Kiefers facebook comments regarding improving endurance

• This topic has 7 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jeffrey Hansen
    Participant

The following was what he said on Facebook after someone asked how to improve their endurance for work (the guy who asked looked like a firefighter)DH Kiefer responded"1) Do a minimum of 5 HIIT sessions per week as follows:Base line: 4 min easy/30 sec all out x 6 cycles Phase 2 (high level): 4 min easy/1 min all out x 4 cyclesPhase 3 (pushing anaerobic threshold to the max): 5 min easy/sprint 100% capacity for 2--realize you will not be able to maintain 100% output for the duration but try; 5 cycles max2) For the diet, there are several ways to increase the effectiveness for endurance.A) 5 days ULC + 1 carb note + 1 full day of carbsB) (for diet someone mentioned 3-4 days of CBL per week and ULC on the off days)Kiefer said....a variant of CBL...You need three days at least to wipe out the carbs from CBL and force lactic acid threshold higher.C) iterative CBL implementation3) for minimum downside and maximum results, always stage your HIIT 30 minutes before resistance training, or, on off easy, perform HIIT as early in the day as possible...there is nothing that will out perform HIIT training for increasing endurance..."

Also this – regarding some training for aerobic based athletes such as cyclists, rowers, distance-runners etc."Even if the goal is long-term endurance, there is nothing that will out perform HIIT training for increasing endurance. If you need to do a kind of activity such as cycling, where time on the bike helps (as I am quite familiar with), then I would use a sprint-endurance challenge: Choose a distance that's 40% of the maximum needed for the event; Break it into roughy 10 partitions; each partition should be staged as follows, full out sprinting for as long as can be endured, low level endurance for the remainder of the partition. For example, when I trained to hit sub-5 hours for 100 miles on the bike, my training was a 4 mile loop where the first mile was an all-out sprint which ended with a massive, nasty hill climb; at the top I was dead, but maintained the maximum pace possible to recover. At the next loop, I sprinted all out again."

Richard Schmitt

I think the base line is great for during the week and phase 2 is great for post CN. If you're into endurance training then yeah the 5:2 is good. I'd be smart about it though and wouldn't do the 5:2 all the time or more than once or twice a week. The 5 days ULC then a CN for endurance and a full day of carbs? Interesting.

jimbo40

I'm very curious about the benefit for this protocol in improving endurance. I will try to find the study again to post it but recently read a study comparing 30:4 HIIT with Tabata showing the HIIT had little effect on endurance because of the ability to make a complete recovery. I know at least for up to the 1:4 HIIT, 4 minutes is more than enough to make a full recovery. Does this mean there are even more phases to follow beyond these three? Any insight from Kiefer especially in how these protocols were designed would be very helpful.

Zach516

I used to do 1-1 for ten rounds and I had really good conditioning. (for MMA anyway.) Which is HI anyway.

Kiefer – regarding the training protocol you mentioned above (10×40% of competitive distance intervals) do you suggest going “all out” on the on?  Or say something at target goal pace?

andrew9478

I'm really curious to see if he could expound a little on point 2.  It looks like unless you've been ULC for three days then HIIT is going to be useless to increase your lactic acid threshold?  Also, looking around at other threads I came across this from Kiefer: "Strength endurance (or sprint endurance) won't decrease your strength, but it does make the muscle fibers more dense and causes mitochondriabiogenesis, making your muscles more oxidative (i.e. raising the anaerobic threshold). But it does decrease your size (slightly) and will halt nearly all hypertrophy."That was surprising to see.  I train for strongman, and while I'm not training purely for hypertrophy I do desire it as a side effect of training for strength.  I guess my question is, what would be the best way to improve conditioning for events in the context of a few backloads a week, and at the same time possibly allowing for hypertophy?I also realize that this may very well be covered in the update to CBL, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

jcgomez

Interesting. I trained for a local Tough Mudder type event earlier this year using a similar protocol. I started out CNS and doing 30 second HIIT. Then switched to CBL SA on training days and CNS on rest days. I was doing HIIT four days in the am fasted and Shockwave in the pm. I would rest three days. I then upped my HIIT eventually to a 2 minute all out/4 minute rest period. I wore a heart rate monitor and was getting and keeping sustained heart rates over 160 and as high as 200 during the intensity portion. I got fifth overall. I was 38 at the time. It works.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Kiefers facebook comments regarding improving endurance

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?