Leucine – morning workout

• This topic has 6 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Rsaeire
    Participant

I think I've made a mistake.  🙁I've been re-reading Kiefer and Naomi's articles and I'm pretty sure I've messed up when it comes to when to take leucine. As Kiefer mentioned the following in his Protein Supplementation 2.0 article, "Upon waking, and every two to three hours thereafter, ingest 20 to 40 grams of this mixture along with 5 grams of added leucine with each meal."I thought taking leucine with my pre-workout shake would be okay, even though I workout approximately an hour and a half after I wake up. It seems that I was wrong and I should have known this since the point of taking casein hydrolysates and leucine is to cause an insulin spike... post-workout!I can only workout in the morning (which I know isn't optimal for CBL) so I take my pre-workout shake about half an hour after I wake-up and then wait an hour before I start my workout. Given this, can someone please tell me when I should take leucine and how much? Kiefer mentions 5 g in Protein Supplementation 2.0 but then states 10 g in From EliteFTS, Back Loading: Follow Up.

IOWA.PharmD

My suggestion,Train fasted. Unless you're trying to put on AS MUCH MUSCLE AS POSSIBLE you probably don't need to take a pre-workout shake. Coffee should do. Leucine (4-5g) should be taken in your post workout shake and *5g before every meal within 6 hours after the ending of lifting* (i'm a little unsure about that part)?

Rsaeire
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.The thing is, I am trying to put on as much lean muscle as possible, so would it be beneficial to take whey protein pre-workout in addition to leucine? I've started drinking coffee before my morning workouts too, so I've got that covered.The list of protein supplements I currently have are as follows; just to give you an idea of where I am:- Whey protein concentrate- Egg white protein- Leucine- Creatine

Damon Amato
    Participant

I'd agree, train fasted, just have coffee, maybe with somw MCT oil in it.  Don't take leucine pre-wo, it'll spike insulin and you don't want that yet.-throw away the whey protein concentrate.  It's useless junk.-egg white protein is ok, whey protein isolate and hydrolysate is probably better.-leucine is for pwo shakes and during your carb feasting to spike insulin more.-creatine imo is take it or leave it.  Not necessary but not really detrimental.  I took it for about 8 weeks, didn't do a thing for me.

Rsaeire
    Participant

Whey protein concentrate is junk? How so? I understand that it's slower to digest than whey isolate or hydrolysate, but it's still whey after all.I originally bought egg white protein thinking I could use it to make scrambled eggs, but then I realised that it's only meant for shakes so I ended up being stuck with it. I've been taking it with whey protein concentrate pre-workout as a replacement for micellar casein; which I can't seem to find in the UK. Myprotein used to sell it years ago, from what I've been reading, but the closest thing they have now is a product called Milk Smooth which is only "78% Micellar Casein, the rest is made up from whey protein and bioactive proteins."I do have plans to eventually buy enough protein powders to make blend one and two, as per Kiefer's posts, but, until then, I have to use up what I have; I hate buying something and then not using it.

Damon Amato
    Participant

I tried to search for the thread where Kiefer says what I did, but can't find it now.  Doesn't pull up any kiefer's posts actually.  Anyway, if you post this in CBL official Q&A, Kiefer/Naomi will more likely see it and give a more concise answer.

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

I think I've made a mistake.  🙁I've been re-reading Kiefer and Naomi's articles and I'm pretty sure I've messed up when it comes to when to take leucine. As Kiefer mentioned the following in his Protein Supplementation 2.0 article, "Upon waking, and every two to three hours thereafter, ingest 20 to 40 grams of this mixture along with 5 grams of added leucine with each meal."I thought taking leucine with my pre-workout shake would be okay, even though I workout approximately an hour and a half after I wake up. It seems that I was wrong and I should have known this since the point of taking casein hydrolysates and leucine is to cause an insulin spike... post-workout!I can only workout in the morning (which I know isn't optimal for CBL) so I take my pre-workout shake about half an hour after I wake-up and then wait an hour before I start my workout. Given this, can someone please tell me when I should take leucine and how much? Kiefer mentions 5 g in Protein Supplementation 2.0 but then states 10 g in From EliteFTS, Back Loading: Follow Up.

I would suggest you buy the CBL book as well, if you haven't yet, it's on page 132-135.  Insulin during a workout is not a bad thing, depends on your goals. If you bought the book, then please sign up with it and get on the members only Q&A.  🙂

Rsaeire
    Participant

Thanks Conrad. I've been debating about buying the CBL book and I might just end up buying it soon 😉

Richard Schmitt

Thanks Conrad. I've been debating about buying the CBL book and I might just end up buying it soon 😉

Trust us, it'll be worth it.

Naomi Most

Sorry I didn't see this thread until now.#1 - the Protein 2.0 recommendations are for guys trying to bulk up.  (I wish Kiefer would get better about differentiating who these articles are FOR!)  If your goals don't include also potentially gaining some fat, then skip the Protein 2.0 articles and read about Carb Back-Loading.  You don't need the book to get started, lots of people have done CBL pretty successfully just by reading the CBL Cheat Sheet.  But of course the book is designed to make the whole process dead simple and easy to follow, and you get access to the members-only forum for clarifications and support.#2 - WPC is still protein.  It doesn't have the magic powers of glutathione stimulation that WPI has, but it's totally fine.  Watch your digestion, some people don't handle WPC too well (same goes for WPI... we're all different).

Rsaeire
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Naomi.I was planning on buying the rest of the ingredients mentioned in the Protein 2.0 article in order to make Blend 1 and 2, but are you recommending for me to avoid the blends in the aforementioned article?I've read through all the articles in the link you mentioned multiple times but the funny things is, I still have so many questions! With that said, I'm sure the book will answer most, if not all, of them.  😉One question regarding leucine. While I've established that leucine should only be taken PWO, including when that workout is in the morning, is it still okay to take leucine and whey protein every few hours with a meal until the end of the day like Kiefer suggests?

Naomi Most

One question regarding leucine. While I've established that leucine should only be taken PWO, including when that workout is in the morning, is it still okay to take leucine and whey protein every few hours with a meal until the end of the day like Kiefer suggests?

Not if you're doing Carb Back-Loading.  If you're just trying to bulk up and aren't worried about any potential fat gain, then you can do that.  Leucine and WPI raise insulin levels -- great for muscle growth but also great for storing fat if you're consuming too many calories.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Leucine – morning workout

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?