Lifting belt, recommendations?

• This topic has 9 voices and 27 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

TCB
    Participant

Comfortable and cheap.http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-Competition-Classic-4-Inch-Lifting/dp/B00117YU70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400955928&sr=8-1&keywords=valeo+vcl+competition+classic+4-inch+lifting+belt

No.  A belt is not supposed to be comfortable.  Get a real power belt.

Ha. If you say so.I'm happy to take the recommendation of a high level weightlifting coach, though. Which was that belt.

A weightlifting belt and a power lifting belt are 2 different things.Just saying.

While that may, or may not, be the case.. the original post mentioned nothing about a specific sport. Regardless, to say that a belt is "not supposed to be comfortable" is silly. That's just a "You're not a real man unless..." statement. If it's functional, and happens to fit comfortably, there is no issue--Which was the only point of my post.

Comfortable and cheap.http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-Competition-Classic-4-Inch-Lifting/dp/B00117YU70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400955928&sr=8-1&keywords=valeo+vcl+competition+classic+4-inch+lifting+belt

Ha. If you say so.I'm happy to take the recommendation of a high level weightlifting coach, though. Which was that belt.

A weightlifting belt and a power lifting belt are 2 different things.Just saying.

While that may, or may not, be the case.. the original post mentioned nothing about a specific sport. Regardless, to say that a belt is "not supposed to be comfortable" is silly. That's just a "You're not a real man unless..." statement. If it's functional, and happens to fit comfortably, there is no issue--Which was the only point of my post.

A true powerlifting belt shouldn't be comfortable. Having it tight enough to get the most out of it sucks and you are looking forward to taking it off.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

1.  A Weightlifting belt is completely different than a power belt.  While Phatty never did mention what kind of belt he wanted, I am assuming that he wanted the belt for strength training, not weightlifting.  2.  You misunderstood what I was trying to say about a power belt.  In order for them to function properly they must be rather rigid, hard, thick, and made out of leather or suede.  Not exactly the recipe for comfort.  The one you posted is not like that.  A good power belt is not designed to be uncomfortable, it just is because of the properties it must have to function optimally.

Gl;itch.e

While we are on the subject of belts how about… you dont need one! IMO until you after lifting over 2x bodyweight you shouldn't need one atleast.

Phatty

While we are on the subject of belts how about... you dont need one! IMO until you after lifting over 2x bodyweight you shouldn't need one atleast.

The way I see it, if I'm lifting at 90% or more of my 1RM then that is heavy as fuck regardless of whether I'm lifting 1.5x BW or 2x or even 5x BW.

acarnovale
    Participant

While we are on the subject of belts how about... you dont need one! IMO until you after lifting over 2x bodyweight you shouldn't need one atleast.

The way I see it, if I'm lifting at 90% or more of my 1RM then that is heavy as fuck regardless of whether I'm lifting 1.5x BW or 2x or even 5x BW.

I think his point was not that what you're lifting isn't heavy but that you're not at the point training wise where a belt would be as useful as learning to create core stability but utilizing your breathing. For example, I currently have a 2.4xbw squat, 1.8xbw bench, and 2.9xbw deadlift all done without the use of a belt, just diaphragmatic breathing.I think that if you use a belt just make sure you're breathing in to it properly and getting 306 degrees of pressure. Here's a good video that explains what I'm trying to get across https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0NU__rSlH0

Phatty

I think his point was not that what you're lifting isn't heavy but that you're not at the point training wise where a belt would be as useful as learning to create core stability but utilizing your breathing. For example, I currently have a 2.4xbw squat, 1.8xbw bench, and 2.9xbw deadlift all done without the use of a belt, just diaphragmatic breathing.I think that if you use a belt just make sure you're breathing in to it properly and getting 306 degrees of pressure. Here's a good video that explains what I'm trying to get across https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0NU__rSlH0

I understand your point. I do breathe correctly when i lift (big breath in, push tongue to the roof of my mouth). I don't see how using a belt for heavier sets could hinder my progress, I'll buy one eventually anyway so why not now?

acarnovale
    Participant

I understand your point. I do breathe correctly when i lift (big breath in, push tongue to the roof of my mouth). I don't see how using a belt for heavier sets could hinder my progress, I'll buy one eventually anyway so why not now?

I doubt it will hinder anything. So long as your breathing properly and utilizing the belt as tool vs. a crutch you'll be fine. If you buy a powerlifting belt wear it a lot to help break it in and then once it's broken in I would just use it for your top sets.

Phatty

I doubt it will hinder anything. So long as your breathing properly and utilizing the belt as tool vs. a crutch you'll be fine. If you buy a powerlifting belt wear it a lot to help break it in and then once it's broken in I would just use it for your top sets.

That's pretty much my intention, just use it for sets over 80/90% of my 1RM. That's the point I was trying to get across early, 90% of my current 1RM of 130kg (deadlift ) is relative to someone lifting 90% of a 220kg 1RM.Of course the weight is heavier but the perceived effort to lift is the same in my opinion.

Gl;itch.e

That's pretty much my intention, just use it for sets over 80/90% of my 1RM. That's the point I was trying to get across early, 90% of my current 1RM of 130kg (deadlift ) is relative to someone lifting 90% of a 220kg 1RM.Of course the weight is heavier but the perceived effort to lift is the same in my opinion.

I dont see how that somehow necessitates the use of a belt though. Using this logic if someone has never lifted before and works up to a max of 10lbs do they somehow require a belt to do bodyweight squats because thats 90% of their 1RM? Absolute load is the factor for "needing" a belt IMO not relative percentages.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

There are different opinions on belts.  I don't think it matters.  If you increase your squat with a belt, you will increase it without a belt.  If anything, I think belts teach you how to breath properly because if you don't, the belt doesn't even help you.

TCB
    Participant

No real reason NOT to wear a belt. The scant research on the topic shows that the “core” musculature has no less activation using a belt, but increases leg muscle activation.

bigguysky

lever belts are great. Inzer forever belts and Toro belts are great.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lifting belt, recommendations?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?