Lifting 3 days after first workout if muscles still sore?

• This topic has 4 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Zahid Saddique
    Participant

So I began the novice starting strength workout (did squats, military press and bent over rows with some chin ups and decline sit ups) on Tuesday and today is Friday and my body is still quite sore (but not painful as if injured). Can I do my next workout today and give another day or two rest???Thanks!

Richard Schmitt

Personally, work through it. Working through DOMS is the best way to relieve them.

Zahid Saddique
    Participant

Thank you! Can't wait to do my first deadlifts tonight!!! 😛

TCB
    Participant

Always work through DOMS when you've just started a new program. If you wait for it to subside before working out again, you're just prolonging the adaptation necessary to make DOMS be mostly a thing of the past.Just make sure you warm up well.

Zahid Saddique
    Participant

Thanks TCB!In you opinion what does "warming up well" consist of?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Thanks TCB!In you opinion what does "warming up well" consist of?

Unless you have mobility or muscle activation problems, the best way to warm up is simply doing the exercise with very light weight.  For instance if you are warming up for squats, squat the bar for a set and then put a little bit of weight and do a set.

Zahid Saddique
    Participant

Man, I love this forum, it's like having a group of coaches working with me! 🙂Here's what I plan to do for my 3 sets of squats...Squats (Need 2 10kg plates and 4 5kg plates)Warm up sets:Bar x 540kg x 350kg x 2Working sets:3 sets of 60kg x 5 reps Btw, some people advise 5m on the treadmill to start with. Is this necessary/recommended?Thanks again all!

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Man, I love this forum, it's like having a group of coaches working with me! 🙂Here's what I plan to do for my 3 sets of squats...Squats (Need 2 10kg plates and 4 5kg plates)Warm up sets:Bar x 540kg x 350kg x 2Working sets:3 sets of 60kg x 5 reps Btw, some people advise 5m on the treadmill to start with. Is this necessary/recommended?Thanks again all!

Depends.  I think it helps myself because I sit an office all day at work and I usually feel too relaxed from doing no physical activity all at the start of the workout.  The treadmill gets my heart rate up and I feel more physically ready.So if this is you, I'd do it.  I'd imagine if you train right after you wake up this would be an issue too.

TCB
    Participant

I like the movement prep approach to a warm up.. Usually beginning with breathing exercises, then working through the body to get to your full ROM for the day, restoring normal body mechanics, etc. Takes less than 10 minutes and by the time I'm done, I have a light sweat going. I also usually throw in a 500m casual row also, just because I like to be warm, literally, as in body temp.This is the basic template of what I do to warm up.http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2012/12/27/my-10-favorite-pre-training-drills/

Zahid Saddique
    Participant

Thank you guys! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lifting 3 days after first workout if muscles still sore?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?