More Productive Rest Periods

• This topic has 6 voices and 18 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Fairy
    Keymaster

If I use a 3 minute rest period and take 10, that's 30 minutes standing around in the gym doing not much. Any ideas on productive things to do in 3 min breaks?

bioengineer

Check my phone, fire a few texts, stare at people doing squats….hrmm….not sure what you could do while not looking like a creeper bahahaOnly thing I can think of is to stare at people rofl

Jas0n

recover from the set? what training protocol are you using? sounds very user friendly

meeh

This is a good topic. I think proper rest periods inbetween sets is important for good results. I have found that you reach failure/fatigue much quicker with short rest periods like 20-40seconds, depending on the movemvent. And it very often results in less reps/weight/load and you get stuck in a rut.I'd prefer 2-4 minute rest on big/heavy lifts like squats, deadlifts and pullups. On smaller movements like biceps curl, flyes, lateral raises i'd prefer 1-2 minutes depending on the weight/reps used.I hope to see some good information in here 🙂

Fairy

@Meeh Cool, thanks for those guidelines

guitarjon
    Participant

This is a good topic. I think proper rest periods inbetween sets is important for good results. I have found that you reach failure/fatigue much quicker with short rest periods like 20-40seconds, depending on the movemvent. And it very often results in less reps/weight/load and you get stuck in a rut.I totally agree with this.  A lot of days I feel like I'm wasting time in between sets but notice particularly with things like pullups, chinups, deadlifts etc. that if I rush it, I fatigue much quicker, and that really slows my momentum.  Not to mention the effect that has on my focus.I'd prefer 2-4 minute rest on big/heavy lifts like squats, deadlifts and pullups. On smaller movements like biceps curl, flyes, lateral raises i'd prefer 1-2 minutes depending on the weight/reps used.

bioengineer

Charles Poliquin has written a little about rest periodization in his books and really feels that the answer is to train with different rest periods throughout strength cycles. My take away from reading his stuff was always that if you're training for lower volume strength gains, that the lifter shoulder fully recover with rest periods between 1 and 3 minutes. If you're trying to train through lactate threshholds then a shorter rest period of 30 seconds to 1 minute is required. It really depends if you're training to meet superficial goals (nothing wrong with that) or seeking performance gains through sport-specific training.If one would have to choose the best answer to approach the average it would be to vary your rest periods throughout strength cycles  - here is what the big man had to say...."Programming appropriate, yet distinct, rest periods are critical for eliciting a testosterone (T) and Growth Hormone (GH) response. Using forced reps can elevate T more, while training to failure gives a greater boost in GH and your Insulin-Like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1). Isometric pauses within a lift will allow you to bump up IGF-1 levels, and using eccentric-enhanced lifts will increase GH. But, clearly all of these key variables for making you stronger and leaner can’t be put into a single workout and need to be carefully programmed to get the most out of your gym time. "

Fairy

@BioEngineer Thanks for the info! At the moment, I've chosen my goal to be fatloss. Kiefer wrote in his latest article that 1-3 minutes are most conductive to fatloss so I'll probably go with this.

khr86

If I use a 3 minute rest period and take 10, that's 30 minutes standing around in the gym doing not much. Any ideas on productive things to do in 3 min breaks?

-planking for ab work-prehab/rehab movements-facepulls/neckpulls 30rep ranges-supermans-any dynamic stretching movement-jumps and throws focusing on power and form not reps-really small muscle movements: 4 way neck machine, adductor machine ect.-antagonist muscle stretching-walk around yelling 'light weight' and 'yea buddy' to everyone.

Sit on my ass and recover.

Fairy

There is such thing as a neck machine? What's a facepull…?

There is such thing as a neck machine? What's a facepull...?

Yes, though I think I've only seen one once.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQS-tXL1CLgFacepull, awesome for rear delts.

I use that time for light dynamic stretching and sometimes posing.  Keeping the blood flowing through the intended muscle(s), and stretching the fascia for better growth.  I also feel it keeps my mind connected to the muscles better.That said, unless I am trying to put on mass specifically (i.e., bulking phase), I only rest 45-60 seconds.  During heavy mass building programs, I rest 1-3 minutes (bodypart and exercise dependant).  This is b/c when I am mass building, my goal is not trying to lose fat, but add lean muscle.Cory

Fairy

Looks cool, thanks for the vid

Lauren Norfleet
    Participant

@BioEngineer Thanks for the info! At the moment, I've chosen my goal to be fatloss. Kiefer wrote in his latest article that 1-3 minutes are most conductive to fatloss so I'll probably go with this.

+1, i made a note of that too from Kiefer's suggestion. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for ideas as well. Thanks for starting it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More Productive Rest Periods

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?