Looking for Educated Opinions

• This topic has 8 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Would love to hear Kiefer's opinion of Inbar based cardio.Please anyone else who feels they are knowledgeable enough to answer do so. I am fond of the science behind the Inbar method and want to know how this would fit in to either CNS or SA. Interval cardio is great for shorter sessions, but I know on CNS I sometimes feel like I just got ran over due to decreased recover time and I would die if I did High Intensity.

bump

No one?

Richard Schmitt

I would help answer this just I'm not knowledgeable with this at all sorry sir.

I've tried google and can't find anything on “inbar cardio”Could you elaborate?

Inbar, is a system to calculate your true max heart rate. You would take your heart rate as soon as you wake up, maybe 3 days in a row. Get that resting heart rate, do an equation to calculate your max heart rate, then that would be used to choose a target heart rate. 70-80% is usually the “fat burning zone”that's a rough detail

Damon Amato
    Participant

Ok so you calculate max heart rate…..and do what with it?

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

@Dmunnee

that would be used to choose a target heart rate. 70-80% is usually the "fat burning zone"

Damon Amato
    Participant

So Inbar training is not actually a training regimen, just a way of calculating your max HR?

Yes, I use a mixture of Karvonen and Inbar calculations to get my target heart rate.They are equations directly calculated for the reason of cardiovascular work.I even started doing this in the first place because one of my friends has all his bodybuilding clients do their cardio this way. You figure out your target range and you have your heart rate travel through that range, but always stay in it. That way you are always burning fat and your intensity is always changing (speed, resistance, gradient)

Richard Schmitt

Holy…yep I think for the next three mornings I'm tracking my HR and calculating it. Thanks for this Junkie!

Holy...yep I think for the next three mornings I'm tracking my HR and calculating it. Thanks for this Junkie!

haha sure, give it a try. I like it because sometimes I want to do longer cardio. It's relaxing sometimes to stare off and do the bike or treadmill.

saucyjay

The calculations: Inbar = (205.8 - 0.685 * Age) * % of Max Karvonen = ((220 - Age - Avg. Morning Resting Heart Rate) * % of Max) + Avg. Morning Resting Heart Rate

Jeffrey Hansen
    Participant

Something to add to the equation, I was listening to Dr. Doug McGuff who wrote a book body by science here http://www.bulletproofexec.com/podcast-26-body-by-science-with-dr-doug-mcguff-md/. (Being interviewes by Dave Asprey) and he said heart rate is worthless for monitoring anything on its own.  To paraphrase him, the most important measurement is “compression” or “pressure”, (I forget the actual term he used). He says to find what your heart is truly doing you need that and you could add that to heart rate, but the body will adjust the compression with any elevated heart rate.  So, elevated heart rate does not tell you how hard the heart is actually working because in long term cardio it will adapt and and lower the “compression”, thus not helping with increasing your cardio.  He along with others suggest long term cardio actually will decrease your cardio strength. (Kiefer does not like it either). That is a long way to say, it seems unlikely heart rate will help you determine any type of fat burning zone. 

Well… what is the definition of long term cardio? What is the threshold to reach “long term”? I am referring to maybe 45-1.5hr instead of 20-30 minutes of HIITI'm sure the actual contraction of the heart muscle plays a factor and that it does adjust rate and contraction amount to be more efficient. Unfortunately, the aspects of adding this to the equation would be completely make it impossible to figure out what your body is doing. I'd imagine you would need to be tested at rest and in an elevated state such as running on a treadmill. You would need monitoring and maybe even dye to blood to see force (psi) that the blood is flowing at each point in time.Also I'm curious what cardio strength really is? Oxygen efficiency?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Looking for Educated Opinions

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?