Jon Andersen Deep water

• This topic has 10 voices and 26 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Hello, i have a question to those owning the Deep Water Book.Today was the body.io podcast with anderson and it got me curious. However, it was very poor in details imo.But i read that Anderson is on a low carb diet since at least 10 years- which seems to contradict the general consensus that you need carbs to build muscles, or at least to build them fast,Is this really true that anderson promotes all-time low-carbing as part of Deep Water?Im kinda disappointed that kiefer didn't talk about that with Anderson, the podcast seemed too much like an ad to me.

Anderson has discussed this before.  I don't think Anderson really promotes low carb.  He does the low carb thing because he believes it's what's best for his physique and he thinks he does not handle carbs well.  His Deep Water philosophy is all about being tough and working hard so he thinks he can do it on any diet.And Kiefer had Anderson on a podcast about two years ago and this was discussed.  Kiefer even offered to coach Anderson on eating carbs, but Anderson refused and you could tell how hesitant he was.  Anderson did mention though that he ate carbs during his Strongman career, so obviously he recognizes their value for a performance athlete.In my opinion, Jon Anderson is an example that diet really is not as important as everyone thinks.  I'm not saying diet doesn't matter, but some people think diet is everything and it simply is just a piece of the puzzle.

Robert x Oleary
    Participant

A few things about the deepwater diet.It's excessively high in protein, 2g per lbs+, meaning that he is actually getting a decent amount of glucose at that point. Also, Jon Anderson is an IFBB pro among other things, and like it or not steroids are a part of the sports at that level.

Not to mention profressional wrestler and superhuman strongman. I wouldn't be surprised if his veins bled purple. I'm curious what the method for this training is like. Also, seeing the super high protein diet makes me curious as to the why? BPAK's mi40x program has over 1.5g/lb as well, which has me stumped. Why are these BB's going over the marker for what is widelt accepted as the maximal protein intake to promote peak protein-synthesis. I cant help but ask is there something beneficial to gluconeogenesis that I'm unaware of?

A few things about the deepwater diet.It's excessively high in protein, 2g per lbs+, meaning that he is actually getting a decent amount of glucose at that point. Also, Jon Anderson is an IFBB pro among other things, and like it or not steroids are a part of the sports at that level.

Not to mention profressional wrestler and superhuman strongman. I wouldn't be surprised if his veins bled purple. I'm curious what the method for this training is like. Also, seeing the super high protein diet makes me curious as to the why? BPAK's mi40x program has over 1.5g/lb as well, which has me stumped. Why are these BB's going over the marker for what is widelt accepted as the maximal protein intake to promote peak protein-synthesis. I cant help but ask is there something beneficial to gluconeogenesis that I'm unaware of?

My guess is most of it is just broscience that has been past down and become so ingrained in them that they don't do any different. Also with gear you have a greater level of MPS and can use more protein towards muscle growth then you otherwise could.

Robert x Oleary
    Participant

My guess is most of it is just broscience that has been past down and become so ingrained in them that they don't do any different. Also with gear you have a greater level of MPS and can use more protein towards muscle growth then you otherwise could.

This is my educated guess too, on why they are so far above and beyond the necessary ammount of protein that is scientifically backed. I naturally am curious if there is something behind the gluconeogenesis though, if theres perhaps something yet to be observed or tested that this some how stimulates greater hormonal secretions in some way, even though the ATP release is siginificantly less than the standard krebs cycle. Also, I know BPAK is a HUUUUGE advoacte for BCAAS, does anyone know if deep water calls for it? Perhaps theres more to it with amino support as well. I know I gain faster while taking BCAAS, but I also tend to gain more fat too.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

In my opinion, 1.5 g/lb is actually a rather good recommendation if you want to be very lean.  While I do not do this, eating that much protein does tend to result in a leaner physique.  I know the physiology doesn't lead one to conclude that you need that much protein, but in practice that recommendation works well for most people.

In my opinion, 1.5 g/lb is actually a rather good recommendation if you want to be very lean.  While I do not do this, eating that much protein does tend to result in a leaner physique.  I know the physiology doesn't lead one to conclude that you need that much protein, but in practice that recommendation works well for most people.

I would agree. The TEF is higher and it helps you not eat as much because it's satiating. I generally recommend cutting on higher protein because of that.

Rob Haas

I would agree. The TEF is higher and it helps you not eat as much because it's satiating. I generally recommend cutting on higher protein because of that.

Late to the party on this one. From what I'm gathering from seeing the videos he has posted, he is a very high volume training guy. Does this sound about right?

Tracy Jarchow
    Participant

I'm curious as to how a person can eat 5 pounds of beef a day as he says he does in his book and also claim to not have given his body a single gram of carbs in twenty years? That much protein intake with no carb intake should cause a fairly large amount of glucose to be created through gluconeogenesis, no? I know it is not a very efficient way to create glucose but nonetheless he certainly has had LOTS of glucose even if not eaten.Am I way off base here?

I'm curious as to how a person can eat 5 pounds of beef a day as he says he does in his book and also claim to not have given his body a single gram of carbs in twenty years? That much protein intake with no carb intake should cause a fairly large amount of glucose to be created through gluconeogenesis, no? I know it is not a very efficient way to create glucose but nonetheless he certainly has had LOTS of glucose even if not eaten.Am I way off base here?

That's true, all he is saying is he hasn't eaten any carbs directly

Melvin McLain
    Participant

I'm curious as to how a person can afford 5lbs of beef a day… 😀

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

He's sponsored by a beef company, plus he makes a living from his physique, so it's a necessary expense for him.

Rob Haas

I think I'll pass on his book.Don't really need it to do 10 x 10 volume training and be told to eat a ton of beef. LOL.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Jon Andersen Deep water

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?