated it on other people. It's very effective and hit it hard enough and you can no longer bare weight on the leg for the duration of all but the longest fights. I spar, but that's about it. And it was full contact, with only shin guards, MMA gloves, and mouth pieces. So I know the value of practice and learning application. As well as how to take a punch. All very good knowledge. But, I have to work on timing, that's an issue i know i need work on, as well as flow.

miku

For me, physiques like Jen Heath, Krista Schaus (both natural bodybuilders), Sarah Bäckman (Swedish armwrestler) and the ultimate, Dana Linn Bailey.The way I see it, even as a woman, if I'm going to bust my ass with training and nutrition, I might as well have something to show for, both in size and definition, and not just look like I lucked out genetically. Plus, capped shoulders, thick legs and rounded glutes are tough to achieve and require hell of a lot of work. This makes them more desirable to me  🙂

Its good I'm an exercise physiology/pre-med major then. And I know the value of leg strikes, as my old teacher emphasized low kicks with the intent to strike the sciatic nerve running down the thigh. I've had it demonstrated on me and demonstrated it on other people. It's very effective and hit it hard enough and you can no longer bare weight on the leg for the duration of all but the longest fights. I spar, but that's about it. And it was full contact, with only shin guards, MMA gloves, and mouth pieces. So I know the value of practice and learning application. As well as how to take a punch. All very good knowledge. But, I have to work on timing, that's an issue i know i need work on, as well as flow.

Timing will come, give it time (no pun intended).  Find what works for you.  I am a bigger guy, so I know I won't be as fast as some 5'8 who weighs 130 lbs.  That said, I developed explosive power... the kind of power that can crush through someone trying to block me -- i.e., destroying their 'weapons' (arms, legs, etc.).  I am also relentless, I had my last opponent trying to back away from me, so I pursued and wouldn't let up.  Steal your opponent's will to fight, that is a great way to win.  I've mentioned before on here that my nickname amongst my dojo buddies and sparring partners is "The Hulk", b/c I go into controlled rages during fights.  Not a rage that will throw my game, but rather a rage that will give me the edge (and make me look scary).  Never underestimate an intimidating appearance (on the streets that can prevent a fight from beginning).Fights often end w/o a knockout if the opponent quits b/c he can no longer bear to stand.  Leg kicks are highly effective, and even beginners w/o much in the way of flexibility can perform them.Cory

For me, physiques like Jen Heath, Krista Schaus (both natural bodybuilders), Sarah Bäckman (Swedish armwrestler) and the ultimate, Dana Linn Bailey.The way I see it, even as a woman, if I'm going to bust my ass with training and nutrition, I might as well have something to show for, both in size and definition, and not just look like I lucked out genetically. Plus, capped shoulders, thick legs and rounded glutes are tough to achieve and require hell of a lot of work. This makes them more desirable to me  🙂

I hear you, and I am familiar with Dana Linn Bailey, she is a spokesmodel for a couple brands I see adverts for.  She has a great physique.Your hard-working attitude is very admirable.  Very rare nowadays.  Embrace it and achieve!  🙂Cory

P.J.
    Participant

I'll play the character game…Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.  He is jacked to all hell, and simply bad ass.  'Nuff said.  8)Cory

David Margittai
    Participant

Gl;itch.e

Heavy Duty is just TOO low volume, you might want to look into "Blood & Guts", which is Dorian Yates' routine... or perhaps "Demon Training" by Trevor Smith (you MUST use a training partner for this routine, it is a unrelenting bastard).  Both styles are HIT, but have slightly more volume due to their structuring.I warn you again, "Demon Training" will absolutely rape your muscles, and you will feel violated... you cannot run that shit for more than 4 weeks.  Steroids or not.  That is if you can get to the 4 week mark.  It looks doable on paper, but in practice you will wish it were over.Cory

If youve been doing high volume for ages going to a HIT/Heavy Duty or a low volume/higher intensity type program is almost guaranteed to bring some quick gains. I put half an inch on my arms by doing 2 weeks of 3x a week full body HIT. Should really try this again actually now that I think of it! Serves as a good deload as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Idols and inspirations.

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?