Meet Prep/Meet Day results

• This topic has 2 voices and 14 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Just wanted to say thanks to Naomi for her recommendation on CNS to help make weight for my past meet.I lost 21 lbs to make weight (the day before weigh-ins) and CNS had me primed to do so.  I then managed to put 27 back on before the meet and went out and set a new American Record (APC - 82.5kg raw open) in the squat as well as qualified for nationals where I'll be looking to reset my squat record, take the deadlift record, total record, and get my first elite total (should of had it at qualifiers but screwed the pooch on some technique things).CBL has allowed me to really keep my strength going up while keeping my bodyweight under control (can't get too far out of my "it's possible to make weight from here zone") and CNS has really allowed me to dial in my meet prep.Thanks again!

nice work

ashylarry

What kind of training did you do for meet prep? I'm trying to do similar, although I'm single ply. Still I'm trying to make the 181's in August, I'm 198 right now. Also, did I read that right, you were 209 on the platform?!

209 on the platform is correct.  I know how to manipulate my body drastically.My training is conjugate method for the most part - longer accumulation blocs followed by intensification blocs followed by a realization bloc.Mon:  Bench (Marietta Barbell)Tues:  Accessory - abs, shoulders, active recovery for bench and squat, loaded carriesWed:  Deadlift (Marietta Barbell)Thurs:  Accessory - abs, biceps, loaded carries (different than what I did tues)Friday:  Dynamic Effort BenchSaturday:  Squats (Marietta Barbell)Sunday:  Recovery stuff around the houseThis interim period between qualifiers and nationals is a bit short so I'm not really peaking for nationals, just trying to ride it on through and have a good meet with the performance I'm capable of (wasn't the case at the qualifier).  Looking to win nationals and then I'll peak for worlds in November.  Also intending on doing a USAPL single ply meet so I can qualify for the Arnold next year.

VikingsAD28

Did you do any water manipulation to make weight? If so, what is your protocol?

Sure did – I run a CNS prep phase 2 weeks out (pretty much zero carb) then I do the following:Plan: Been having around 2.5-3 gallons of water a day with high sodium/potassium for the past few days. Been super low carb (under 30g/day) for the last 10 days. Wed: Restrict Salt at dinner, switch to distilled water Thurs: 3 meals before 2 PM - mainly asparagus, celery, peanut butter, and protein shakes in coconut milk. Each meal will also have: 500mg Dandelion Root, 400 mg Caffeine, 99mg Potassium. Water intake will be about 1/3rd what it normally is at this point - no more than 1/2 gallon. 2 PM-4PM = Nap time 4 PM = Start of dehydration process using 15 min sub-scalding baths and steam. Minimum of 2 baths per hour. Depending on how this goes through the night I may take another nap at some point. In reality I would do 3 cycles in the steam room, hop out for a few mins, then go to the sauna and read a book for a bit (helped with the mental aspect), hope out take a slightly longer break and then get back in the steam. If I started to get really overheated I'd run cold water over my scalp but was careful to avoid minimizing water contact with my skin (at that point my body would have reabsorbed water through the skin and anything you reabsorb you have to get back out to make weight). I would also chew on ice chips and then spit them out for a bit of sanity. Fri: Weigh-in (I'll be so pretty all dried out! I'll also feel like death most likely). 10:00 AM - I make weight! Immediately following making weight - 2 pedialytes + 2 nalgenes of distilled water + 2.75 tbsp of glycerol (based on bodyweight) mixed in each one as well as 5g creatine monohydrate. Also supplement with 300mg ALA. Get this down asap. I'll then proceed to have solid meals keeping carbs around 4:1 ratio and trying to pack in the food. Each meal will have 5g creatine monohydrate, 300mg ALA, 75mg Salt, and I'll take 200mg potassium (4 pills) throughout the day. Target Weight: 210-215. NOTE: I ended up using steam room/sauna instead of hot baths which I felt worked very well. I also only got my weight back up to 207 after making weight instead of the anticipated 210. Fell asleep some on Friday and didn't get enough solid food in me.It worked out pretty well but I'll make sure to get more carbs and sodium in after making weight to get my weight higher and prevent cramping.  Also a training update:  I've been doing a pseudo CNS/CBL (2 carb back loads a week on deadlift and squat days the rest is run like CNS) to recomp slightly lower since 21 lbs in 16 hours sucked.  The first 15 came off easy so that was my target to recomp to - to make it so I only had to cut around 15.I hit a 550 squat on Saturday (empty stomach) and a 600 rev band squat (-30 at the bottom, 0 at the top).  Training has been going great while applying Kiefer's principals and I even have pretty abs now.  I'll be most likely going for 600 at APC Nationals here in 2 weeks which would put me tied for 7th on powerliftingwatch all time list for squat in the 181 raw classification.  Hoping to be able to keep things going and eventually topple that 625 that's currently posted as #1!  Thanks again Kiefer for all you do.

gary

Sure did - I run a CNS prep phase 2 weeks out (pretty much zero carb) then I do the following:Plan: Been having around 2.5-3 gallons of water a day with high sodium/potassium for the past few days. Been super low carb (under 30g/day) for the last 10 days. Wed: Restrict Salt at dinner, switch to distilled water Thurs: 3 meals before 2 PM - mainly asparagus, celery, peanut butter, and protein shakes in coconut milk. Each meal will also have: 500mg Dandelion Root, 400 mg Caffeine, 99mg Potassium. Water intake will be about 1/3rd what it normally is at this point - no more than 1/2 gallon. 2 PM-4PM = Nap time 4 PM = Start of dehydration process using 15 min sub-scalding baths and steam. Minimum of 2 baths per hour. Depending on how this goes through the night I may take another nap at some point. In reality I would do 3 cycles in the steam room, hop out for a few mins, then go to the sauna and read a book for a bit (helped with the mental aspect), hope out take a slightly longer break and then get back in the steam. If I started to get really overheated I'd run cold water over my scalp but was careful to avoid minimizing water contact with my skin (at that point my body would have reabsorbed water through the skin and anything you reabsorb you have to get back out to make weight). I would also chew on ice chips and then spit them out for a bit of sanity. Fri: Weigh-in (I'll be so pretty all dried out! I'll also feel like death most likely). 10:00 AM - I make weight! Immediately following making weight - 2 pedialytes + 2 nalgenes of distilled water + 2.75 tbsp of glycerol (based on bodyweight) mixed in each one as well as 5g creatine monohydrate. Also supplement with 300mg ALA. Get this down asap. I'll then proceed to have solid meals keeping carbs around 4:1 ratio and trying to pack in the food. Each meal will have 5g creatine monohydrate, 300mg ALA, 75mg Salt, and I'll take 200mg potassium (4 pills) throughout the day. Target Weight: 210-215. NOTE: I ended up using steam room/sauna instead of hot baths which I felt worked very well. I also only got my weight back up to 207 after making weight instead of the anticipated 210. Fell asleep some on Friday and didn't get enough solid food in me.It worked out pretty well but I'll make sure to get more carbs and sodium in after making weight to get my weight higher and prevent cramping.  Also a training update:  I've been doing a pseudo CNS/CBL (2 carb back loads a week on deadlift and squat days the rest is run like CNS) to recomp slightly lower since 21 lbs in 16 hours sucked.  The first 15 came off easy so that was my target to recomp to - to make it so I only had to cut around 15.I hit a 550 squat on Saturday (empty stomach) and a 600 rev band squat (-30 at the bottom, 0 at the top).  Training has been going great while applying Kiefer's principals and I even have pretty abs now.  I'll be most likely going for 600 at APC Nationals here in 2 weeks which would put me tied for 7th on powerliftingwatch all time list for squat in the 181 raw classification.  Hoping to be able to keep things going and eventually topple that 625 that's currently posted as #1!  Thanks again Kiefer for all you do.

Great overview. Assuming you gleaned this from How to Lose 30 lbs in 24 hours. REALLY works. I did a trail run before Worlds last year and lost 18lbs, 220-202, with about 90% effort. More importantly was able to regain the 18lbs and felt decent during my mock meet the next day. Unfortunately ruptured tricep tendon prior to meet workout so didn't get to implement in 100% real conditions with travel and all. Am going to do it again this year. Will be interested to see how it works for you. Love rea lhardcore shit. Good luck and nail the squat. respect

It's a mix of Tim Ferris stuff and Matt Kroc's stuff (Tim quotes Matt even in his own stuff) and I found out what works for me.  That being said I'll be tweaking it some this next go around and I did decide to recomp slightly lower so that it's only going to be about a 15-16 lb weight drop instead of 21.  As far as trail running goes - both Tim and Matt say to try and avoid exercise induced dehydration as recovery from it is severely impaired and it's likely to affect your performance negatively at the meet so I'll be sticking with my steam room and hot bath.  Bummer to hear about you not getting to implement in real competition conditions and hopefully your tricep has healed up!

gary

It's a mix of Tim Ferris stuff and Matt Kroc's stuff (Tim quotes Matt even in his own stuff). As far as trail running goes - both Tim and Matt say to try and avoid exercise induced dehydration as recovery from it is severely impaired and it's likely to affect your performance negatively at the meet so I'll be sticking with my steam room and hot bath.  Bummer to hear about you not getting to implement in real competition conditions and hopefully your tricep has healed up!

Thought it looked like a hybrid of Kroc's and Ferris. I must have mistyped. I meant trial run, went through the protocol as outlined implemented much of Kroc's brutal cut as you do. NO EXERCISE induced dehydration. .As Ferris mentions you should give it a try before you do it for a competition  Not a TRAIL run! Hell I wouldn't run unless the buffet was almost out of shrimp.Been 5 months since surgery coming back slowly. Anyway, good luck again.

acarnovale

How far out would you do a trial run of a cut like this? I only have 5 pounds to lose to make weight, but want to have something in my back pocket in case.

Do it no where close to a meet.  I wouldn't do this more than once every 3 months or so.  5 lbs is easy so it's not quite so drastic a cut but when you start dropping 10% or more of your bodyweight in a day I'm sure it has some “other” health effects even if you manage to regain it and perform great.  It's simply rough on the body.

acarnovale

Do it no where close to a meet.  I wouldn't do this more than once every 3 months or so.  5 lbs is easy so it's not quite so drastic a cut but when you start dropping 10% or more of your bodyweight in a day I'm sure it has some "other" health effects even if you manage to regain it and perform great.  It's simply rough on the body.

Thanks for the reply. I'm 4 weeks out right now and am usually sitting around 146 in the mornings (need to weight 145 or under on meet day). I was thinking of just trying to do the water restriction and maybe one hot bath to see if I can get down to 140lbs and make sure I have a buffer for any scale differences. What do you think?

Honestly I don't see a reason to do it.  You're only 3 lbs over.  I just used the method to drop 21 lbs, I can guarantee you'll be able to do it for 3 lbs, probably only need one or two bath cycles even.  A 3 lb drop is something I'd even do for a 2 hour weigh in instead of a 24 so you can try it out if you want but I really see no need or reason to and my general philosophy around training is that if there isn't a need or reason to do something, don't do it.As a side note continuing with my results, I just finished up my last opener before my meet next weekend.  Very easy 515 squat that flew up.  Looks like I'll be taking a shot at 600 on my 3rd attempt to put me in the top 10 list for powerlifting watch 181 raw squatters.

mickolus54

you cut 21lbs from water manipulation or 21 including CBL?

21 from water manipulation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Meet Prep/Meet Day results

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?