Insulin and fat ingestion

• This topic has 8 voices and 19 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

monsieurjkb

@Naomi any thoughts on the studies?

CptSmash

I found this study quite interesting, as it had been my belief that insulin responses were predominately from the intake of carbohydrates; however, the study shows some foods stimulate insulin responses more readily than others, regardless of carbohydrate content.http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf+html In contrast, pasta, oatmeal porridge,and All-Bran cereal produced relatively low insulin responses,despite their high carbohydrate contents. Carbohydrate wasquantitatively the major macronutrient for most foods. Thus, itis not surprising that we observed a strong correlation betweenGSs and ISs (r = 0.70, P < 0.001). However, some proteinand fat-rich foods (eggs, beef, fish, lentils, cheese, cake, anddoughnuts) induced as much insulin secretion as did some carbohydrate-rich foods (eg, beef was equal to brown rice andfish was equal to grain bread). As hypothesized, several foodswith similar GSs had disparate ISs (eg, ice cream and yogurt,brown rice and baked beans, cake and apples, and doughnutsand brown pasta). Overall, the fiber content did not predict themagnitude of the insulin response.So it would seem that insulin is not quite dependent upon the actual substrate of the food necessarily.  There is a correlation between high carbohydrate foods, but it doesn't explain why beef would have such a large insulin response.

monsieurjkb

Beef and eggs are high in leucine, which might explain the insulin response. It's widely known that protein causes insulin release as much or more than certain carbohydrate foods. (think whey, bcaas, milk). Also, the protein foods (except cheese) were relatively low in fat (lean beef, poached eggs) which might be a factor to consider when thinking about real world food choices on CBL/CNS. All the more reason to eat 1:1 fat/protein I guess.great find. And full text too!Also: lentils/fail

CptSmash

Also, from that abstract on the first studies, it said they used a hyperglycemic clamp, which by this definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_clamp_technique  would indicate that they either have glucose or insulin being constantly infused into this tissue already along with a meal.  Even while using the control with the clamp, how can you calculate a control on a hyperglycemic clamp on a fasting individual and compare that to foodstuffs someone else is absorbing?  I'm not buying that one for a 1.00 dollar.

monsieurjkb

Yeah I wish there was one similar but done on fasted folks. Seems ridiculous to have a clamp.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Insulin and fat ingestion

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?