Kettlebells!

• This topic has 6 voices and 21 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

sckiely
    Participant

I love Kettlebell training! I find they carry over to my heavy lifting in so many respects that it is often amazing! I have been using them now for about 6 years and am a HKC certified instructor with DragnoDoor! Anyone interested in information about them please feel free to contact me, particularly for advice regarding “Good” resources and products! There is a heap of SHIT info around so if you want to use them get the right stuff!Now i thought i'd list some of the benefits of KB lifting for Cardio, but in truth i have cycled between the use of them for any goal! I did 18 months straight with nothing but KB's and Bodyweight training after i had surgery and my body was about the leanest it has ever been! 5.7% bodyfat!Done correctly the basic KB movements fit right into HIIT type workouts, The KB swing is the easiest to learn and carries over particularly well to sporting improvements! All Ballistic KB movements are awesome fat burning tools done for time and the carry over to other activities is awesome!On this subject, i never run anymore unless the mood takes me or i take the kids bike riding in the bush( I hate bikes more than running) so i run whilst they ride! The conditioning i get from KB's keeps me able to run this 10-20kms without struggling!The other Cardio option with KB's is practice of the Olympic lift type movements, which have been shown over  and over to burn a ton of fat and transform the Body! the KB variations are easier to learn but still have all the positive benefits! Doing a set of 1 arm snatches and your heart rate will go through the roof!The last option i will talk about for cardio is KB comlplexs and circuits! Weight training movements done one after the other without rest! This can build a heap of muscle when done correctly, whilst burning off a heap of fat! Perfect for CBL!I use KB's and Prowler sled exclusively for my energy system training (Cardio), there is a KB movement to perfectly compliment whatever type of training you are doing, for example i do HEAVY KB swings after squats to trash my hamstrings and posterior chain after the heavy deep squats focus on my quads

Richard Schmitt

Hell yeah sckiely, I'm definitely interested in doing Kettlebell workouts! I keep reading the benefits of it from Naomi's posts and other memeber's post. I'm really wanting to learn as much as I can so when I get back home, I turn to KBs for HIIT and incorporiate those into my Cardio Sessions. What would be a good weight for someone starting out?Also what type of exercises are especially good for burning/losing fat?How would I use this with CBL? After lifting heavy? or Can I use this by itself?Sorry for the questions, just really honored and glad that I'm apart of a group that enjoys/loves working out as much as I do. It's also nice to know that there are other people around the world wanting to keep in shape.

Allenxld

I too am definitely interested in KB training. Although, since I am on CNS, I would mainly be MORE interested in the HEAVY KB training as opposed to the cardio aspect. I have a home-made type of KB that I made from pipe and plate weights (design from the book “The 4-hour Body”) which works ok, but has limited movements due to no loop handle. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Damon Amato
    Participant

Tex, try substituting a DB to use for DB swings or 1 arm snatch to get an idea for weight.  The biggest difference with the kettlebell is going to be the shift in center of gravity.  I like using the for turkish get ups and power snatch.

Richard Schmitt

Tex, try substituting a DB to use for DB swings or 1 arm snatch to get an idea for weight.  The biggest difference with the kettlebell is going to be the shift in center of gravity.  I like using the for turkish get ups and power snatch.

Alright awesome! Thank you sir! I'll try it tomorrow after lifting, I'll do some researching on how to the KB/DB swing properly so I don't "hurt" myself haha

sckiely
    Participant

What would be a good weight for someone starting out?Also what type of exercises are especially good for burning/losing fat?How would I use this with CBL? After lifting heavy? or Can I use this by itself?

A good starting weight for any guy is 16kg KB, i still use mine heaps for snatches and high rep swings and i can press the 40kg for reps, Also as this is a cardio section and Kiefer recommends HIIT, i would use this as the starting point here, 30secs of swings with 1 min rest then repeat, do this for 15mins to start then slowly decrease the rest time.I do my swings in the morning, after rising, after coffee  😉You can do it after lifting as well. I would recommend, if you are truly interested, buying a copy of "Enter The Kettlebell" it covers all the basics in the best possible way, from Pavel Tsatsouline! The guy is the best in the world at Instructing normal people to learn KB's, you can get a book DVD package which will help

Richard Schmitt

What would be a good weight for someone starting out?Also what type of exercises are especially good for burning/losing fat?How would I use this with CBL? After lifting heavy? or Can I use this by itself?

A good starting weight for any guy is 16kg KB, i still use mine heaps for snatches and high rep swings and i can press the 40kg for reps, Also as this is a cardio section and Kiefer recommends HIIT, i would use this as the starting point here, 30secs of swings with 1 min rest then repeat, do this for 15mins to start then slowly decrease the rest time.I do my swings in the morning, after rising, after coffee  😉You can do it after lifting as well. I would recommend, if you are truly interested, buying a copy of "Enter The Kettlebell" it covers all the basics in the best possible way, from Pavel Tsatsouline! The guy is the best in the world at Instructing normal people to learn KB's, you can get a book DVD package which will help

Alright sir thank you!

Raegten

Another great ressource when it comes to Kettlebells is Steve Cotter – that guy is a beast. He also has a ton of really good (imho) instructional videos on youtube…CheersJens

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Anybody got a good kettlebell workout that would be appropriate for HIIT?  I keep trying to do swings and snatches, but I really can't push my cardiovascular system because my muscles get tired first.I usually use the exercise bike for 30 second intervals, but my one cardio workout falls after leg day and my legs are too sore to do that.

Damon Amato
    Participant

turkish get-ups?

sckiely
    Participant

Anybody got a good kettlebell workout that would be appropriate for HIIT?  I keep trying to do swings and snatches, but I really can't push my cardiovascular system because my muscles get tired first.I usually use the exercise bike for 30 second intervals, but my one cardio workout falls after leg day and my legs are too sore to do that.

done correctly doing swings should get your heart rate up almost instantly. Try TABATA style swings, it is the most horible 4 mins of your life  😉find an RKC instructor close to you and see them, this will ensure you are getting the most from your KB sessions!

Damon Amato
    Participant

when you do tabata style swings, what weight are you using?  I tried it with a 50lb DB and didnt feel that worked.  Felt like i wanted to die after doing burpees tabata style.

sckiely
    Participant

i use a 32kg bell, technique is key with the swing though! Did Tabata again today with KB front squats with 2x 24kg bells. Had to lay down on the gymnastics floor when it was over so that i didn't throw up  😀

Luis S.

I used to do a lot of kettle bell exercises back in highschool when i used to wrestle and they were awesome for cardio. I will definitely be jumping on the wagon with this one.  ;D 

AdamFiddler

Mike Mahler is another big kettlebell guy who has a lot of great free vids up on Youtube like Steve Cotter.  He (Mahler) is a strength coach based in Las Vegas who trains a lot of UFC/MMA fighters.  One standard thing I do at the end of every training session (except for the ones where I deadlift) is: 100 KB Swings For Time (What this actually turns into if you pace yourself right is kind of like HIIT at somewhere around a: 1 Minute On/15-20 seconds Rest ratio.)Here are two other blaster workouts with Kettlebells that I hope you enjoy as much as I do =)1)  This is actually a Crossfit Football workout.  5 Rounds of 30 KB Swings One Minute On/One Minute Off.  For every minute interval you don't hit 30, you do a punishment (you decide what it is beforehand--just make sure it's sufficiently unpleasant to provide motivation during the workout haha)2)  This one I just kind of designed last week, and it was definitely one of the toughest things I've done.  Five rounds non-stop of:25 KB Swings (Heavy) with a punishment if you ever put the KB down during swings.25 Box Jumps (I did a 14 inch box, but if you've got stronger legs you can probably try an 18 inch box)60 Yard Farmer's Carry (Just do walking shuttles if you don't have that much straightaway distance)If anybody has some other good self-designed kettlebell complexes would love to hear them. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Kettlebells!

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?