Kiefer, what split do you use?

• This topic has 3 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

drewDOOM
    Keymaster

I have read many of your articles and you mention that you don't go into the gym with a specific plan for your workout or whatever. You said that you just do what feels right to you. To me, this sound likes a perfect way to train because ultimately, everyone's bodies are different and need different training and frequency, etc. Listening to your body and doing what feels right is probably the most natural and logical way to workout. My question is, how do you make sure you are keeping balance with all your muscle groups? Do you have a certain muscle group split that you use (and use don't choose specific lifts ahead of time)? Or do you literally just walk into the gym and workout the muscle groups that aren't sore?Thanks for the help! And keep up the informative articles!BTW, I am trying to gain mass and am currently trying the West side for skinny bastards program, and was just thinking of creating my own instead of using one. The training style you use seemed like a simple, natural solution so I was curious what you do.

Kiefer
    Participant

This is a good question. I normally go to the gym with a plan in mind based on how I feel that day, or if something needs work. Maybe I've been at the computer working, so I'll go in and stretch my pecs a lot then train back with heavy basic movements. And because I've been spending a lot of time at the computer (getting the Carb Back-Loading Book finished up), whenever it's time to do chest, I do a set of bent-over side laterals and stretch between every set. I always squat on a lower body day–always. Even if it's just a few sets of 135 to get everything warm. Other days, I do nothing but deads.Now, this is not the best way to achieve a goal other than maintenance, which is all I have time for right now. Most of the injuries and problems I suffered from earlier in the year seem to be gone, so come January 1st, I plan to train toward a goal, which will mean: I'll write my workouts down at the beginning of each week for the entire week; I'll keep notes; I'll tune my diet; I'll double up on the body work, ART and chiro adjustments; and I'll track my progress.I have not yet decided if I'm going to do a training log online. We'll see.

Hurley

I have not yet decided if I'm going to do a training log online. We'll see.

I think now that you've even mentioned it, your  people may demand it.

CaseyD

Now, this is not the best way to achieve a goal other than maintenance, which is all I have time for right now. Most of the injuries and problems I suffered from earlier in the year seem to be gone, so come January 1st, I plan to train toward a goal, which will mean: I'll write my workouts down at the beginning of each week for the entire week; I'll keep notes; I'll tune my diet; I'll double up on the body work, ART and chiro adjustments; and I'll track my progress.I have not yet decided if I'm going to do a training log online. We'll see.

THANK YOU for including this part. I've seen far too many posts around the web where people who have been lifting for many years mention they train this way. Before you know it, some newb thinks it's a good idea to try it out, only to fail miserably, then come back with a post asking why they aren't gaining. Anyway, I hope to some day be at this point, where I can workout by feel. Until then, I'll keep mapping out my exact routine, which btw, in combination with CB, has been on a great progression.

drewDOOM

So Kiefer, Do you have a particular split or something that you use when you are trying to gains and not just maintenance?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Kiefer, what split do you use?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?