Kiefer’s 30 second HIIT

• This topic has 17 voices and 28 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Cropsy

Does anyone know why Kiefer advocates 30 second work intervals in his HIIT protocol?I'm just curious if there is a scientific reason for it. I find that whenever I'm doing it (usually the morning after 'Carb Nite') my body always wants to stop at exactly the 20 second mark, but I fight through it (with somewhat diminished intensity).I remember seeing the article linked below years ago about how HIIT at a ratio as little as six seconds work to nine seconds rest was incredibly effective. Six seconds is nothing, but you really gun it for those six seconds...Any thoughts?http://www.fitbuff.com/how-to-burn-more-fat-in-less-time-the-secret-to-hiit/

Richard Schmitt

No, but I read a post from him in regards to HIIT the morning after a CN which is to do 1 minute 100% intensity with 2 minutes very easy intensity for about 7-8 bouts.*Just read the article, and very curious on if this study actually works with that split.

caseFSU

No, but I read a post from him in regards to HIIT the morning after a CN which is to do 1 minute 100% intensity with 2 minutes very easy intensity for about 7-8 bouts.*Just read the article, and very curious on if this study actually works with that split.

That just sounds ridiculous. Not many elite athletes (Olympic sprinters) can sprint 100% intensity for a minute.

Richard Schmitt

That just sounds ridiculous. Not many elite athletes (Olympic sprinters) can sprint 100% intensity for a minute.

I understand that, I tried it three times now and I have resistance on and kill myself during that minute, I start to lose the intensity at the 30 second mark, but that doesn't make me stop. May look funny trying to peddle my way off the bike but I don't quit.

Cropsy

Wowwwww, 1 minute at 100%?  😮  I could not do that. As I said, my intensity drops around the 20 second mark on the 30 second protocol, but I make sure I'm going as hard as I can (managed to snap the handle bars off my stationary bike in the process a couple of weeks ago, pretty funny).I didn't realize Kiefer recommended such an intense workout the morning after carb nite. I thought it was the 30 second one... Oh well.

zewski

There's a difference between intensity and effort. Obviously you can't keep the same speed for a whole minute, but I think the point is to give it your all for a full minute regardless of how much you slow down.

Exactly... it's almost impossible to give 100% anyway. That is what 30secs is a good amount of time for an interval. If anything I would say change the recovery time if you have more juice passed the 30 seconds. Or like I do... add more intervals... I do about 8 rounds of intervals

IronFreakShow

Exactly... it's almost impossible to give 100% anyway. That is what 30secs is a good amount of time for an interval. If anything I would say change the recovery time if you have more juice passed the 30 seconds. Or like I do... add more intervals... I do about 8 rounds of intervals

Wouldn't 100% all be relative to what you have to give as far as energy output?  What I mean is at the beginning you can give a 100% of everything you have, by second 30 maybe you’re at 85% of your total output, but if you’re giving that entire 85% isn’t that really still 100% of all the energy that’s available? Maybe I'm over thinking this........

Richard Schmitt

Wouldn't 100% all be relative to what you have to give as far as energy output?  What I mean is at the beginning you can give a 100% of everything you have, by second 30 maybe you’re at 85% of your total output, but if you’re giving that entire 85% isn’t that really still 100% of all the energy that’s available? Maybe I'm over thinking this........

Exactly the way I think it is. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

jcgomez

I am doing Shockwave Ripped right now. Kiefer recommends six 30 second sprints with 4:30 rest twice a week. Last night was my Carb Nite so this morning was HIIT. I actually run/sprint. I do not use the bike. I run in front of my house from a stop sign to approximately my neighbor's mail box. Depending whether it is my first, later, or last interval, I can further or less. Why? I guess because I am running faster or slower. Regardless, the entire I am running I am running as hard as I possibly can and can get my heart rate over 200 beats per minute. I do not believe I could get and keep my HR above 200 beats if was running much more in terms of time. That said, I trained for a race a few months ago, switched to CBL and was doing 2:00 sprints with 4:00 rests as prescribed on page 182 of CBL. While I was never able to get my heart rate over 200 beats per minute, I was nonetheless running as fast as I could for the two minutes. Thus, the conclusion I have arrived at is that no matter the duration of the sprint interval, you have to run/cycle/etc as fast as you can for that period of time–i.e., give 100% for that duration of time.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

If I recall correctly Kiefer said to to do the 30 second intervals after a Carb Nite.  I think he suggested the 1minute intervals to increase VO2 max for zewski, who was training for a MMA.

Richard Schmitt

If I recall correctly Kiefer said to to do the 30 second intervals after a Carb Nite.  I think he suggested the 1minute intervals to increase VO2 max for zewski, who was training for a MMA.

Oh!.... =/ thank you for that...I'll remember that next week. I literally felt like I was going to die this morning.

Leo Solis
    Participant

Does anyone know why Kiefer advocates 30 second work intervals in his HIIT protocol?I'm just curious if there is a scientific reason for it. I find that whenever I'm doing it (usually the morning after 'Carb Nite') my body always wants to stop at exactly the 20 second mark, but I fight through it (with somewhat diminished intensity).I remember seeing the article linked below years ago about how HIIT at a ratio as little as six seconds work to nine seconds rest was incredibly effective. Six seconds is nothing, but you really gun it for those six seconds...Any thoughts?http://www.fitbuff.com/how-to-burn-more-fat-in-less-time-the-secret-to-hiit/According to my understanding, and if I remember well:1. All out 30s cardio work intervals are is very similar to medium rep weight training set, so this kind of cardio wont reduce your strenght2. One of purposes of cardio in these protocols is to enhance the capacity of the muscles to use fat as fuel3. I remember reading in the blog that in research this was the kind of rest and work intervals used to reduce the production of fat synthesizing enzymes

It was suggested to deplete glycogen stores earlier in the week. Wich will allow to increase the lactate threshold faster.

CptSmash

Changing your levels of interval work vs rest time would have to do primarily with which metabolic substrate you want to tap into, and what you're training to do.  If you want the body burning off entirely muscle glycogen (or at least predominately, at no time does the body stop burning carbs and fat at the same time, but the ratios skew heavily depending on the intensity and the length of time) then you would perform shorter sprints at maximum intensity (10-20sec where your body is ATP/PC dominant).  If you wanted to target more of a glycolytic response you would have to perform in the 20-45sec range of intervals.  Anything past 45+ seconds would start getting into pure anaerobic glycolysis and oxidative metabolism, which would start being too low intensity for intervals IMO.  So essentially, I believe Keifer is trying to tax out the anaerobic threshold with 60sec sprints to get right to the point of oxidative metabolism having to take over, releasing a large amount of pyruvate in the process; thus making the body more efficient at converting lactic acid to lactate to be used as fuel and increasing VO2.

Damon Amato
    Participant

geez, I was gonna say something about oxidative phosphorylation, but I think Gremlin covered it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Kiefer’s 30 second HIIT

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?