Ketosis and Carb Backloading

• This topic has 8 voices and 18 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

MikeScience
    Keymaster

I understand that you can go into ketosis after the 10 day ULC phase, but once you start CBL, won't eating upwards of >200g of HI GI carbs knock you out of ketosis. Kiefer says that every morning you awake in a ketogenic state, but for ketosis to occur don't you liver glycogen stores have to be empty? And they wouldn't be empty assuming you followed a CBL protocol and ate a ton of carbs to replenish your carb stores and have enough to last you all the way through your low carb off/rest day and your next day's exercise. Doesn't seem to make sense to me. If the carbs you're eating are for the next days workout then on your off day, you're effectively burning glucose and fat, not just fat as you would be in a ketogenic state. Someone clear this up for me.

Fernando Aguilar
    Participant

From what i understand it's your hormonal environment in the morning that primes you to burn fat…That is why we eat High Insulin responsive carbs, to get that quick spike that does not disturb the normal hormonal process that go through the night and them burn fat in the morning...

MikeScience

That still doesn't make sense, because even Keifer says that your hormonal environment is dicated by what you ate the previous night before. Since you just ate a ton of carbs, there is no way your body will be in ketosis. And if you are in ketosis, then that indicates your glycogen stores are empty. If your glycogen stores are empty then those carbs cannot be used for your next days workout and so CBL in this case it is extremely contradictory.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

No.  First of all we don't care about ketosis.  Ketosis means excess ketones in the bloodstream.  We are concerned with making ketones, ketogenesis.  Both can happen without the other.When the body goes low carb for a period and adapts to using ketones as fuel, it tends to hold on to glycogen more and uses ketones more.  Glyocgen is still released a little bit, but it likes to save most of it for exercise.

GonnaBeGiant

I don't think you will be in ketosis, after the prep phase and starting CBL you are taking advantage of the different hormones that occur during the day. For instance that's why you don't eat carbs In the morning because your body is in a prime state of fat burning. But no you are most likely I'm a ketogenic state.

MikeScience

So I know you can go into Ketosis without depleting Muscle glycogen, but still depleting liver glycogen. Is that what those carbs are for? Because I've read various articles and studies that show that Liver Glycogen stores are usually pretty small, and are emptied after an overnight fast. Even in Lyle McDonalds Ketogenic Diet he shows that Liver Glycogen stores are no more than 100g even in bodybuilders. Since the body is used to burning fat it will more readily turn to producing ketones for energy instead of turning to muscle glycogen, is this correct?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Correct.

Fernando Aguilar
    Participant

So I know you can go into Ketosis without depleting Muscle glycogen, but still depleting liver glycogen. Is that what those carbs are for? Because I've read various articles and studies that show that Liver Glycogen stores are usually pretty small, and are emptied after an overnight fast. Even in Lyle McDonalds Ketogenic Diet he shows that Liver Glycogen stores are no more than 100g even in bodybuilders. Since the body is used to burning fat it will more readily turn to producing ketones for energy instead of turning to muscle glycogen, is this correct?

To that i know that liver glycogen can get pretty high!!!!Glycogen is the only think that those not make the liver sick so it can hold a shit tone of it, and there is actually a disease that makes people store endless amounts of glycogen and even them there livers are just fine...Fructose how ever burns out the liver a lot...

storm47

The CBL ebook states that prep phase since is optional if one is going to “Density Bulk” soI skipped the prep phase.  I eat a lot of fat and protein during the “Ultra Low Carb” first half of the day but I still lack energy.  Could my body not be adapting to using ketones as fuel?

d3spwn
    Participant

That still doesn't make sense, because even Keifer says that your hormonal environment is dicated by what you ate the previous night before. Since you just ate a ton of carbs, there is no way your body will be in ketosis. And if you are in ketosis, then that indicates your glycogen stores are empty. If your glycogen stores are empty then those carbs cannot be used for your next days workout and so CBL in this case it is extremely contradictory.

This doesn't seem to be the way the body works once you are keto adapted. I tried to test this a while back and found that the day after a carb nite I was still in ketosis.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

This doesn't seem to be the way the body works once you are keto adapted. I tried to test this a while back and found that the day after a carb nite I was still in ketosis.

That's because eating carbs can often put one into ketosis if they were ketogenic beforehand.

d3spwn
    Participant

That's because eating carbs can often put one into ketosis if they were ketogenic beforehand.

How does that work?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

How does that work?

Ketosis is excess levels of ketones in the bloodstream.  Ketogenesis is producing ketones.  If one is ketogenic (ketogenesis is occuring) the body is running off ketones which are in the bloodstream.  Then if the individual eats carbohydrates, blood sugar levels rise and since blood sugar is toxic the body will do whatever it takes to get it out and start using the glucose as fuel.  The thing is those ketones are still there (even if ketogenesis has stopped) so now you have excess ketones in the bloodstream(the state of ketosis) because the body is no longer using them as fuel.  So the body will start excreeting them out through urine and exhalations. 

RJH76

Ketosis is excess levels of ketones in the bloodstream.  Ketogenesis is producing ketones.  If one is ketogenic (ketogenesis is occurring) the body is running off ketones which are in the bloodstream.  Then if the individual eats carbohydrates, blood sugar levels rise and since blood sugar is toxic the body will do whatever it takes to get it out and start using the glucose as fuel.  The thing is those ketones are still there (even if ketogenesis has stopped) so now you have excess ketones in the bloodstream(the state of ketosis) because the body is no longer using them as fuel.  So the body will start excreting them out through urine and exhalations.

Most of this conforms to may understanding of the process, however two points: 1. The fact that the body is excreting ketone bodies without use, means that ketogenesis has stopped (in this context); therefore the body isn't in a ketogenic state.  That said, the fact that the body is excreting ketones is irrelevant in the context it was used. Why not just say that the body has returned to normal fat oxidation and the use of glucose for neurological functions, which it would be doing upon waking up regular carb diet. More likely is was meant and can be interpreted in a straight-forward way, as interpreted by MikeScience in his question. 2. Blood sugar is not toxic to the body. The body uses it, because it is the more efficient fuel choice and is metabolically preferred (especially neural tissue). Ketogenesis is extremely inefficient and metabolically fragile (read: fragile chemical reactions).  This simply doesn't square with anything we know about the evolution of human physiology.  I think this might be confusing alcohol with glucose. Alcohol is toxic, therefore the liver stops metabolising other compounds to focus on exclusively breaking down the alcohol to use for energy and flush the metabolic by-products.  This is why you're not supposed to drink alcohol with medications.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Ketosis is excess levels of ketones in the bloodstream.  Ketogenesis is producing ketones.  If one is ketogenic (ketogenesis is occurring) the body is running off ketones which are in the bloodstream.  Then if the individual eats carbohydrates, blood sugar levels rise and since blood sugar is toxic the body will do whatever it takes to get it out and start using the glucose as fuel.  The thing is those ketones are still there (even if ketogenesis has stopped) so now you have excess ketones in the bloodstream(the state of ketosis) because the body is no longer using them as fuel.  So the body will start excreting them out through urine and exhalations.

Most of this conforms to may understanding of the process, however two points: 1. The fact that the body is excreting ketone bodies without use, means that ketogenesis has stopped (in this context); therefore the body isn't in a ketogenic state.  That said, the fact that the body is excreting ketones is irrelevant in the context it was used. Why not just say that the body has returned to normal fat oxidation and the use of glucose for neurological functions, which it would be doing upon waking up regular carb diet. More likely is was meant and can be interpreted in a straight-forward way, as interpreted by MikeScience in his question. 2. Blood sugar is not toxic to the body. The body uses it, because it is the more efficient fuel choice and is metabolically preferred (especially neural tissue). Ketogenesis is extremely inefficient and metabolically fragile (read: fragile chemical reactions).  This simply doesn't square with anything we know about the evolution of human physiology.  I think this might be confusing alcohol with glucose. Alcohol is toxic, therefore the liver stops metabolising other compounds to focus on exclusively breaking down the alcohol to use for energy and flush the metabolic by-products.  This is why you're not supposed to drink alcohol with medications.

1.  I was explaining to d3spwn why he was able to measure ketones after consuming carbs.  I don't know a better way to explain it than the way I did.2.  Blood sugar must be in a certain range or else you will die.  Blood sugar is toxic once it reaches a certain point.  Maybe the fact that glucose is the preffered fuel choice is the real reason why ketogenesis has stopped, but that still doesn't make what I said incorrect.  Think about this:  What do you think happens when alcohol is consumed with carbohydrates?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ketosis and Carb Backloading

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?